PDA

View Full Version : Kimble Dola in the white

Glassweb
Feb-02-2010, 5:59pm
Like a thief in the night... here's my Kimble mandola in the white!

mandophil(e)
Feb-02-2010, 6:08pm
That.....looks.....awesome.

Steve-o
Feb-02-2010, 6:12pm
:disbelief::popcorn:

Chris Biorkman
Feb-02-2010, 6:27pm
Lookin' good. When are you going to take delivery?

JimRichter
Feb-02-2010, 6:41pm
What's the color scheme? Is it going to be a red sunburst like the Jethro (given the block inlay)?

Glassweb
Feb-02-2010, 8:03pm
delivery? i don't ask Wheel things like that! i figure within a couple months at most, but i don't know what Will figures! ;)

regarding the color, well, i'm going trad with a nice, dark sunburst finish. i was thinking L5 when i ordered this, so L5 it shall be... glad you guys are diggin' the way she looks... THE WHEEL IS BIG!

pjlama
Feb-02-2010, 10:56pm
My favorite two point design, I've been admiring them for a few years now. The blocks are sweet. What's the wood combination? I can "figure" out the back and sides but I need help on the top. Please keep us posted!

Glassweb
Feb-02-2010, 11:16pm
hola PJ... red spruce on the top and sugar maple on the sides and back... simple... yet oh so effective!

pjlama
Feb-03-2010, 12:58am
That's what I "figured" but you know what they say about assuming.

You're quickly becoming my idol with what little I know of your collection.

Glassweb
Feb-03-2010, 2:34am
hell, my "collection" ain't no part of nuthin'! in fact it's about to become -1 !

just 2 mandolins and a mandola... that's all i need brother!

Oggy
Feb-03-2010, 2:45am
My favorite two point design...

I agree completely! It's beyond lovely.

Hey, Mr Glassweb, does Will usually choose suger maple for his mandola backs, or was it your choice? If so, could you please enlighten a fool like me what sonic charachter you were aiming for with that choice?

Glassweb
Feb-03-2010, 3:49am
hello Sir Og! i think Will likes sugar maple and red spruce for just about everything. Will's a mad scientist and he's done his homework... so for the "sound" he's going for he feels these woods give him the best, most consistent results. that's not to say he won't use other woods... it's just that he's got his formula down with these. i really wasn't looking for a particular sound... just the qualities i always look for in a great mandolin - balance, volume, separation of notes and, of course, tonal complexity. very few mandolins can round all these bases. as far as i'm concerned ALL of today's established mandolin luthiers are f$!(%&g geniuses...

mtucker
Feb-03-2010, 9:56am
yum!

pigpen
Feb-03-2010, 11:43am
i really wasn't looking for a particular sound... just the qualities i always look for in a great mandolin - balance, volume, separation of notes and, of course, tonal complexity. very few mandolins can round all these bases. as far as i'm concerned ALL of today's established mandolin luthiers are f$!(%&g geniuses...

That's a pretty fine definition of a great mandolin sound, if you ask me. From all that I hear, your faith in Mr. Kimble is well warranted. I admire your trust in the process. Plus, it's good to see more evidence that the vast majority of luthier builds are good experiences.

Glassweb
Feb-03-2010, 5:21pm
The great thing about Will is that he's a highly accomplished string musician... aside from being a great builder. The Dude and Gil are two more top-tier builders that are also excellent mandolinists. To me this gives them a definite advantage over those builders that might be coming more from a strictly "woodworking" background. I know many of todays great mandolin builders that simply love that l'il ole man'lin!

mtucker
Feb-03-2010, 5:36pm
Wills finishes look pretty great. John Greven is about my favorite at old time 30's Gibby finishes.

sgarrity
Feb-03-2010, 8:38pm
That's gonna be one sweet 'dola!

Big Joe
Feb-03-2010, 9:52pm
I am jealous!

Jake Wildwood
Feb-04-2010, 4:51pm
Way cool! Nice aesthetic.

SternART
Feb-04-2010, 6:25pm
Great lookin' dola Glassweb........Will should be proud! I found a photo I had of another 2 point dola, this one is made by John Monteleone. If I'm not mistaken he calls his 2 points Baby Grands.

Glassweb
Feb-04-2010, 6:28pm
I do believe Will's 2-point design is an homage to JM's "Baby Grand" mandolins. I always liked the looks of those... scarce as hen's teeth though...

Thanks for the photo Art!

JimRichter
Feb-04-2010, 7:19pm
The great thing about Will is that he's a highly accomplished string musician... aside from being a great builder. The Dude and Gil are two more top-tier builders that are also excellent mandolinists. To me this gives them a definite advantage over those builders that might be coming more from a strictly "woodworking" background. I know many of todays great mandolin builders that simply love that l'il ole man'lin!

Will is a fantastic musician. Though I screwed up the mix, check out his guitar playing on our cut on the Butch Baldassari Tribute. Norman Blake would be proud (as am I!). He is equally talented on mandolin. He plays one of my favorite Methodist Preacher's--only Taterbug can top him.

Will Kimble
Feb-05-2010, 12:28pm
Thanks for the kind words everybody.

A couple notes about Monteleone - I was definitely inspired by several design elements of the Grand Artist. First was the downward sloping treble point, although I think I went back and saw that the early three point Gibsons had a similar design. If I remember correctly, I was actually copying the shape of the three point Gibson, but the inspration was certainly from Monteleone.

However, I had never seen a photo of a Baby Grand until after I had designed my two point. Of course it made perfect sense after I saw a picture, but to this day I have only seen one or two photos and never seen one in person.

I also give a "tip of the hat" to Monteleone with my two point (and subsequently A style) headstock shape. It is basically the design elements of the GA headstock resized to fit on a Nugget/Collings shaped headstock. We tried many, many different designs on paper before we settled on this one. By the way, a local buddy who was a process engineer at P&G noted that my A style headstock has more pieces and more mitres than an F style headstock. So much for the A headstock being easier to make!

I also want to credit Gilchrist with the shape I am using at the end of the fingerboard. As far as I know he only used it a couple of times, and I traced it off of a very unique and fantastic F4 classical model that lives here in town.

I guess the headstock inlay and matching inlaid pickguard was pretty much my idea. And my Dad - Fred Kimble - deserves a lot of credit for these designs, as he was right there with me and helped a lot.

Best wishes,
Will Kimble
www.kimblemandolins.com

Will Kimble
Feb-05-2010, 12:44pm
Requisite pics with inlaid pickguard - took these this morning, hopefully Glassweb won't mind...

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll95/willkimble/SAB1.jpg

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll95/willkimble/SAB2.jpg

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll95/willkimble/SAB3.jpg

Will Kimble
www.kimblemandolins.com

mandophil(e)
Feb-05-2010, 1:02pm
What a beautiful piece of spruce. Glassman.... you're a lucky guy. Will... you're a genius.

SternART
Feb-05-2010, 1:55pm
Phil.......I think you just made Will's head explode. ;)

Glassweb
Feb-05-2010, 2:14pm
Requisite pics with inlaid pickguard - took these this morning, hopefully Glassweb won't mind...

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll95/willkimble/SAB1.jpg

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll95/willkimble/SAB2.jpg

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll95/willkimble/SAB3.jpg

Will Kimble
www.kimblemandolins.com

oh, don't worry about me too much... you know i'm a glutton for "punishment"!

if that ain't beautiful i don't know what is! thanks Wheel!

mandophil(e)
Feb-05-2010, 2:17pm
I own the guy's latest--trust me. I know whereof I speak.

Pete Martin
Feb-05-2010, 2:25pm
I own the guy's latest--trust me. I know whereof I speak.

Yes he does.

Glassman, that look great, let us know when you get it.

Glassweb
Feb-05-2010, 2:33pm
actually, i think Will's 2 point design is quite different from JM's. it's natural for all luthier's (musicians, artists etc...) to be influenced by what's come before... what counts is what you do with it after...

Glassweb
Feb-05-2010, 2:35pm
Yes he does.

Glassman, that look great, let us know when you get it.

hi Pete... Steve Brown here... (we know each other from Seattle) when it's finished we'll get together sometime so you can check it out. yes, Glassweb and i are one in the same...

Ken Olmstead
Feb-07-2010, 1:06pm
Glassweb - that is insanely beautiful!! I played a Kimble Mandola at symposium this last year and I can honestly say that it was the finest instrument I have ever played! I mean any instrument in 25 years of playing guitars, banjos and mandolins. I have played some fine instruments but that thing was outragous!! Priced beyond my means (especially with my lovely Stealth in progress at the time) but simply an amazing piece of work! You are sure to enjoy!

Looking forward to seeing and hearing the finished masterpiece!

John Gardinsky
Feb-09-2010, 6:54pm
Precision work Will and I bet the sound will be stunning. John

Perry
Feb-09-2010, 7:31pm
Make it stop! Please..........
I'm always on the Edge of buying one of Will's Dolas

Glassweb
Feb-09-2010, 7:49pm
thanks all for the nice feedback on the upcoming dola... Will seems to think the sound "is happening", so you can believe my fingers are twitching in anticipation.
i was lucky enough to play a couple of Will's H5 dolas in Ohio and Chicago last year. they were both superb! sound, feel, construction... what can i say, i dig Will's instruments! at the moment i'm playing a graciously lent A5 Kimble dola that was Will's first attempt and guess what? it's superb! and it was made 7 years ago, and since then he has completely redesigned all specs. so any new orders will be benefitting from years of experience at dola building. i think it's safe to say that Will has built more mandolas than just about any of our current mando masters... probably Gil is ahead in actual numbers.
now let's talk about the experience... working with Will has been a gas. i probably ordered this instrument about a year and a half ago and, while it's running a bit late, Will has always kept in good communications and made me aware of any delays and why they'd be happening. losing your workshop and having to relocate certainly warrants a bit of slack. so does losing your trusty babysitter for a 4 month stretch (Will has two adorable kids)... this really cut back on his hours at the shop. so these delays were disclosed and understandable. we've gone back and forth about this feature and that... a light-hearted play of give and take. in the end i think we're both very excited about what we've come up with. i have FINALLY agreed to give up ALL control from now till completion so it's all Will on autopilot from here on in. we'll keep you posted as things develop.

Glassweb
Feb-09-2010, 7:52pm
Make it stop! Please..........
I'm always on the Edge of buying one of Will's Dolas

Perry... give Will a call ASAP... he might have some info you'd be excited to hear about... no kidding!

Glassweb
Feb-09-2010, 7:53pm
oops, how did this happen... sorry!

pjlama
Feb-10-2010, 1:35am
You're killing me GW, I'm trying to justify a custom build and Will is on my short list. This is not fair.

Glassweb
Feb-10-2010, 2:04am
yo... PJ...JDI! (just do it)

Glassweb
Feb-11-2010, 8:34pm
ok you mandola horndogs... check out the classifieds for a nice-lookin', recent Kimble mandola that's up for sale... he/she who hesitates is TOAST!

Chris Biorkman
Feb-11-2010, 8:37pm
I lack liquidity and am slightly afraid of my unemployed wife, otherwise I'd be all over that.

sgarrity
Feb-11-2010, 10:11pm
I am instrument poor and unemployed or I'd be very tempted as well. Maybe I should learn how to play the 'dola before I buy a $5k one though........LOL

mrmando
Feb-11-2010, 10:53pm
Maybe I should learn how to play the 'dola before I buy a $5k one though........LOL
That one will TEACH you to play it.

I've had a few moments with that particular 'dola. I get goosebumps just thinking about it.

Richard Morrison
Feb-11-2010, 11:30pm
Lovin' the block, and the top!

hank
Feb-11-2010, 11:37pm
Holy Cow That's gorgeous Glass. You guys up there in Washington got it going on. Talk about Dola Dreaming, You and Will are causing another major outbreak of acute DAS. Congratulations, you done good.

Glassweb
Feb-11-2010, 11:45pm
Will knows what he's doin'! And he does know his Cinci-style chile joints!

Glassweb
Mar-31-2010, 12:39am
OK dola fans, she's ready to roll! Will be arriving at my place tomorrow morning. Will check in later...

sgarrity
Mar-31-2010, 12:51am
What a stunning instrument! I know you're gonna love that one.

hank
Mar-31-2010, 1:14am
Ou Wee! Your gonna be Boo Coo amuck in tenor land. And the Dola girls go do do do do do do dooooooo.:)) Congratulation's on your new mandola. Is this your first one?

Glassweb
Mar-31-2010, 1:19am
My first Kimble Dola, but I had a Gil Dola before I ordered this one. I won't be sleeping tonight!

Rob Fowler
Mar-31-2010, 1:32am
Yup, that's pretty epic looking!

If you pay for my gas I could drive up to WA to help you break it in, Glassweb! HAH!

Awesome...

Oggy
Mar-31-2010, 2:36am
If you pay for my gas I could drive up to WA to help you break it in, Glassweb! HAH!

To bad Rob ;), Will's instruments don't need to be broken in... they sound awesome from the start! At least mine did.

Awesome lookin' mandola Glassweb (and Will)! I couldn't be more jealous.

grassrootphilosopher
Mar-31-2010, 3:30am
Cute instrument. Music police says this thread needs a soundclip/video.

Chris Biorkman
Mar-31-2010, 9:02am
That looks awesome, Glassweb.

Nelson Peddycoart
Mar-31-2010, 9:24am
Here it is Holy Week and I am guilty of being covetous....

Beautiful work!

Glassweb
Mar-31-2010, 9:37am
Music police says this thread needs a soundclip/video.

unfortunately I am the most non-tech savy person in the world and I have nothing to make a recording/video with. but hey... you know it's gonna sound good just from lookin' at it. Should be here later today...

doc holiday
Mar-31-2010, 9:38am
Glassweb! Great looking mandola. I saw a Kimble 2 pt a year or so back at Greg Boyd's in Missoula that was the best sounding mandolin in the place. If it had been an f-style I know it would have flown out of there in less than a week. Nice approach to avoid the black tongue :-). Michael Heiden is another modern maker who is a fine fine fiddler and mandolin player. Many happy tunes on the 'dola when it reaches your hands

mtucker
Mar-31-2010, 9:50am
the finish kills! love the os burst. thats a mighty fine piece.

Glassweb
Mar-31-2010, 10:57am
Glassweb! Great looking mandola. I saw a Kimble 2 pt a year or so back at Greg Boyd's in Missoula that was the best sounding mandolin in the place. If it had been an f-style I know it would have flown out of there in less than a week. Nice approach to avoid the black tongue :-)

Thanks Doc... you know, I've been real good lately about not mentioning the Dr**d*d Bl**K Ton**e so don't get me started! ;)

doc holiday
Mar-31-2010, 12:58pm
GW re: black tongue....what's the line...."Just because you have silenced a man, doesn't mean you have converted him".....:-)

Glassweb
Mar-31-2010, 2:21pm
Ha! Tru'-nuff brother!

Chris Biorkman
Apr-01-2010, 2:44pm
Well?

nobullmando74
Apr-01-2010, 5:36pm
very nice, keep posting 'em

Glassweb
Apr-01-2010, 5:50pm
Well?

Well... been lost in the mail for 2 days now... was supposed to arrive yesterday... still missing today... no help at all from the postal service so... NEVER USE EXPRESS MAIL AGAIN FOR DELIVERING VALUABLE STRING INSTRUMENTS. Me and Will are NOT pleased. Will keep you "posted" as it were. I may have to go postal...

Chris Biorkman
Apr-01-2010, 6:25pm
Omg, that stinks! Hope they resolve that quickly.

Glassweb
Apr-01-2010, 6:30pm
Thanks Chris... I might have to call Johnny Casper to take care of this one for me...

Glassweb
Apr-01-2010, 7:58pm
Giovannni Gasparo... gets it done every time... the mandola is coming up from Seattle and I'll have it tomorrow...

Nelson Peddycoart
Apr-02-2010, 8:31am
That is one gawjus instrument!

Glassweb
Apr-02-2010, 4:50pm
The Kimble made it to the P.O. this morning and I went down and picked it up myself... no way I was gonna sit around and wait for the truck to get here. So enough about the shipping woes... let me just tell it like it is. This is, hands down, the best mandola I've ever played - PERIOD. Not only that, it's one of the best stringed instruments I've ever played - PERIOD. Will has made me an instrument that is flat-out gorgeous, perfectly balanced, plays like a dream and feels like an old friend right out of the box. Tone, volume, balance, response... what can I say... I know it's a cliche, but Will really out-did himself with this one. It's more than I could have ever hoped for and, yes, it was definitely worth the wait! Thank-you Will... you've made this grumpy old Cyclops very happy... :grin::grin::grin:

swinginmandolins
Apr-02-2010, 4:54pm
Glad to hear that you received it and all is well. Enjoy!!

Glassweb
Apr-02-2010, 5:08pm
Thanks to all who have been so supportive before, during and after this build... I do appreciate it very much...

Chris Biorkman
Apr-02-2010, 5:23pm
So, you like it? ;) congrats.

SternART
Apr-02-2010, 7:33pm
ahhhhhhh a happy ending!

Glassweb
Apr-02-2010, 8:02pm
Art, this is one magical instrument... no kidding!

SternART
Apr-02-2010, 10:23pm
I'm glad some dude down at the Post Office isn't playing it........I was worried for you there.
Hey, I'm envious.........CONGRATS to both you and Will !!!

Steve-o
Apr-02-2010, 10:54pm
Hey, congrats Glassweb! I've been away for a while and didn't notice all the excitement. Just a gorgeous mandola - lot's of mojo. You are a lucky man.

Glassweb
Apr-02-2010, 11:43pm
After a bad experience with a custom-order mandolin many years ago I swore never to do a custom instrument again. It was too heartbreaking in the end and I felt awful "rejecting" the instrument because you're really sort of rejecting the builder as well... not a good feeling. So I feel especially grateful to Wheel for really going the distance to make sure I'd be satisfied. It's taken many years and this mandola to bring about the change, but I'm "a believer" once again in the player/artisan relationship. This dola is hotter than Cinci-style chili!

Dfyngravity
Apr-10-2010, 10:12am
Well, it looks like you have gotten yourself a real gem. And you have gained confidence back in luthiers and custom builds too. I can only image what that baby sounds like!

Chris Biorkman
Apr-10-2010, 10:55am
There's a nice looking new Kimble A mandola at Carmel Music.

sgarrity
Apr-24-2010, 11:44pm
There's a nice looking new Kimble A mandola at Carmel Music.

Not any more! :grin: :mandosmiley:

Don Grieser
Apr-25-2010, 11:24am
Shaun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hank
Apr-25-2010, 4:38pm
Dern, it's awful hard to hang out here without getting at least a little envious. SHAUN!!!!!! Ha, Congratulations, looking forward to some good Dola recordings. I tried to coax our fearless leader (Captain Scott T.)into making some with his H5 without any success and Glassweb has already taken the fifth.

sgarrity
Apr-25-2010, 5:20pm
Videos will be coming next week probably. Will makes a darn fine mandola and deserves all the congratulations. Now, what do I sell to help pay for this acquisition?? :confused: :grin:

swinginmandolins
Apr-25-2010, 5:54pm
Congrats Shaun! Looking forward to the videos.

Gary Hedrick
Apr-25-2010, 6:21pm
You will enjoy it greatly. He makes a very good instrument.

sgarrity
Apr-26-2010, 3:59pm
Here's Shove the Pig's Foot.....on the mandola.

oidv6pVVx5k

Rob Fowler
Apr-26-2010, 4:09pm
Damn Shaun! That's a NICE DOLA!!! I need to get into your line of work...whatever that may be!

hank
Apr-28-2010, 2:46pm
Sounds mighty fine Shaun. Thanks for sharing.

sgarrity
Apr-28-2010, 4:36pm
I'm still figuring out how to play this thing so forgive my mistakes but here are a few more:

Jerusalem Ridge
ELPxhx7UrD0

Dubuque
DmXbUPFqC84