PDA

View Full Version : spontaneous text size increases?

mandocrucian
Feb-16-2010, 11:57am
Since last night, I've been getting sporadic increases of text size on the Cafe when I've refreshed a page, or opened a new window on a thread. The browser is set to "Text size: Smaller" but the size of the Cafe page jumps to the equivalent of "Text size: Larger" , (but when I check the "view" settings, it's still set on "smaller".

I've only noticed this occurring on the Cafe pages. Is something buggy? Anyone else had this happen?

Incidentally, I just tried to increase the size of one particular phrase, using the cafe button/drop down for "sizes" ["SIZE="4"]"Text size: Larger" [/SIZE"], but text size in the preview post remains the same.
(I added " " so coding would show).

Hey... hope the "Forum Support" phishers haven't gummed up things!

Niles H

Scott Tichenor
Feb-16-2010, 12:53pm
We've had no reports of any problem like this and I'm unable to replicate it. When you say Cafe, do you mean the message board/forum or in addition to the forum does this occur on pages like the Classifieds, home page, etc.?

Sounds like something awry with style sheets that control font sizes. I'd suggest flushing your disk cache in your browser as a starter. That will force your browser to reload those. I've made no changes to those or any other forum settings for that matter so this is mystery to me, so I'm guessing it's restricted locally to your PC. Sorry for the problems.

journeybear
Feb-16-2010, 1:26pm
Make sure you haven't accidentally hit the "change zoom level" option in the lower right corner of your browser, just above the time. It should say "100%." That's messed me up a couple of times.

bennyb
Feb-16-2010, 1:41pm
Fortunately that's never happened to me at MandoCafe, but the same thing Niles describes happens to me at Official Luthiers Forum. I go from the list of threads to a thread and the type is humongous, back to the list and it's small. It's erratic, the list of threads is always small, but in any individual thread the type may be large or small. It never happens at Unofficial Martin, or at any other site. I'm still using w98se, and 800 x 600 screen size, Firefox/2.0.0.20, and assumed it was some legacy issue.

archaically, benny

Tom C
Feb-16-2010, 2:41pm
How come the cafe does not support srikes? -See my tag below

Scott Tichenor
Feb-16-2010, 2:51pm
<strike>, along with the infamous <blink> tag is a deprecated HTML relic from the 1990s. By default, the forum's BB code does not support it. I'm pretty sure it would be possible to create a custom BB code tag that performs this function, but its use seems to be more about making a statement vs. value added functionality (OK, fair enough, my definition of value added). Not the answer you were looking for, I know. Plus, I really, and I mean, really, don't want to see "Gibson" or any other builders listed with their name and a line through it. If it's gets added, we'd be looking at it.

sunburst
Feb-16-2010, 5:40pm
...I really, and I mean, really, don't want to see "Gibson" or any other builders listed with their name and a line through it. If it's gets added, we'd be looking at it.

:))

Scott Tichenor
Feb-16-2010, 5:43pm
Wait a minute. I take it back. There's at least one builder I'd probably not wince it given this treatment. And it ain't Hamlett.

MikeEdgerton
Feb-16-2010, 6:03pm
Ahemmmmmm.....

ColdBeerGoCubs
Feb-16-2010, 6:25pm
I'm still using w98se, and 800 x 600 screen size, Firefox/2.0.0.20, and assumed it was some legacy issue.

archaically, benny

Dear God.....

Fred Young
Feb-16-2010, 7:47pm
need to update adobe reader?:)