PDA

View Full Version : Catnip by Wake Frankfield

Perry
Feb-01-2010, 9:51am
Does anybody have a transcription of this? The TABedit file on Mandozine doesn't do much for me. I'm listening to version on the Red Allen The Folkways Years, The Kitchen Tapes and also the instructional MP3 on Jim Moss' website and various YouTube clips. All have their own unique subtleties.
I've been slowing them down and sort of getting there but I'm missing some twists and turns.

How accurate is the transcription in the Jack Tottle book?

Tom C
Feb-01-2010, 10:03am
Perry, If it is on one of his video instructions DVDs, I may have it as I have 2 or 3 of them. I'll check. We are pickin at Pete's tonight. Drew will be there. Figure 8:00

swampstomper
Feb-01-2010, 12:27pm
IIRC it's in the Tottle book "Bluegrass Mandolin", along with New Camptown Races.

AlanN
Feb-01-2010, 12:32pm
Yep, and Jack's reading of Frank's solos is very accurate, based on the 1964 Folkways Red Allen/Frank Wakefield recording (Folkways FA2408).

Pete Hicks
Feb-03-2010, 5:47pm
Frank has a fine new instrumental album out with a bunch of neat instrumentals, such as, The Old Cat Sneezed, Runaway Train, and Own Self Blues, to name a few.

Glassweb
Feb-03-2010, 6:02pm
Catnip... the first blugrass instrumental to ever take it "outside the blugrass box". A musical milestone to my way of thinking. One of my favorite BG instrumentals of all times... especially the way Frank played it on the Folkways recording...

bgjunkie
Feb-04-2010, 2:58pm
check out http://www.candlewater.com/frankwakefield/ about half way down the page there is a heading that says "Catnip" in MP3. Just below that is a link that plays an mp3 of Frank talking about and teaching (he goes over the chords and slows each part down a bit) Catnip.

It's worth the listen.