PDA

View Full Version : Newbie needs advice on Mandolin purchase

miksel
Jan-30-2010, 4:35pm
Hi,I am a new member looking to purchase my first mandolin and need advice please.I am interested in Americana,Newgrass and Bluegrass on the light side,and roots tunes.I have been looking at a Weber Gallatin F style Mahogany body with tone bars.Would this work for most styles listed above and be a model to stay with as i advance as a player (being optomistic here)? Please excuse the long post,Mike S.

CES
Jan-30-2010, 4:47pm
I think a Weber Gallatin would be a tremendous mandolin to start with...light years ahead of what most of us start out on, and should be versatile enough to cover the styles you've mentioned.
If you get into Bluegrass hardcore you may eventually want to get a spruce/maple, but the Gallatin will get the job done, too.

I've gotta admit, I'm a little jealous ;)

miksel
Jan-30-2010, 5:11pm
I think a Weber Gallatin would be a tremendous mandolin to start with...light years ahead of what most of us start out on, and should be versatile enough to cover the styles you've mentioned.
If you get into Bluegrass hardcore you may eventually want to get a spruce/maple, but the Gallatin will get the job done, too.

I've gotta admit, I'm a little jealous ;)

Chuck,Thank You for the help.Dont be jealous though.I started learning to play guitar 3 years ago at the old age of 48 and as i have played i have tried different guitars(used) and i am selling a guitar to pay for the mandolin.Still keeping a guitar to play but have gotten bitten by the Mandolin bug.I blame the gentleman i take guitar lessons from.He had me accompanyhim,in a very simple backup strum, on his Mandolin while we played Ashokan Farewell and i was hooked.Be well,Mike S.

CES
Jan-30-2010, 5:34pm
Sorry you have to give one up to get the Gallatin, but commend you for realizing that you're better off making a reasonable investment if you know you're hooked. I got started pretty late in the game as well (started playing guitar in my late 20s and got my first mando somewhere around 30...still wish I'd picked it up as a kid, and my first mando was a 350 dollar ebay disaster of a Kentucky 675-S. I didn't have much disposable income at the time and was looking for the most "bang for my buck." It wasn't Saga's fault, by the way, but the thing came with issues. I still have it and still play it but learned from that mando that you really do, at least to a point, get what you pay for.

My favorite mando of the moment is my Flatiron pancake (made when Bruce Weber was in charge there)...the quality is obviously superior to my others.

If you want other suggestions many can be made...in about the same range you could consider a Gibson A-9, some of Breedlove's offerings, a Silverangel "Econo" model (nothing "econo" about them), and upper level Eastmans and Kentucky models. You could also look at the Kentucky 505, which is a nice A model for about 500 bucks. But, if you've played a Gallatin and like the feel of it, I think you'll only get happier with it as you learn. And, as you learn and play different mandos, you'll figure out what you really like as far as feel and tone, and if it's not the Gallatin, then at least it'll retain its value for resale :)

Good luck, and welcome to the mando!

Rogapesh
Jan-30-2010, 5:35pm
Chuck,Thank You for the help.Dont be jealous though.I started learning to play guitar 3 years ago at the old age of 48 and as i have played i have tried different guitars(used) and i am selling a guitar to pay for the mandolin.Still keeping a guitar to play but have gotten bitten by the Mandolin bug.I blame the gentleman i take guitar lessons from.He had me accompanyhim,in a very simple backup strum, on his Mandolin while we played Ashokan Farewell and i was hooked.Be well,Mike S.

Ah, that was my first hit too - playing someone elses mandolin when I should have been playing my own guitar. I wouldn't touch someone's mandolin right now, since I'm playing an el cheapo and I don't need further reminders about how cheap it actually is.

Jill McAuley
Jan-30-2010, 6:17pm
I've got a Gallatin and think it's a great mandolin altogether! You'd definitely get a lot of mileage out of one - what a great instrument to start out on! I'm assuming it's a model with f-holes? If so it should do you well for the styles you're interested in playing. If it's an oval hole model it might not get you that bluegrass sound like one with f-holes will.

Cheers,
Jill

San Rafael
Jan-30-2010, 7:03pm
Hi Miksel. Welcome to the Cafe. I have an older Weber mahogany mandolin, and I just love it. I've added another one since I got that one years ago, but I still use the Weber frequently anyway, and it looks, sounds, and feels great. It's very "playable," as they say. I just have a lot of affection and respect for it somehow. I learned the most on it.

If you can afford one as your first, go for it. It can absolutely serve you well for a long time, or be a lifetime mando.

The people at Sound to Earth (Weber) are great.

miksel
Jan-30-2010, 7:16pm
Thanks so much for all the help and encouragement !!! This is the model with the F holes.Glad i joined and look forward to being a "sponge" here to try to learn all i can.Again thanks for your kind welcomes.Mike S.

jim_n_virginia
Jan-30-2010, 7:22pm
Mike someone soon will probably post that you can get more mandolin with an A style! LOL! Don't be swayed if you want an F style get one. :))

You can't go wrong with a Weber they are really nice instruments and if you ever have any questions with it you can contact Vern Brekke over there who is the company sound engineer who is a great guy and he can help you or point you in the right direction.

good luck! :mandosmiley:

Earl Gamage
Jan-30-2010, 7:25pm
Ha! What a great mandolin to start with. Go for it.