PDA

View Full Version : Own a piece of Jethro

Christian McKee
Sep-13-2004, 9:31pm
One of his mandos for sale on ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....43&rd=1 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10179&item=3748074943&rd=1)

I can't decide whether to say "is this a beautiful country or what?" or "is nothing sacred?" Happy bidding...

Taboot, Taboot,

Christian

John Rosett
Sep-13-2004, 10:39pm
it is a beautiful country, and no, nothing is sacred.
i've been a big jethro fan for many years. i've never seen or heard about this mando. does anyone know anything about it?
john

mikeomando
Sep-14-2004, 8:15am
Hi everybody, #
I own an ASR emando very similar to the one pictured. #They were made by a Chicagoland luthier named John Montgomery. #The one I own has a hollow or semi-hollow body, and a very solid neck. #Low action, and a great player. #You can see a photo of mine at emando.com. #Jethro's looks a little fancier. #Some emandos play more like an electric guitar (The Gibson EM-200, for example), but this one plays more like a nice acoustic, in terms of feel. #If I didn't own one, I would bid on Jethro's, but I don't know how much of a premium I would be willing to pay for one of his former instruments. #God rest his talented soul.

Christian McKee
Sep-14-2004, 11:04am
Reading the text of the letter from his son, it seems pretty reasonable that veeeery few people outside the realm of his family would know about this mandolin, FWIW

Christian

Ted Eschliman
Sep-14-2004, 11:30am
I had the privilege of owning one of Jethro's instruments, his Epiphone MM70. With it came some convincing documentation his estate had drawn up, including a letter from his brother-in-law, Chet Atkins, a photograph of him playing the instrument, a George Gruhn appraisal letter, and a Sale Flier of other of "The Master's" instruments that held a much higher profile than the one I owned.
Since I wasn't playing it, I felt it needed to be placed somewhere where it could be appreciated (and played). It was acquired by Acoustic Art Productions as a kind of "museum" piece.
I don't recall this electric one being listed on the sale, so it's not unlikely it might have been acquired prior, directly by this family member.

mrmando
Sep-14-2004, 5:19pm
Wow. ASRs are very hard to find. I didn't know about this axe but it makes sense that Jethro would have something like this. If I were rich instead of so good-looking...

The reason I have a National Silvo is that Mark Heard, one of my favorite musicians of all time, played one. Of course, the one I have isn't his. I think his widow still owns it. I bought a Flatiron mandola from Gruhn's that had belonged to Mike Compton, but I honestly didn't like the tone, so I sent it back. I do have a National Triolian tenor guitar similar to Mike's...

Sellars
Sep-15-2004, 1:17am
I had the privilege of owning one of Jethro's instruments, his Epiphone MM70.
Ted, what do you mean with "had"? you haven't sold it have you?