PDA

View Full Version : Two best mandolins 4 $1000

backwoodsborn10
Feb-16-2010, 11:21pm
looking to weigh in on expert advice; what are the best two mandolins that $1000 can buy? I'm a biuegrass player and i'm not married to an f style. Soooo watcha think?

Patrick Gunning
Feb-17-2010, 12:15am
Used Gibson A9
Used Flatiron Festival A

You can find both of these at $1000-ish

JonZ
Feb-17-2010, 12:15am
Get ready for an avalanche of people telling you you are asking the wrong question.:disbelief:

Patrick Market
Feb-17-2010, 12:20am
What he said... :popcorn:

sgarrity
Feb-17-2010, 12:25am
Get ready for an avalanche of people telling you you are asking the wrong question.:disbelief:

What's the right question then?? He plays bluegrass and he's not dead set on an F5.....that opens up a lot of options. Gibby A9, Flatirons, a new Kentucky KM900, a used KM1000......lots of options.....:mandosmiley:

MikeEdgerton
Feb-17-2010, 8:55am
U will do better used 4 under $1000.00.

JonZ
Feb-17-2010, 9:46am
What's the right question then??

It is a perfectly reasonable question. It just seems to be hard to get a straight forward answer to that kind of question on the Café. (You can add my first response to the pile.)

I like the Breedlove Quartz for around a grand.

Patrick Market
Feb-17-2010, 10:17am
It just seems to be hard to get a straight forward answer to that kind of question on the Café.

For as much as I enjoy the MC, JonZ has a point. I've seen the phrase "dog pile" here, as well as "echo chamber" to describe responses to this kind of question.

That said, I'll pile on and mention the nice little Weber A-style I played recently---it was used, and right around $1K. WOOF Woof woof..

(And my advice is *NOT* expert.) :)

JEStanek
Feb-17-2010, 10:41am
If possible play as many different models as possible. If possible goto a store/jam/tasting party and get your hands on as many as possible. Find a brand that fits you and your budget. Then buy the best one of those you can afford. You will get more instrument for your money if you buy used than new, and get an A style rather than an F style, in general. Many of the voicing opinions are very taste specific to the person offering you advice. I like Eastman's mandolins because of the neck shape. A used Gibson A9, Rigel A, could also be in the cards along with the Breedloves and Webers. A used Kentucky KM-1000 would be nice too.

Jamie

Mandolin Mick
Feb-17-2010, 10:48am
My biased answer is a used Gibson F-9, if you can find one at that price. But, chances are you'd find an A-9 much easier; since you're not married to an F ...

fiddledoc
Feb-17-2010, 11:35am
I played the new Kentucky KM900 prototype at SPGBMA and was blown away. The rep said dealers should have them available very soon.

tburcham
Feb-17-2010, 1:57pm
The Breedlove FF in the classifieds for $ 1300 is a great bargain and a superb instrument...I should know I used to own it. The Loar 600 and 700 are excellent for less than $ 1K.

sgarrity
Feb-17-2010, 3:03pm
It is a perfectly reasonable question. It just seems to be hard to get a straight forward answer to that kind of question on the Café.

The questions that you usually can't get a straight answer to are the, "What's the best mandolin for $xxxx." There's not enough info in that question to provide a straight forward answer.

The OP on the other hand told us that he 1) plays bluegrass, 2) is willing to look at A-styles, and 3) has about $1000 to spend. And I think he's gotten some pretty good suggestions. :grin:

big h
Feb-17-2010, 5:42pm
One of the best A style mandolins I have played was the Kentucky km900 at Gruhn's. I was totally blown away by how great a tone and bark it had. Definitely worth the money.

Stephen Perry
Feb-17-2010, 5:50pm
I played the new Kentucky KM900 prototype at SPGBMA and was blown away. The rep said dealers should have them available very soon.

Ditto

Skip Kelley
Feb-17-2010, 5:53pm
Play all you can of those in that price range and then buy the one you just can't put down.

Pete Hicks
Feb-17-2010, 6:15pm
There are some nice mandos in the classifieds right now in your range.:whistling:

Seeyououtthere
Feb-17-2010, 10:18pm
Breedloves are always a good option at a reasonable price. You can usually find used OF's for around $700-$800. I'm always amazed at the volume they have.

JonZ
Feb-18-2010, 10:24am
And I think he's gotten some pretty good suggestions. :grin:

That's because of my Whithering Sarcasm First Strike.:))

Most people asking for suggestions on mandolins in a certain price range do so because they are not yet confident in there ability to gauge quality. They are concerned that the brassy blond that grabs their initial interest may not be the best long-term choice.

(Talkin' 'bout mandolins, of course.):whistling:

Hence, the need for specific recommendations rather than "Choose the one that speaks to you."

Of course, more specifics on the type of music you play helps with more specifics on recommendations.

mandobuzz
Feb-18-2010, 10:53am
I second the opinion that Eastman can make a good mandolin for under $1,000.

mandroid
Feb-18-2010, 1:02pm
Play all you can of those in that price range and then buy the one you just can't put down.
I have to agree with that , .. because as a thing made out of a natural material, Wood,

there will be a sound produced variation, that you can hear, when it is in your hands,
even though the finish on the outside, is standardized.

and a neck feel, shape, that also is difficult to describe with words.. or saying D or V section.
:popcorn:

Atlanta Mando Mike
Feb-18-2010, 3:39pm
Gibson A-9

Greg Potter
Feb-18-2010, 7:57pm
Danny Clark has a black top Fraley A that I would be looking at.

jim_n_virginia
Feb-18-2010, 8:59pm
Used Gibson A9
Used Flatiron Festival A

I agree! Gibson or Flatiron! There is an nice looking Flatiron in the classifieds now for $1075 that looks great and ready to play!

And seriously I have not heard an A9 (or F9 for that matter) didn't sound as good as mandolins that cost 3 times as much!

pjlama
Feb-19-2010, 12:39am
A9

Seriously, I loved the A9 I had for a while but there are a lot of good options in your price range. A solid A for 1k is totally doable so try and get to play some. If you;re in an area where you can't there are several reputable dealers that offer "trial periods" and can point you in the right direction sight unseen. Danny Clark was mentioned and is great to deal with so is Dennis at the Mandolin Store just to name a few. Good luck and enjoy the hunt, it's part of the experience and should be fun.

pjlama
Feb-19-2010, 12:53am
I just went to the mandolin stores website and listened to a clip of the KM900 and was impressed. Who knows if it's just a good recording but for 1k it sounded very good.

John Evans
Feb-19-2010, 1:46am
To the OP, if you want to purchase a mandolin that you will not lose money on when you sell later or decide to upgrade, then do not buy a Chinese built mandolin. If resale value is of no concern, then buy a Chinese mandolin, such as Kentucky, The Loar, etc. If I were you, I would take the suggestions already made and purchase a Gibson A-9, or a Flatiron A style. Chances are very high that if you purchase a Gibson or Flatiron, you will be able to get your money back when you sell. Chinese built mandolins are a dime a dozen and in my experience do not hold resale value as well as a quality American built mandolin. Good luck with whatever mandolin you choose.

Mike Snyder
Feb-19-2010, 2:44am
Johns' point is valid, and will not be well recieved by many here on the board. Import mandolins are improving, some are really good. Just be aware that they are not strong in resale. I feel that entry-level, stateside mandolins represent a much greater value in the long run. I've owned Ibanez, Kentucky and Alvarez mandos. Lost money on every one. And they sounded dead. Used Flatirons are a deal, right now, and some Breedloves. Just my opinion. FWIW.

drewgrass
Feb-19-2010, 2:59am
old gibson oval hole a models can be had for that price and will hold there value. no not the best bluegrass instrument. great for fiddle tunes. good enough for norman and nancy blake and peter ostrushko than good enough for about anyone.

kirkw101
Feb-19-2010, 12:37pm
I had a Ratliff (Audey) A model that was great. Never should have sold it. I think some of the non-gibson mandos really rock! That Fraley is on my short list!

FWIW, I have played 2 A9 and a F9, none spoke to me. So don't just buy the headstock.

Kirk

John Kinn
Feb-19-2010, 1:01pm
Bought a used A9 a couple a month ago,and it's a great sounding mando!It has opened up amazingly during the last week, and I think there's even more to go on...great value instrument! But be aware that neck width and neck profile vary a lot.The A9 has got a beefy neck, but the nut is Loar era( at least some Loars!) narrow 1 1/16"If you come from guitar it might be a challenge..Another thing is if you prefer flat or radiused fingerboard. The A9 fingerboard is flat. So if you want an instrument with a wider nut and a radiused board, the Jam Master is the way to go if you stick with Gibson. But rumor says there are other mandos out there as well;)
John

2002 Gibson A9
1949 Gibson A40
A couple of seventies Ibanez guitars
1967 Hound Dog Dobro
Eko 5-string banjo (terrible instrument!:grin:)
Levin mandola
Romanian zouk with no name
German fiddle with no name either

John Kinn
Feb-19-2010, 1:05pm
PS!
I didn't insinuate that BANJO is s terrible instrument as such, just the one that I've got..:grin:

Marcus CA
Feb-20-2010, 12:14am
Chinese built mandolins are a dime a dozen and in my experience do not hold resale value as well as a quality American built mandolin.

I'm a huge fan of American-made mandolins, so I'm curious about what you consider to be "holding resale value." I don't have a sense of the percentage of value that used Chinese mandos drop, but the Breedloves and Collings tend to drop at least 1/4 of their value, and I often see used Webers for 1/3 less than new ones. Do Eastmans, Kentuckys, et. al. drop even more than that?

mrmando
Feb-20-2010, 12:24am
I didn't insinuate that BANJO is s terrible instrument as such, ...
You should never insinuate that.

You should come right out and say it. :))

nashvillebill
Jul-13-2010, 3:53pm

I think that I may have bought that mandolin- I got it at Gruhn's yesterday and they said it was a SPBGMA sample. I am absolutely amazed how good this thing sounds- dry, woody, popping and loud! The fit and finish is excellent.

JEStanek
Jul-13-2010, 4:52pm
1) The one you just bought.
2) The one that just popped up in the classifieds.

Jamie

PS This seems independent of $X.

PPS ;)