PDA

View Full Version : Picking

presto120270
Feb-15-2010, 6:55pm
OK all, I have this bad habit and please give me techniques to break this habit. When I pick, I only hit one string. As a beginning mando player, it frustrates me to no end. I continually hit one string and my picking is so quiet, especially compared to my strumming. PLease, exercises or anything, please help.

Preston

Flattpicker
Feb-15-2010, 7:17pm
I would say this: You probably need to slow down, put more energy in your stroke, and, above all, change your angle. Most likely, whether downstroke or upstroke, you're hitting the closer string and missing the further one, right? You need to follow through at an angle which takes the pick through the other string of the pair as well. THEN you can angle up slightly so as to avoid the next pair.

You can pick from the thumb and finger(s), from the wrist, or from the elbow. If you pick from the wrist make sure you have more swivel and less rotation, at least until you get the hang of it.

Practice on each single pair of strings for a while before adding in any string-to-string (or pair-to-pair motion).

Probably someone else here can articulate all of this better, but hopefully this gets you off the ground.

Good luck, let us know what happens.

bigbike
Feb-16-2010, 12:26am
Also if you haven't tried this already-instead of picking with the pointy end of the pick, pick with one of the rounded corners of the pick. The rounded corners go over both strings easier than just the point.

Dave Weiss
Feb-16-2010, 1:23am
I did the same thing when I started playing. I read somewhere (maybe here) to push through the pair of strings and let the pick come to "rest" on the next pair, up or down strokes. I worked on that for a while and now I don't think I could play one string if I wanted to.

mandolirius
Feb-16-2010, 2:45am
I did the same thing when I started playing. I read somewhere (maybe here) to push through the pair of strings and let the pick come to "rest" on the next pair, up or down strokes. I worked on that for a while and now I don't think I could play one string if I wanted to.

Here's what I tell my students: there are two rules of the right hand.

Rule #1 - Thou shalt play with alternating pick strokes

Rule #2 - Thou shalt vibrate both of the strings in the pair with every
pickstroke.

Rule #1 is more important in the beginning than Rule #2, which is not to say that #2 isn't important. It's crucial. However, if you have to begin developing an alternating stroke by only striking one of the pair of strings, do it. Once your right hand is moving more comfortably and you're feeling more relaxed, remember Rule #2.

If you can abide by both right off the bat, that's ideal. But if obeying #2 is impeding your ability to obey #1, let #2 slide for a while. When your right hand is feeling stronger, add in Rule #2. You'll have to make some adjustment in your stroke but at least you'll be moving in the right direction(s).

presto120270
Feb-16-2010, 6:44am
Thanks all, I have trouble with up and down strokes and my instructor is alway saying"up,down,up,down" and I am always saying,"I know,I know" also I us the mando goldengate pick so no points. Yesterday she said use an angle and drive through. I get on the saddle and ride alot today. Thanks all

When it happens I will let you know when I pass that rung on the mandolin ladder

THANKS
pRESTON

Mike Bunting
Feb-16-2010, 1:59pm
Why is he saying "up, Down", it's "down, up".

presto120270
Feb-16-2010, 2:32pm
LOL, maybe she has figured out I am backwards. LOL