PDA

View Full Version : what other musics sites do you recommend?

Jim Nollman
Feb-05-2010, 12:26pm
I visit the Cafe just about every day that I'm near my computer. I like to check out the classified, and then look at the BRW social group, on the off chance that someone new has chimed in. The two areas that interest me foremost are equipment, especially discussions about the details of recording and amplifying acoustic mandolins, plus the threads about old time music, with an emphasis on discovering a new traditional tune to learn.

I visit two other music sites fairly regularly. First is Gearslutz, which is the best discussion group I know of, talking about all the "stuff" musicians use for recording and performing. I especially like to look at recording software. A thread presenting new products in mastering software, or some new drum machine will always grab my attention. I focus more on the professional level stuff then the consumer stuff, although they tend to overlap quite a bit.

I visit the Digidesign User discussion site a bit less regularly than the Cafe or Gearslutz. As a music producer, working everday with Protools, its the very best place to tap into the community of other protools users to get questions answered about working with this deep, deep software. I recently had a discouraging licensing problem with a very expensive plugin company, and the users there helped me figure out how to solve it, because so many of the other people on the site are pros who have the same kinds of issues.

What am i missing? I'd be interested to hear about other music sites, just so i can check them out. No, please don't talk about EBay or itunes. Those aren't discussion groups. :popcorn:

Earl Gamage
Feb-05-2010, 12:28pm
Acoustic guitar forum and unofficial Martin forum

GRW3
Feb-05-2010, 1:47pm
To add the links:

The Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum (http://theunofficialmartinguitarforum.yuku.com/directory) - While the emphasis is obvious there is a lot of general guitar discussion on this site. Like the Cafe it has several sub forums on specialty things like technique and music styles. This is my #2 read.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum (http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/) - This was originally the Taylor Guitar Forum but the name was changed at Taylor's request. There is still a Taylor sub forum. Not as expansive as the Cafe or the UMGF but it's still good for an occasional read or research on Taylor specific issues. It does have a members semi-open forum (no politics - no religion) for just talking about things.

JeffD
Feb-05-2010, 3:53pm
It all depends on what instruments you are into. Every one has its forums, (though fat chance there is anything like this out there).

Theres the Banjo Hangout, Fiddle Hangout, Fiddle and Alternate Strings, and for penny whistle there is Chiff and Fipple.

Allen has mentioned a ukulele site.

And the major magazines often have forums at their sites, Strings, or Fretboard Journal

And the tune sites, like TheSession.org, often have a forum.

I go to all of them when I am looking for something specific. I come here to hang out.

250sc
Feb-05-2010, 4:59pm
I like www.jazzguitar.be

ccravens
Feb-05-2010, 7:15pm
Theres the Banjo Hangout, Fiddle Hangout, .

Don't forget to add Flatpicker Hangout and Reso Hangout.

lespaul_79
Feb-05-2010, 7:23pm
lala.com lala.com lala.com lala.com lala.com lala.com lala.com lala.com lala.com lala.com lala.com lala.com lala.com lala.com lala.com lala.com lala.com lala.com

If you can't tell I like this site. You can practically stream any album by any artist and it's legit and free.

As opposed to Pandora that gives you random tunes based on the artist, which is cool...

LALA let's you check out the full classic albums you've heard about your whole life that you gots to check out.

AND if you wanna check out all the versions of a song, search for that song and there will be tonnnns of versions. Search anything from Salt Creek to Limehouse Blues and there will be tonnns of great versions

It's a gold mine of musical geekyness. I dig it if you cant tell.

catmandu2
Feb-05-2010, 7:43pm
Here's my favorite: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44 You can learn a lot of theory here, too.

Pete Martin
Feb-05-2010, 9:29pm
http://jazzstandards.com/compositions/index.htm

John Bertotti
Feb-05-2010, 11:45pm
I like the FDP, Fender discussion page.