PDA

View Full Version : Newer gibson A models VS Older teens and 20's Gibson A models

8STRNG
Jan-30-2010, 11:18am
Which do yo think are built better and which has better tone in your opinion?

8STRNG
Jan-30-2010, 11:58am
I need some of you all with experience to chime in on this because i have a older gibson a but someone is wanting to trade me a newer a-9 i just wonder if would be better in tone and value wise?

F-2 Dave
Jan-30-2010, 12:06pm
What Gibson A do you have? Is it an oval hole or and F hole model. Can you post pictures?

John Kinn
Jan-30-2010, 12:06pm
Is the old one f-holes or oval?

8STRNG
Jan-30-2010, 1:17pm
My gibby is a oval hole

John Kinn
Jan-30-2010, 1:24pm
An oval hole teens and a A9 are completely different animals. It depends on your tastes musically,of course. The ovals have ring and sustain, while the A9 will be more woody, with barking chops. The A9 nut is consideraby narrower than an old A oval hole.The A9 is better for bluegrass.Many would say that the old A will be better for celtic, but the A9 is versatile. Apples and oranges, really.

allenhopkins
Jan-30-2010, 3:15pm
1. I would say that initial construction values are comparable, in answer to your "better built" question. Of course, a 75-year-old mandolin has undergone the stresses of string tension and playing for a longer time. Depending on original construction and how it was cared for, it may have some deterioration -- top sinkage, loosening of glue joints, neck warp, etc. Before the early '20's, Gibsons had no neck truss rods, so the necks were made "beefier" to resist string pull. The A-9 has an adjustable truss rod, so there needs to be less wood in the neck. Most early A's had shorter scales, thicker necks -- whether you prefer that, or the longer-scale A-9, is a matter of personal preference --

2. As is "tone." You have your older A, and the potential-exchange A-9. Play both of them for an hour or two, and decide which tone you prefer. They will definitely be different, and you'll hear lots of adjectives like "tubby," "woody," and tonal qualities like "ring" and "bark" thrown around. None of them equal "better" or "worse." An oval-hole mandolin sounds different from an f-hole mandolin; different scale length, different tone woods, age, and construction differences make for different sounds. Which one you like is your business.

3. You didn't mention market value, but I'd consider it. Your older Gibson A is what the dealers call "vintage." Its value is likely to increase with the years, if you treat it non-abusively. Prices on old Gibson mandolins have been going up pretty steadily. The A-9's a newer instrument, and Gibson's turning them out regularly, so it's "used" rather than "vintage." Not to say it won't hold its value, perhaps even head up somewhat as time goes by, but it's not as safe a bet as the "vintage" A. (Now, there are several assumptions involved: the old A has all original parts [no replacement tuners, tailpiece etc.], it's in good playing shape, and price trends continue as they have in the past decade or so.)

A neat choice to have. Now, what I'd do: I'd keep the old A and buy the A-9 as an additional mandolin. But I'm nuts, as you can see.

8STRNG
Jan-30-2010, 3:58pm
Thanks allen I wonder if you would know the acual value of each instrument now?Mine is a teens pumpkin top a1 and everything is original it has The gibson on the headstock no major blemishes or scratches with original pickguard.

sgarrity
Jan-30-2010, 4:01pm
I wouldn't trade that for an A9. They've been selling for around $11-1200 here recently. And I'd say your old A1 is probably worth $14-1700 depending on condition, case, etc. Pics of your mando would definitely help with this discussion. But I guess it ultimately depends on the kind of music you play and the tone you're looking for.

Big Joe
Jan-30-2010, 5:18pm
Your mandolin is probably worth about 1 1/2 to 2 times the value of a used A9 assuming both are in good condition. Your old Gibson is a wonderful instrument and they have a really good tone. They are not really as good for bluegrass, but do well for most other styles. The A9 is a bit more functional for bluegrass if that is what you mostly want to play. The only other difference is that the A9 has a longer neck which does make it easier to play farther up the neck.

Both are great instruments. I would suggest try playing the A9 and see if it is what you are looking for. If you are not convinced it is the right one for you then keep what you have. You may even want to keep what you have and add an A9 or another A or F that is better for bluegrass than what you have. That gives you the best of both worlds. Like someone said above, it is apples for oranges.

John Kinn
Jan-30-2010, 8:14pm
I'm with Allen: Keep them both!:)