PDA

View Full Version : Maple Leaf Rag dedicated to Hans

Ken Olmstead
Feb-07-2010, 11:58pm
When I saw Dennis and Meredith on youtube play this as a duet on guitar and mandolin banjo, I knew I had to work it up! It is a bugger to get through, but it is finally to the point where I thought I could post it.

It is dedicated to Hans for building me such an amazing mandolin! :mandosmiley: This is my first posting of it in action since the first couple of videos I made when I first got it in August. I have had some finger troubles and the guitar does not bother it for whatever reason but I missed playing this baby! It has opened up a bunch, and it likes J75s more than the 74s that I am accustomed to. Took me a bit to get used to the little frets but I am pretty much moved in now and we grow closer each day!!;)

This arrangement is from Steve Kaufman’s book “Flatpicking the Rags and Polkas.” It is arranged and tabbed for guitar but I arranged it for the mandolin. My apologies to Steve, any butchering is certainly unintentional!! :))

J2lS6WS-5xA

woodwizard
Feb-08-2010, 12:13am
Sweeeeeeeeeet! Nice job

OlderThanWillie
Feb-08-2010, 12:33am
As Jethro might say, "Purrrty good!!"

Rob Fowler
Feb-08-2010, 12:34am
Nice, Ken!! That's a tough rag!:mandosmiley:

I was just surfing youtube videos today and came across your page again and was like..."Gee, I wonder how his Stealth is doing?...Haven't heard anything since he got it awhile ago."

Thanks for the answer...looks like it's doing pretty good!!!!

Funny!:))

Mike Bromley
Feb-08-2010, 1:47am
That's one heckuva mandolin ya got there....oh, and the rag is SPECTACULAR

grassrootphilosopher
Feb-08-2010, 5:58am
You surely have a nice mandolin right there!

Dan Hoover
Feb-08-2010, 7:27am
very cool Ken...sounds really sweet..

swinginmandolins
Feb-08-2010, 12:28pm
Great job Ken! Han's certainly has built you a great mandolin!

Randy Smith
Feb-08-2010, 4:41pm
Ken, nice pickin"! The Stealth sounds like you'e been playing it a lot.

Ken Olmstead
Feb-08-2010, 11:34pm
Thanks everybody! I have been working on this bleepidy bleep piece for a little over a year, so it is nice to finally get it to something listenable! One of those pieces you could spend a life time mastering and I will!! Unfortunately, it has taken a toll on my finger so I need to recoup a bit!

The mandolin kicks behind!!

Chris Biorkman
Feb-08-2010, 11:44pm
The mandolin sounds really great. Nice playing too.

Jake Wildwood
Feb-09-2010, 4:37pm
Tres awesome!