PDA

View Full Version : attachments & downloading

Daniel Nestlerode
Feb-09-2010, 12:34pm
Hey Scott (or Dan)
When I access my blog entry (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/blog.php?b=235) and try to download the MP3 file I uploaded, it adds a .html to the file making my computer think it's a web page.

This happens only on the mac (and may happen only in Safari). When I use Firefox in windows, I get the standard download pane.

Thanks!
Daniel

Scott Tichenor
Feb-09-2010, 4:30pm
Daniel, I was unable to find a fix for this. It appears it may be related to OSX software that performs an evaluation for downloads and forces renaming: See Apple Support (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2340). Of course you can rename the file once it's downloaded, but no one wants to do that. My Mac Safari behaves just as you report, FireFox doesn't. No related problems on my PC. I believe this is a browser issue as our mime types on the server as set correctly. I'm not saying there isn't a fix, I just can't find one. Possibly someone else may know the answer.

Daniel Nestlerode
Feb-09-2010, 5:35pm
Well, at least we know about it now. Maybe Apple will release a fix for it in an update.

Thanks for looking into it!

Daniel

John Kelly
Feb-09-2010, 5:41pm
Scott,
e-mailed you earlier about my inability to upload an mp3 to the Song-of-the-Week Group using the thread and instructions recommended. Still no joy tonight and the link is much faster than in the morning. I get as far as loading the file from my D drive, clicking on the "upload" button then after about 2 minutes the message appears "Failure to upload". I have successfully posted an abc file since using the same procedure and this appears correctly on the groups posts, but still no joy with the mp3. I have successfully e-mailed the mp3 as a test to another address, so it seems to be fine. Are there extra settings I am not using, or what else could be the problem?
Thanks for any help in this.

Jonathan Reinhardt
Feb-09-2010, 6:19pm
Daniel
with my OSX /Safari I just delete the .html on the file icon name that downloaded, it prompts "do you want to change to MP3?", I agree and voila! an easy fix as Scott says.

Scott Tichenor
Feb-09-2010, 9:29pm
Scott,
e-mailed you earlier about my inability to upload an mp3 to the Song-of-the-Week Group using the thread and instructions recommended. Still no joy tonight and the link is much faster than in the morning. I get as far as loading the file from my D drive, clicking on the "upload" button then after about 2 minutes the message appears "Failure to upload". I have successfully posted an abc file since using the same procedure and this appears correctly on the groups posts, but still no joy with the mp3. I have successfully e-mailed the mp3 as a test to another address, so it seems to be fine. Are there extra settings I am not using, or what else could be the problem?
Thanks for any help in this.

There are no extra settings for uploading MP3s. Remember, you must be within the size limit which we've set unusually high. Failure to upload is likely a connection problem, not a forum software issue. If you're connection is dropping on your end you won't be able to upload. If you want me to test this you can email the MP3 to me.

Mike Bunting
Feb-11-2010, 1:14am
It's not difficult to remove the html thingy.

John Kelly
Feb-11-2010, 6:22am
Re my problems with being unable to upload mp3s, I tried again yesterday evening by renaming the file from "Hector The Hero.mp3" to "HectorTheHero.mp3", removing the spaces in the title. This seems to have solved the problem. Apparently web sites do not all handle urls with spaces; the more computer-literate among you will already know this, but it has helped me this time.
Thanks to Scott for all his help here and via PM.