PDA

View Full Version : Aria Af-Tenor

Mike Herlihy
Feb-08-2010, 7:01pm
http://www.ariausa.com/guitars/af-tenor.html

Anyone own one of these? Any opinions?

acousticphd
Feb-08-2010, 8:29pm
I just noticed one up on ebay right now, for an asking price of ~$650. Which IMO, is shocking.
Several observations:
- It sure looks very nice, better (I think) than the Goldtone and Blueridge counterparts I've seen.
- I don't see how they can claim it's the "premier" tenor availablee. Except for the sunburst, its specs (solid top, plywood body) are not really different than the better Goldtone tenor and the Blueridge tenor, both of which sell for quite a bit less.
- I wonder how "available" it is going to be?

Martin Jonas
Feb-09-2010, 5:16am
Well, you can have it in "natural" finish as well. It looks to me that the label inside says "AriaDreadnought" -- surely, that's not a dreadnought body? I also find the mother-of-toilet-seat headstock rather off-putting. Can't comment on tone, obviously, but I much prefer to classy looks of my (much-cheaper) Ozark.

Martin

mikeyes
Feb-09-2010, 10:19am
Does anyone know if this guitar has laminated sides and back?

Blueridge is coming out with a BR60T and a BR70T soon accourding the the tenorguitaregistry@yahoo. These will have higher grade wood and a truss rod and will be selling in the same range as the Aria. If the Aria is laminated, it would be hard for it to be better in quality than the Blueridge (which is well made) especially at the higher levels

For reference, Blueridge guitars with three numbers have solid wood sides and backs. Those with two numbers have laminated sides and backs. IF they come out with a BR143T then it will an all solid wood guitar.

Mike Keyes

Martin Jonas
Feb-09-2010, 12:13pm
Does anyone know if this guitar has laminated sides and back?

The specs say "Solid Sitka Spruce top, Mahogany back and sides", which is normally industry-code for "laminated".

Martin

acousticphd
Feb-09-2010, 1:15pm
I found specs elsewhere that specifically say "laminated mahogany" back and sides for this model. And the seller wants $700, not $650 - which sure seems like it would be closer to full msrp for a guitar like this.

Why, oh why, won't Blueridge or Goldtone or someone make a copy of a Martin size-5 tenor? I'd be all over that.

Mike Herlihy
Feb-10-2010, 4:39pm
I found specs elsewhere that specifically say "laminated mahogany" back and sides for this model. And the seller wants $700, not $650 - which sure seems like it would be closer to full msrp for a guitar like this.

Why, oh why, won't Blueridge or Goldtone or someone make a copy of a Martin size-5 tenor? I'd be all over that.

Amen brother

Charles E.
Feb-10-2010, 6:33pm
Last year I emailed Taylor guitars suggesting they make a tenor neck an option for their Baby Taylor, after all it's a 22-3/4" scale length, The answer was NO. And NO in the future.

Mike Herlihy
Feb-10-2010, 7:45pm
Last year I emailed Taylor guitars suggesting they make a tenor neck an option for their Baby Taylor, after all it's a 22-3/4" scale length, The answer was NO. And NO in the future.

I remember around 3 years ago sending an email to Martin asking for them to build a tenor guitar, I got the same answer. SO, maybe just maybe

acousticphd
Feb-11-2010, 2:18pm
I remember around 3 years ago sending an email to Martin asking for them to build a tenor guitar, I got the same answer. SO, maybe just maybe

Yes, but then what Martin offered us was a cardboard (OK, HPL) guitar. They've got the solid LX1 tops right there on the shelf, and instead offered us only cardbo - woops, HPL. They have the molds for the 5-15 guitars, which they reactivated for awhile few years ago. Tenor necks, tenor body molds, but the best Martin will offer is a card - woops, HPL, tenor guitar.

Re: the Blueridge tenors. I've been looking and thinking more about new tenors in the last couple months, and now think the BR40T would be my top choice of what is available. But I wonder about availability of these guitars, vs. a picture on a website. Not one vendor or dealer I can find online has any of these guitars right now. I guiess I could place an order and get in line.

djandersen39
Mar-20-2011, 3:38pm
I have an Aria AF Tenor and really love it. There's not many options for budget tenor guitars. Look through the forums regarding Blueridge. One post I just read had trouble with one of the lower end Blueridge models.

The Goldtone TG-18 is also a reasonably nice tenor as well.

Taylor and Tenor
Apr-04-2011, 11:40am
I own an Aria AF and really like it - see my previous posting