PDA

View Full Version : snow/cold weather and tuning!

jim_n_virginia
Feb-12-2010, 9:32am
<rant on>

OK I've had enough! This snow, rain, ice and cold is killing me and my instrument! :mad:

Takes me 15 minutes to even get her in tune when I walk in from outside THEN I have to tune up 10 times during the night fer crying out loud! And it STILL doesn't sound right! :crying:

The reason I moved to Virginia was for their mild winters and summers! We have had MORE snow here than in 25 years! 8"s so far and more coming Sat!

I don't see how you guys up north take it! LOL!

<rant off> :grin:

tcapps
Feb-12-2010, 10:39am
Agree with you Jim. Don't know how they stand it. Sitting here in Nacogdoches Texas with 6" of snow. I had to brush off my satellite dish to have internet. Not going on the roof so I can have TV. Life is tough. LOL

JeffD
Feb-12-2010, 11:18am
Well....

The good thing about winter is that you cannot be working on the outside of the house or the lawn, so nobody gives you the hairy eyeball for staying inside and playing music.

MikeEdgerton
Feb-12-2010, 11:22am
I generally brush the snow off the fretboard before I tune. If we only had 8 inches of snow on the ground I'd be real happy right now :cool:

Fred Keller
Feb-12-2010, 11:24am
Tuning is what happens between May and September up here in MN. Winter is for playing with abandon and no regard for pitch at all :grin:

mandroid
Feb-12-2010, 2:14pm
Gotten spoiled, since I got one of Peter Mix's Carbon Fiber mandolins .

Relative humidity and Temp changes stopped being an issue.

OK, I still like the nice wooden ones too, hard to think of parting with those ..

aphillips
Feb-12-2010, 3:49pm
Well Jim you'll just have to move out here where the humidity is usually 40-50% all year and the only time you see snow is a couple times a year at the highest mountains. And you can look at that snow while playing your mandolin on the beach. Sorry, I know that this is an evil post. Hee hee.:))

aphillips
Feb-12-2010, 3:50pm
I am from Buffalo though so I can definitely sympathize.

Coffeecup
Feb-12-2010, 4:25pm
It's terrible when sweat keeps running into your eyes and dripping all over the mando. :))

pager
Feb-12-2010, 4:41pm
Jim:
We just need to move you to Boulder Colorado, where the weather is much warmer!

jillian

Mandolin Mick
Feb-12-2010, 5:13pm
Except for 3 months that I spent in Texas, I've lived in Wisconsin all my life. I guess brushing the snow off of the mandolin, not being able to see the neck because it's so cold that your breath looks like a fog, tuning up all the time, etc., is just a way of life up here.

I heard on the radio today that tomorrow will be first time on record that all 50 states will have snow simultaneously!

John Kinn
Feb-12-2010, 5:18pm
In my parts you could have buried a double bass in the snow at the moment. Or a couple of mandocellos. A mandolin you wouldn't find until end of April.:)

allenhopkins
Feb-12-2010, 8:01pm
I heard on the radio today that tomorrow will be first time on record that all 50 states will have snow simultaneously!

Where in Hawaii is there snow?

Greg H.
Feb-12-2010, 8:45pm

I agree, I realize that there some higher altitudes in Hawaii, but I remain doubtful of it snowing. I could be wrong here but....?????? How about 49 having snow simultaneously???

Ole Joe Clark
Feb-12-2010, 8:52pm
On top of the mountains/volcanoes there is snow even in Hawaii, possibly all year.

Joe

Greg H.
Feb-12-2010, 8:55pm
Teach me to stop relying on the Weather Channel (on line) :))

MikeEdgerton
Feb-12-2010, 10:04pm
Well, that made me curious so here is the answer.

Does it snow in Hawaii? (http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Does_it_snow_in_hawaii)

Old Joe Clark is the winner kind of, I don't think it's year round but I could be wrong.

Arve Hermundstad
Feb-12-2010, 10:26pm
I thought I was smart when I moved down from the mountains of Norway and out to the west coast. The coast of Norway is at the recieving end of the Gulf stream, so it should have a fairly stable and mild climate, but noooooooo!

As soon as I get here, it's the coldest winter anybody can remember.

This is actually the first time I've had to adjust my mandolin because of humidity and temperature changes.( It's also the first time I've had a mandolin good enough for me to notice such changes.)

Hawaii sounds pretty good now.
( SOS zouk?)

...and Master of None
Feb-12-2010, 11:31pm
Yeah, here in the DFW area we just had a record-breaking accumulation of global warming - I haven't personally seen this much snow south of the MD line ever.

I was raised in snow country, but down here two inches of snow pretty much paralyzes the city, and we just got 12-1/2 inches...

John

Ivan Kelsall
Feb-13-2010, 2:01am
I don't have that much trouble because my Mandolins rarely venture outside in cold weather. I have noticed that even indoors,if it does get really cold,they go sharp & when warmed up they then go flat until they get stabilised. I can imagine however,the problems that any of you folks that 'gig' & have to transport your Mandolins around experience. I have to say,that if i had to experience the huge temp.changes that you folks in the USA & Canada experience,i'd be looking to thermally 'lag' my Mandolin case,even to the extent of making my own 'lag-bag' from roofing insulation,
Ivan

Mandolin Mick
Feb-13-2010, 2:42am
Mike-

Thanx for the info! Yeah, they said it snows on top of a few of Hawaii's mountains.

I took a picture of my new Gibson F-9 in the snow yesterday because I just couldn't stand it anymore ... the proud father ... :)

Rob Gerety
Feb-13-2010, 9:09am
I'm fairly new to mandolin. Is it my imagination or are mandolins generally a lot more fussy and sensitive to temperature and humidity changes than a typical acoustic guitar. My mandolin is seems very sensitive to these things and to be honest it is a bit of a pain in the butt. The tuners are very old vintage tuners and while they work pretty darn well, it ain't like tuning up with a new set of Waverly tuners.

Stanley Cox
Feb-13-2010, 10:56am
Mandolin Mick, They call that Synchronized Snowing. Nice looking mandolin by the way. :grin:

Stanley

Coffeecup
Feb-13-2010, 5:22pm
Is it my imagination or are mandolins generally a lot more fussy and sensitive to temperature and humidity changes than a typical acoustic guitar.

It seems that way to me. Then my twelve string guitar is less sensitive than the six string. However my mando is in the cheap range and the guitars are more towards mid range pricing.

Charlieshafer
Feb-13-2010, 6:19pm
Violins and mandolins go out at the drop of a hat, thanks to the arched top. It only takes a couple of percentage points of humidity to cause the top to shrink or expand .005 of an inch, enough to make all go wacko. Flat tops go sideways, not up and down.

But just remember all you mid-atlantic guys, snow is temporary, you'll be laughing at us again soon enough. Actually, there's a good reminder from us northern guys in this. Loosen the strings on the mandolins you don't play often, at least a semi-tone or two. If you tune them up in low humidity and cold weather, a few months of warm wet weather can potentially cause a cracked top with the expansion. If you use the instrument and tune it regularly, there's no issue at all.

Ivan Kelsall
Feb-14-2010, 2:10am
Rob G. - I have to agree with you re.Mandolin vs Guitar succeptibility to cold. My 'Dreadnought style' Guitar is as stable as a rock when it comes to staying in tune,whereas my Mandolins go out of tune fairly quickly when room temp.changes up or down. I've often wondered if it's the shape of our instruments. Do flat-top 'Celtic' styles suffer to the same extent,or are they more stable ?.
( isn't it amazing ! - after typeing my post,i went back & read Charlieshafer's post above 'properly',obviously we had the same thoughts )
"eyes they have & see not " - Ivan ~:>

Salty Dog
Feb-15-2010, 2:09am
Jim, the answer is simple - flip the case lid somewhere where an idiot won't drop a cinder block on it and let the mandolin adjust. It will come in and stay close if you give it a half an hour. Or you could move to upstate NY, where we sympathize with your struggles to deal with the winter but are somewhat amused at the expressions of pain - you have to adapt; that's what we do. This is tongue in cheek as I have very close people in Roanoke and Bumpas.

Salty Dog
Feb-15-2010, 2:17am
Quick response to Ivan - think about it. A 1% change in the length of the neck in a mandolin is how much length vs the same 1% change in the length of a guitar neck. The wood changes the same but the length effect on the instrument is much different because of the size. 1% is probably an exaggeration, but the concept is the same.

barney 59
Feb-15-2010, 2:44am
You can tune until it gets to -20 then you have to put your gloves on. It gets difficult to play the mandolin with gloves on so then you switch to dobro.

Flattpicker
Feb-15-2010, 8:57am
I just want to know: when she "walked him out in the cold rain and snow"--was he carrying his F5?

JGWoods
Feb-15-2010, 11:36am
Gee whiz I've got heated gear- jacket and gloves full of wires- so I can ride my motorcycle all Winter here in Northern MA, can a heated mandolin be far behind? I have ridden 25 miles to a gig with my mando strapped to the back of the bike in 35 degree weather. It's a 1917 A4 - I had to tune it up a bit but it really took the ride quite well.

Bury some grid wires under the fingerboard, add a underlayer of mesh to the top and plug her in through the end pin jack. Heat it enough and it might keep your hands warm....

New Mad needs this- a heated mando option.

zombywoof
Feb-15-2010, 12:34pm
In the words of the Cowardly Lion - unusual weather we're are gaving, ain't it.

All the years I lived down in southwest Mississippi I saw only one snowfall and that was a trace. I hear they now got over 4 inches on the ground.

Out here on the Great Plains the winter hit hard just before X'mas. Yesterday, we had "blizzard conditions." Not a whole lotta snow - really just a trace but the wind blowing over the open ground was brutal. There was a 30 car pile up on the highway just east of here and over 50 accidents in town - inlcuding a police cruiser which had stopped to help somebody and ended up getting slammed into by another out of control car (luckily everyone is OK).

I am flippin' ready for spring.

Rob Gerety
Feb-15-2010, 1:13pm
And here in central Vermont we've had hardly any snow this year. Very odd. Although I recall one winter in the 70s when we got not one single trace of snow all winter long. Generally we are under a deep blanket December through March or April.

MikeEdgerton
Feb-15-2010, 2:50pm
And here in central Vermont we've had hardly any snow this year. Very odd. Although I recall one winter in the 70s when we got not one single trace of snow all winter long. Generally we are under a deep blanket December through March or April.

In an El Niņo weather pattern the cold weather goes south the warm weather goes north. Vancouver BC is 50 degrees today. Enjoy the warm weather :)

Bertram Henze
Feb-16-2010, 3:54am
As for that guitar vs. mandolin thing: I think it's pin bridge vs. floating bridge. Also a flat top goes up and down with humidity (my OM tells me every pub session night when I join the throng, glasses steamy), but the distance of a pin bridge from the nut will not change much in the process. On the other hand, the compound distance of nut to floating bridge + floating bridge to tailpiece will change considerably, just like when screwing an adjustable bridge up or down.