PDA

View Full Version : need a good 2nd book for a beginner

karate_donkey
Feb-15-2010, 8:40pm
ive been playing mandolin for about 6 months. I have just finished my first book which was mandolin primer by bert casey. i need some suggestions on a 2nd book. i still consider myself a beginner but i dont need another book to teach me how to hold a mandolin. However, i dont think i am gonna be up to an intermidiate book. Because of where i live i need to buy online. help! Also im into bluegrass if that helps.

Jean Fugal
Feb-15-2010, 9:03pm
lots of them out there

this one is as good as any

http://www.amazon.com/Bluegrass-Mandolin-Jack-Tottle/dp/0825601541/ref=tmm_pap_title_0

also just go to youtube and follow along with a bunch of stuff. You just as well start right off trusting your eyes and ears.
My opinion only

Rob Gerety
Feb-15-2010, 9:14pm
Is this your first instrument or do you already play another instrument?

abuteague
Feb-15-2010, 9:30pm
Pay a little more and get one with a DVD, or at least a CD. It helps so much to have the tune in your head before you look at the notes.

What do you like to listen to?
What do you want to be able to play?

I made the mistake a couple of times of getting a book that was more difficult than I was ready for and it slowed me down. I guess it was an over-reaction to not wanting to play tunes I'd never hear again. I think there is a big middle ground out there. Good luck finding the right book.

Alex Orr
Feb-15-2010, 11:10pm
Greg Horne - Intermediate Mandolin

EXCELLENT book!

Actually, buy his Beginning Mando book as well. You'll work through it pretty fast. By the time you finish both of them, you'll have a really solid foundation on the mandolin. You may also want to start building your repertoire up. I suggest Steve Kaufman's Parking Lot Picker books for the mando. Pricey, but, very good.

DannyB
Feb-16-2010, 7:26am
YOU TUBE! You can find almost anything you want if you type in bluegrass mandolin...If you can't find what you want check out banjoben on you tube he's a good guy that from what I can see helps people out all the time.