PDA

View Full Version : Foot Percussion (new social group)

mandocrucian
Feb-19-2010, 10:11am
Just created a Foot Percussion (and more) (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/group.php?groupid=152) social group. Perhaps there are folks that use foot driven percussion/tapping/etc. to fatten up their sound or grooves? Or those that may find the idea of interest? Anyway, parked in that location,it's out-of-the-way, and under-the radar for anyone who may be interested. Take a look.

(Incidentally, for anyone who playing flute, whistle and those type wind instruments, there is also a Flute Doublers (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/group.php?groupid=21), in the "social groups")

Niles Hokkanen

BTW: I put in way, way more time in both those musical areas than I do these days in playing the mandolin(s).

Rob Gerety
Feb-19-2010, 10:25am
Oh man this is a terrific idea! I have been dying to learn to do the Quebecois style foot percussion for a long time. I make feeble stabs at it - but maybe with some help from folks here I can get it down once and for all and weave it into my music. The Quebecois style is used a lot here in New England. Its also a good bit of exercise for old ##### like me.

dmahling
Mar-22-2010, 1:41pm
Not much activity here in years. Meanwhile it seems that a lot of foot percussion instruments, mainly australian, have entered the marked. bassbox, porchboard, acoust stomp boxes. Tons of stuff to buy or even build yourself.

has anyone around here delved into that sound pool? Would love to hear from you. Anyhoo, I'll go ahead and probably build a quick and dirty porchboard with either a piezo or a contact mic. I may also incorporate my bodhran. And I have some ideas for 2 or 3 bass sounds by going into the direction of an amped simply xylophon.

Rob Gerety
Mar-22-2010, 2:12pm
I know that Keith Murphy (Nightingale etc.) uses a porch board arrangement - I believe he has a pick up of some sort involved with it - running through a pre amp to the house PA. Works very well. Also, Paul Asbell, has a porch board arrangement of some sort he is using at gigs. You might want to contact them. Both have web sites.

Earl Gamage
Mar-23-2010, 4:39pm
http://www.farmerfootdrums.com/

Funny that you would post this. I was looking at this website after seeing a foot cabasa at musician's friend.

Looks like a lot of fun.

...and Master of None
Mar-23-2010, 5:57pm
Not much activity here in years. Meanwhile it seems that a lot of foot percussion instruments, mainly australian, have entered the marked. bassbox, porchboard, acoust stomp boxes. Tons of stuff to buy or even build yourself.

has anyone around here delved into that sound pool? Would love to hear from you. Anyhoo, I'll go ahead and probably build a quick and dirty porchboard with either a piezo or a contact mic. I may also incorporate my bodhran. And I have some ideas for 2 or 3 bass sounds by going into the direction of an amped simply xylophon.

I have the "porchboard bass." I'd seen one at the Dallas Guitar Show a couple of years ago so last year I made it a point to get one. I haven't used it a lot because we have a drummer now. Works pretty good, though.

John

Gerard Dick
Mar-23-2010, 6:33pm
Foot percussion? Sounds like Stompin' Tom Connors.:grin:

Rob Gerety
Mar-23-2010, 8:12pm
This is the sort of foot percussion I am interested in:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1LfPauLdFY

...and Master of None
Mar-23-2010, 10:36pm
Ahhh, clogging in a chair... :)

Rob Gerety
Mar-25-2010, 5:08pm
Pascal is a stunningly talented and accomplished Quebecois fiddler. The foot tapping he does is classic French Canadian. They all do it. At speed it really drives the music. If you attend contra dances in New England - and elsewhere around the country - you will hear a lot of this sort of thing. Any gathering of Quebecois traditional musicians will feature this sort of thing. Here is another example:

oYRqAF1Vdhs

woodwizard
Mar-25-2010, 5:30pm
Yup! a little chair buck dancing. I like that.

fred d
Mar-26-2010, 6:06am
I made one sort off Used a single drum pedal on a 2/6 -----try to hit 1/4 beat

Dan Hulse
Mar-02-2016, 1:13pm
Hi can't seem to locate this group or at least the link is bad. Does it still exist?
Recently purchased a Roland TM-2 drum module and am trying to assemble a stomp type trigger using some relatively inexpensive Simmons drum triggers, which are actually just very large transducers (and do the job in and of themselves, but the TM-2 has more sounds than just a thud). Recently inspired by the likes of the East Pointers. Primarily looking for electronic or acoustic/electric ideas. Discussion?