PDA

View Full Version : For immature audiences only

Laird
Jan-29-2010, 1:47pm
Well, the big news here is that my three-month-old son is growing more patient with my mandolin playing, even allowing me to get through three or four songs before we reach the end of his tiny attention span. That's great news for me, because I had lost my practice time between being a stay-at-home dad in the daylight hours and working at night. Now I can get in a little practice at least, and entertain young Addy to boot!

Here's my question: he seems to prefer fiddle tunes (Soldier's Joy, Whiskey Before Breakfast, Arkansas Traveler, Red-Haired Boy), though he'll occasionally put up with my wailing rendition of Walls of Time. Any suggestions of other tunes that might be especially pleasing to infant ears?

Trey Young
Jan-29-2010, 2:04pm
My six month old son's favorites are Shennandoah, Salt Creek, and Mr. PC. My daughter's favorite fiddle tune at that age was Green Leaf Fancy, but she rather enjoyed my singing (she's a bit odd).

Daijoki
Jan-29-2010, 2:20pm
I'd try Blackberry Blossom and Old Joe Clark (which can be played with lyrics... "Clap, clap, clap your hands. Clap your hands together..."

catmandu2
Jan-29-2010, 2:20pm
he seems to prefer fiddle tunes...

That's because he wants to dance. IME, the instrument kids are most compelled by is 5-string banjo...probably because it imparts such a kinetic sound.

Have fun with that Laird--there's great joy in making music with kids.

JEStanek
Jan-29-2010, 2:42pm
Have fun with songs from Rise Up Singing (http://www.singout.org/rus.html)from Sing Out! My kids also really liked Dan Zanes' stuff. He has songs and chords (http://www.danzanes.com/main/lryics_chords.shtml)posted on his site. Have fun, I love singing/playing with my kids, when the let me.

Jamie

Laird
Jan-30-2010, 12:13pm
Thanks for the suggestions, folks. I appreciate them. By the way, Jamie, I checked out Dan Zanes online and downloaded a couple albums from him. Good stuff!

Daniel Nestlerode
Jan-30-2010, 12:25pm
Ookpik Waltz and Ashokan Farewell for quiet time. ;)

Daniel