PDA

View Full Version : My new Gibson fern

Rex Hart
Feb-15-2010, 5:00pm
I finally got some pictures of my November '08 Fern . The inlay on the headstock is out of this world. Really slim neck and scooped fretboard with abbreviated finger rest. I love the great woody tone. I just put a set of Sam Bush strings on it.I think that's gonna be my string of choice for this one.

Rex Hart
Feb-15-2010, 5:05pm
Sorry, probably should have posted this in pictures thread. Maybe a moderator can move it.

Danny Clark
Feb-15-2010, 5:18pm
that looks great ,
probably came from Morgan Music??
Danny

Richard Morrison
Feb-15-2010, 10:14pm
Beautiful...i really like the tight grain on the back.

JEStanek
Feb-15-2010, 10:22pm
The thread is moved to the post a pic section.
Jamie

hank
Feb-15-2010, 10:49pm
Congratulations on your Fern. My two Gibsons a 2006 Goldrush and a 1915 A4 Blackface are both keepers. Now if we could get Gibson to make us some hats.

Big Joe
Feb-15-2010, 10:57pm
Good looking mandolin. I love the looks of the Fern and love the Fern headstock. Congratulations and enjoy playing.

Randy Smith
Feb-15-2010, 11:24pm
That's a wonderful looking mandolin, Rex. Hope it gets even prettiers and sounds great for you.

pjlama
Feb-15-2010, 11:37pm
Nice looking Fern, congrats and enjoy it in good health.

Bernie Daniel
Feb-16-2010, 6:46am
Congratulations! Beautiful mandolin! Now you have a link right back to old Orville in Kalamazoo before the turn of the previous century. No other mandolin maker can give you that tradition like Gibson.

I really like that abbreviated pick guard. I scooped the fb extension on my 2002 Fern and never thought of doing anything more but that smaller guard really looks sharp.

Great purchase! Who signed it BTW? Dave Harvey?

Rex Hart
Feb-16-2010, 9:44am
Yeah, it is signed by Dave Harvey. I bought it at Morgan Music here in Missouri. I Traded in my old Collings MF. It had the matte finish and was a great sounding mando and I wish that I could have kept her for some alternate tuning stuff. Our band does Get Up John and it would have come in handy.....if I were only independently wealthy! Still....can't beat the great Gibson woody tone.

Rex Hart
Feb-16-2010, 9:46am
Btw, where can you find a Gibson hat ?..... to go along side my Cafe' hat of course!

Mark Walker
Feb-16-2010, 10:12am
Rex - very nice! Congrats!

Someone makes 'The Gibson' hats somewhere! I had to start (with Ken Ratcliff's permission of course) a line of 'Silver Angel Mandolin' hats to compete with all of the 'The Gibson' hats I was encountering at jams and festivals! :)

Big Joe
Feb-16-2010, 11:44am
You can get a new Gibson hat at the Gibson Showcase in Nashville. You may be able to order it froml their website as well. They do have a number of them available.

Danny Clark
Feb-16-2010, 12:07pm
I have known Alvin for years,great guy
Danny

Greg Potter
Feb-18-2010, 7:51pm
I know for a fact that this mando sounds as good as it looks. Rex, for some stupid reason, I didn't play it last time we picked but it sure cut the mix. If you want, we can bring my mando for you to "get up John" tune and start doing that one. Congrats.

hank
Feb-18-2010, 11:17pm
This is the only hat I could find on line. http://store.gibson.com/Products/Lifestyle/Hats.aspx
I wish the custom shop logo was still around. Joe are there some other choices at the Gibson show case. If you can find a custom shop one I'd order a couple of them with one of your shop hats.