PDA

View Full Version : The Month of Failing Elixirs

Rehashchap
Feb-18-2010, 12:26am
I have recently begun gigging with a viola-playing friend of mine, and have found myself playing some fast songs that require flawless timing and tight strum patterns. Having experienced the magic of Elixir Nanoweb strings on a previous mandolin, I finally ordered some up for my new Epiphone F5 (a modest model, but it's coming into its own and sounding better everyday). I ordered two sets of medium gauge. When the strings that were already on my F5 broke, I was more than happy to replace them with the new, shiny, guaranteed-to-forgive-my-sweaty-fingers Elixirs. I strung them up, and they sounded great.

Three weeks later, I released a stream of obscenities during a practice session as I felt one of the D strings give out and break. I thought to myself, "That's OK. I've been playing quite a bit and have been working on some fast and difficult strum patterns that I probably wasn't getting the best angle of attack on at first." So I painstakingly restrung my mandolin with the other set of Elixirs, relieved when they were finally tuned up and ready to go.

A week later, I found myself releasing another, more colorful stream of obscenities as I felt the D string give way again during a practice session. I was in awe. A single week had gone by, and I looked down to see a popped string and seven others that didn't look too great themselves.

I vowed that I would never buy Elixir's again, and decided to put on a pair of those trusty D'Addario bronzes that you see in every guitar store. Imagine my shock when I looked at them after a day of playing to find them corroded, and nick in the winding of the D string, no less!

So now I open the floor to ask if anyone else has had similar experiences with Elixirs. I understand people's reservations about their tone and feel, but I never thought I would be pledging disloyalty to them on account of the reason they are supposed to be so great in the first place. And that's the 'revolutionary' Nanoweb coating that is supposed to give people with acid-fingers(still not sure if I suffer from that) a reason not to want to throw their precious baby across the room.

Simply put, I still want to have faith in those Elixirs, but am finding it quite difficult at the moment. And after all of this, are there any suggestions for alternative strings?

...and Master of None
Feb-18-2010, 12:37am
Hmmm. If you'll forgive some non-mando content... I used to play with a guy who used Elixers on his Taylor 415CE Jumbo. He was always breaking strings, usually the g or b, and he mostly finger-picked those so I don't think he was hammering them with a hard pick or anything. He broke strings so often (and always right at the bridge) that I recommended that he take the guitar in and have somebody make sure there wasn't a bur on the bridge or something.

I seem to recall that he did and the shop said it was fine. He kept on breaking strings. I had the same guitar, except not the cutaway electric, pounded the daylights out of my D'Addario phosphor bronze strings and never broke a one.

Your post makes me wonder if it was the brand of strings he was using...

John

Chris Biorkman
Feb-18-2010, 12:40am
Maybe the problem is with your new mandolin and not with the strings. I've used Nanowebs in the past and never had a problem with them breaking.

Rehashchap
Feb-18-2010, 12:42am
Maybe the problem is with your new mandolin and not with the strings. I've used Nanowebs in the past and never had a problem with them breaking.

Well other strings have never given me these kind of problems, and there's nothing so bad about my mandolin that could cause such a catastrophe.

Douglas McMullin
Feb-18-2010, 6:55am
Sounds to me like perhaps there is either a bad batch of Elixirs, or there is some issue with the instrument. I have gone through at at least a hundred sets of Elixirs by now and I have never broken a string, nor have I ever heard of a similar issue from the many people that I know who use them.

Ted Eschliman
Feb-18-2010, 7:39am
It happens to other brands. The D string being the smallest wound string (unless you're using other than plain As) is the hardest to manfucture properly on a mandolin set, the highest tension. I won't even begin to tell you the nightmares I've had with my own proprietary Labella flatwounds. At least they give me single replacements to give my customers. It's a pain, but a good string company will stand behind their mistakes if you ask.

John Bertotti
Feb-18-2010, 8:02am
This is not arreflection on your instrument. Things happen. I would double check the frets and the way the strings sit at the nut and bridge or better yet have a good set up person take a look just to be sure. Never know maybe there is a littel tweak that can improve their life.

Tripp Johnson
Feb-18-2010, 8:17am
Are they breaking in the same spot on the D string? Could it be a point of contact issue?

MikeEdgerton
Feb-18-2010, 8:29am
I'd be looking at the bridge, tailpiece, and the nut depending on where they are breaking. I'd also be looking at my string method if they are breaking at the tuner post. There's a lot here to look at before you condem the strings.

GVD
Feb-18-2010, 10:02am
Have you tried the new EXP's yet? I love standard J74 PB's but like you my skin can kill them real quick. I've found the new EXP 74's last 3 to 4 times longer than the standard J74's.

MikeEdgerton
Feb-18-2010, 11:07am
They must really last then, I have a set of J74's that have been on my mandolin over a year.

doc holiday
Feb-18-2010, 12:20pm
Breakage is common and well-known with Elixirs. They are the only string I've broken on an acoustic guitar in the last 10 years. I'm in the camp with the other mandolin player here who don't change strings often. Pearse or D'Addario already last forever on a mandolin. I once had a Weber Yellowstone that was shipped with Elixirs, but that's the only time I've played them on a mando. I'm sure my box of J74s will last the next 4 or 5 years
~o)

Douglas McMullin
Feb-18-2010, 7:56pm
Breakage is common and well-known with Elixirs.

This is the first I have heard of a breakage issue specific to Elixirs, and I have been using them in different forms since they came to market in the mid 1990's. Perhaps it is specific to a particular set or weight, but I have never broken an Elixir guitar or mandolin string.

GVD
Feb-18-2010, 8:10pm
They must really last then, I have a set of J74's that have been on my mandolin over a year.

Wow I can kill a set of J74's in under 3 weeks.

MikeEdgerton
Feb-18-2010, 9:14pm
Wow I can kill a set of J74's in under 3 weeks.

I have skill.... and my body chemistry doesn't seem to affect them much. :)