PDA

View Full Version : Kentucky Electric

Garyinboston
Feb-07-2010, 8:47am
Kentucky Electric 4 string

OK What are the feelings on this little bomber?

As I said I play in a band with occational Mando tunes and I currently use my Epiphone A style with Epi's pu in it. It's OK and I was thinking about getting the F style w/ pu but maybe I should just get the Kentucky?

Any help always great

Thanks!

Gary

Tim2723
Feb-07-2010, 12:24pm
Hi Gary,

You'll find some info on that model in the 'Four, Five, and eight string electrics' forum near the bottom of the opening page.

You're talking apples and oranges though. A solid body electric is to your Epiphone what a Stratocaster is to a Dreadnought. They are very cool, but completely different tools.

Matt Bowe
Feb-07-2010, 1:49pm
You mean one of these?:
http://www.sagamusic.com/catalog/details.asp?ProductID=KM-300E
The one I bought intonates PERFECTLY all the way up (and down) the neck. Adjustable height all metal bridge. 1 lipstick p/u w/volume and tone controls can be adjusted from warm to screaming.

Tim2723
Feb-07-2010, 1:59pm
I'm sure it lays fine, but it just always reminds me of the Gibson 'Lump'. :)

mandolirius
Feb-07-2010, 7:06pm
Would there be much difference between these and the Saga electric mando kit?

Chuck Naill
Feb-07-2010, 7:37pm
I am thinking about going in this direction and to get 8 strings http://www.firstqualitymusic.com/p_EFM8VSCH1.aspx?source=FROOGLEFEED

Tim2723
Feb-07-2010, 8:04pm
Would there be much difference between these and the Saga electric mando kit?

It would come assembled. :grin:

Folkmusician.com
Feb-08-2010, 10:35am
The KM-300E is surprisingly nice mando. I only have one complaint. I am not a big fan of the pick guard pattern. Otherwise, these are very impressive instruments. The quality is well above any acoustic instrument you would get at this price point. It doesn't really sound like a mandolin. It resembles a mandolin in tone. :)

Garyinboston
Feb-15-2010, 6:30pm
Hey There

In your opinioncould the Kentucky be converted to an 8 string?

I have heard very good things about it in general except the four string part so I'm a wondering

Gary

EdSherry
Feb-15-2010, 8:05pm
I wouldn't attempt trying to convert a Kentucky 4-string electric to an 8-string. If you want an 8-string, try the Eastwood (NFI):

http://www.elderly.com/brand/90N_eastwood.html

Tim2723
Feb-15-2010, 9:27pm
I agree with Ed and would add that by the time you've dealt with all the problems of the conversion, assuming you could even do it at all, you may have spent more than a custom 8 stringer from some of the makers out there. The Kentucky is good for the money, but only for that money.

mandroid
Feb-15-2010, 9:31pm
Yup, want an 8 string buy one that's already like that, OTOH 8s can me remade into 4 strings...

steady gig, a Weber maverick 8, can be made affordable if you sort out the depreciation schedule with your tax accountant and you file as a Musician..

Garyinboston
Feb-18-2010, 10:41pm
Thanks guys!

GARY