PDA

View Full Version : The Mandolin

mrmando
Feb-12-2010, 9:10pm
Any questions (http://cgi.ebay.com/THE-MANDOLIN_W0QQitemZ370334856846QQcmdZViewItemQQptZG uitar_Accessories?hash=item5639ad768e)?

Greg Allen
Feb-12-2010, 9:34pm
I hate it when they just copy/paste copyrighted descriptions like that!

MikeEdgerton
Feb-12-2010, 10:05pm
Wait a minute, how do we know it's really THE mandolin?

Andrew DeMarco
Feb-12-2010, 10:17pm
The seller is sadly mistaken. Apparently, this is THE MANDOLIN (http://www.themandolin.com/)... :))

JEStanek
Feb-12-2010, 10:49pm
Looks more like The Peghead....

Charles E.
Feb-12-2010, 11:25pm
I assume the body is included.

...and Master of None
Feb-12-2010, 11:43pm

I wouldn't - not on fleaBay!

Eddie Sheehy
Feb-13-2010, 12:45am
It looks like its USED.

journeybear
Feb-13-2010, 1:17am
Here's (http://cgi.ebay.com/GIBSON-MANDOLIN-A-40_W0QQitemZ370333639240QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Defa ultDomain_0?hash=item56399ae248)the rest of it, I do believe ... :whistling:

The seller is sadly mistaken. Apparently, this is THE MANDOLIN (http://www.themandolin.com/)... :))

If that is right across the street from The Banjo, I ain't interested! ;)

Jim MacDaniel
Feb-13-2010, 12:36pm
Weird -- looks like she has two active auctions for the same instrument.

Link
Feb-13-2010, 12:54pm
Well, they can't BOTH be the mandolin!

JeffD
Feb-13-2010, 1:03pm

But alas, no strings.

journeybear
Feb-13-2010, 4:41pm
Well, they can't BOTH be the mandolin!

What? You don't believe in parallel universes, string theory, space-time warps, wormholes, and all that good stuff? :disbelief: :confused: ;) :whistling:

I'm thinking that the one with no text was an oopsie that she may not even know is up there - hard to believe she's unaware but possibly possible - or she completed the listing with several pics (though somehow not that one) but neglected to take down the oopsie ... You know what? I don't know why I'm even trying to figure this out! I'm just chalking it up to it being one of those unexplained mysteries of the unexplained. :confused:

JeffD
Feb-13-2010, 4:42pm
What? You don't believe in parallel universes, string theory, space-time warps, wormholes, and all that good stuff? :disbelief: :confused: ;) :whistling:

I believe in string theory. :grin:

journeybear
Feb-13-2010, 4:50pm
Spoken like a true string player - theoretically ... :whistling:

Link
Feb-13-2010, 5:46pm

I'm not going to comment on whether or not the many-worlds interpretation is "true," or whether or not I believe it to be true, or whether or not I believe any of the following to be true, but...

The many-worlds interpretation is only one of the mainstream theories; others, such as the Copenhagen interpretation, favor wave function collapsing, under which once observed, the wave function, which initially "consisted" of various possibilities, collapses into one state. Some polls show the Copenhagen interpretation as being more popular than the many-worlds interpretation among physicists.

Even within the MWI, some physicists believe that other "worlds" are not as "real" as our own, although some believe they are.

Getting back to the mandolin, if there is more than one of this mandolin (whether or not they are distributed across multiple universes, the existence which, again, I am not commenting on here), they cannot all be THE mandolin. The statement "If there is a "the mandolin," then there is only one example of THE mandolin," is a truism.

Don't ever doubt my nerdiness.

rgray
Feb-13-2010, 9:46pm
I'm not going to comment on whether or not the many-worlds interpretation is "true," or whether or not I believe it to be true, or whether or not I believe any of the following to be true, but...

The many-worlds interpretation is only one of the mainstream theories; others, such as the Copenhagen interpretation, favor wave function collapsing, under which once observed, the wave function, which initially "consisted" of various possibilities, collapses into one state.

I would agree, as it seems that direct observation of The Mandolin auction has resulted in its very collapse. In other words, the auction has ended, probably due to the seller realizing the duplicate auction. :)

journeybear
Feb-13-2010, 10:26pm
Um, not necessarily. The auction with the bare minimum of information was scheduled to end today, whereas the other, with the modicum of information, has a few days left. The seller simply may have not bothered to take the first one down, knowing it would expire soon enough.

Ah, such sweet speculation, though. Sic transit gloria mundi. and all that. ;)

Oh, and I'd never doubt your nerdiness. Unless, of course, you thought that was somehow a bad thing ... :confused:

John Kinn
Feb-14-2010, 10:40am
$650 for a nice old A40 looks like a bargain...

allenhopkins
Feb-14-2010, 12:46pm
Perhaps this is the Platonic form of The Mandolin, cleverly disguised as an A-40.

woodwizard
Feb-14-2010, 1:35pm
Do not assume anything ... :popcorn: :sleepy:

journeybear
Feb-14-2010, 4:59pm
I assume that what you mean by that is ... oops! :disbelief:

Never mind ... :whistling:

Links
Feb-18-2010, 5:49pm
Link - thank you for posting intelligent remarks! In case we are confused, I would want people to think that I have some degree of intelligence (which of course is quite debatable). I shall apologize in advance for embarassing you with some of my posts if you are indeed mixed up with me. Maybe your posts should have a disclaimer - i.e. Link (not Links)!

PS: If you copied my forum name because you thought it was really cool, I take everything back! You were not all that smart!

By the way - I too thought maybe the other auction was for the body. Reminds me of a time a friend of mine sold a German Luger pistol to a pawn shop dirt cheap. The next day he took in the matching serial number stock and asked them if they would be interested in owning it. They were - at a very inflated price!

Link
Feb-18-2010, 7:13pm
Link - thank you for posting intelligent remarks! In case we are confused, I would want people to think that I have some degree of intelligence (which of course is quite debatable). I shall apologize in advance for embarassing you with some of my posts if you are indeed mixed up with me. Maybe your posts should have a disclaimer - i.e. Link (not Links)!

PS: If you copied my forum name because you thought it was really cool, I take everything back! You were not all that smart!

Well, my plural friend, I had decided a while ago that if I ever had a reason to address you, I would refer to you as "my plural friend." So I just did.

Jim MacDaniel
Feb-18-2010, 7:32pm
It's back (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370337148684), but its only $550 with $15 shipping. The seller has been on eBay a while, and I chatted with her a little about the weird second listing with the neck picture -- and she seems like a nice enough person -- plus she pulled the second listing when I suggested that it was at minimum confusing, and at worst would make potential bidders suspcious.

Any way, I'm not in a position to buy this right now, but wanted to alert you all in case any of you were interested.