PDA

View Full Version : New Forum Software - Saturday, Feb. 27

Scott Tichenor
Feb-24-2010, 10:04am
A notice that we will be installing the next generation of forum software for our message board soon. Right now the plan is for very early this Saturday morning and you can expect down time for the forum for at least 2-4 hours. While there are a lot of very new features, the essential nuts and bolts of how this forum is put together will be the same. Not that it's without new features and some things moved around, but where possible, I've made attempts to keep it as close as possible to the existing forum...including the important stuff like the right smilies ~:>

Stay tuned.

Scott Tichenor
Feb-24-2010, 1:21pm
Here's a screen shot of what it's going to look like. Kind of hard in that amount of detail but it's a very long page and got seriously scaled down, but all of the forum detail is essentially identical with exception of different navigation related to each user's login which now appears it the upper right-hand corner.

Scott Tichenor
Feb-24-2010, 1:58pm
Here's the full screen shot:

http://www.mandolincafe.net/forum.jpg

journeybear
Feb-24-2010, 2:43pm
Hi Scott

Looks really snazzy so far. :cool: Glad you're keeping "the important stuff like the right smilies." Though if you could, while you're at it, find and add a smilie that's shrugging its shoulders, that would be a great addition.

Thanks for all you do to make this the best mandolin site in the known universe! :mandosmiley:

sunburst
Feb-24-2010, 3:45pm
... and a "droolie".

Link
Feb-24-2010, 4:05pm
I don't particularly like it, but hey, whatever.

Scott Tichenor
Feb-25-2010, 10:06am
At this time we don't know for sure whether the new forum software will retain the login cookie, but we are investigating that. For those of you who don't know your passwords--and I know there are hundreds of you because I get emails every day--you might want to go into your Control Panel and change it to something you can remember.

You can change your email and password starting here (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/profile.php?do=editpassword).

A reminder that at any time you attempt to login and can't remember your password there is a link you can use to retrieve a reset/new password without the need to contact me. It is not necessary to contact me when this occurs--but some of you will anyway.

That page starts here (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/login.php?do=lostpw). Note that if the email address associated with your account is no longer valid, you cannot retrieve the password. Use the link above to ensure you have a valid email that you can access is associated with your account.

Scott Tichenor
Feb-25-2010, 1:21pm
Still researching whether we will all need to login again. Meanwhile, once the new forum software is in place, there's a new location for that. See screen captures below that show the new and old locations.

Again, if you do not know your password, this will likely be problematic for you. Please review the post above that contains the information you'll need to know.

Paul Hostetter
Feb-25-2010, 6:59pm
A small suggestion. In the current page layout for the individual forums, the "Forum Jump" dropdown is waaaaayy at the bottom - only. It'd be really nice if there was another right at the top, too.

journeybear
Feb-27-2010, 10:08am
Have we lost "New Posts?" Or have I just not found it yet? :confused:

Oh - there it is, upper left. I was "right" the second time ... Oops! :redface:

BTW, I'm still getting used to losing the message pane in favor of the quick reply, as it's down at the bottom of the page and you have to click on "Go Advanced" to access all the goodies that used to show up aoutomatically. On the plus side, I like the addition of Undo, Redo, and especially the spell check function. I used to have to copy and paste into another program and then paste back. I LOVE having this function here. Thank you SO much for this! :) :grin: :mandosmiley:

Scott Tichenor
Feb-27-2010, 10:20am
Please post a separate thread for inquiries.