PDA

View Full Version : Beginner seeking advice Loar 500, 600, or Kentuckys?

cmateer
Jan-27-2010, 5:04pm
Hello,

I found a used Loar 500vs for $450. Would this be a good buy to start with as a beginner? Or would it be wiser to go for the Loar 500 new?

I've also been told that Loar's sound tinny and I would be better off with comparable Kentuckys (630, 675, 700). Any thoughts?

To be totally honest, I've never played a mandolin in my life and I am really excited to get something decent that will last for a while and keep it's sound. Keeping it under $700 is ideal.

Capt. E
Jan-27-2010, 5:18pm
The Loar 500 and The Loar 600 are very different animals. The 600 is a much better mandolin. I have heard many good things about the 600 and the 700 as well, but have never played one myself. I consider the Kentucky mandolins to be among the better deals out there, especially the KM-505. It is perhaps the best mandolin under $500 in the market today (my opinion, shared by many). If you insist on getting an F model with the scroll, look at the other Kentucky's you listed. The Rover RM75 has quite a few fans as well. All of this assumes you buy from a reputable dealer who will make sure the instrument is set up properly. That can make a huge difference.

Welcome to the cafe.

CES
Jan-27-2010, 5:59pm
Agree...I've spoken with a local dealer who told me recently that he wasn't impressed with the LM-500s he'd seen but that he felt the 600s were comparable to higher end Kentucky models (thinking maybe the 800s, not necessarily the KM1000). The 500s weren't bad mandos, but just not comparable to the hand built newer models.

Now, can you learn on an LM 500? Absolutely. If you have a chance to hold it and pick it before you buy, even better...you don't have to know how to really play, but strum a few chords (diagrams on this site), check out a chop chord up the neck a little (A, maybe), and pick some single line runs to make sure it frets easily, the nut slots are OK (ie, not so wide the your fingers slip through, etc). It may also help to have someone play it for you so you can hear how it sounds to the listener...

I have a Kentucky 675 S that sounds great for the money, but the neck is a little skinnier than I like...it was my first mando, an ebay purchase, and I've played it for years and still do. With the wrong strings and pick it sounds a little tinny, too, compared to a higher end mando, but with the right set up it really woofs. You can't really know what you like from a feel and tone standpoint until you've played for a while, so don't worry too much about your first one. As long as it's set up (or can be set up, and not structurally unsound) you can learn on it and love it, or, if you don't, you can always upgrade later when you have a better sense of what you really like.

On that note, you may have better luck with resale on a Kentucky than a 500 series Loar, but you never know.

Good luck!

Big Joe
Jan-27-2010, 8:51pm
The LM600 or LM700 will definitely compare to the KM1000 any day. The 600 is a significant step up from the 500. The only problem with the LM600 and LM700 is availability. They sell very quickly and are not often in stock with many dealers. Properly set up the 600 or 700 are excellent instruments... especially for the money. You should be able to get very close to a 600 for the price you mentioned.

Martin
Jan-29-2010, 5:57pm
Well I don't beat a drum to often for any particular instrument but I own a Loar 600 and I can't believe the value for the dollar, I also own a Gibson F9, a1920 F4 and a couple of other inexpensive mandos. Since I got this Loar I set it up with J75 strings did a little work to the tuners to get them to work a little easier and this is the only one I've been playing for the last three months. It holds it's own in jams very well.
Okay down from my soap box.
Good luck with whatever you purchase

jim simpson
Jan-29-2010, 10:41pm
I have a student who ordered an LM700 and should get it in a few days. I'm really looking forward to checking it out. If it's everything that folks have been saying, it will be a great instrument to learn on as well as keep.

Piper
Jan-29-2010, 10:58pm
Had a Loar 700 for a few weeks. Loved it. Sent it down to Bigjoe for a new bridge, tailpiece and set up. Got it back and it played like a million bucks. Only problem is UPS did a number on it in the damage dept. so it is making a road trip back to Bigjoe. More later.

goldtopper
Jan-30-2010, 5:50am
Hey, How long a wait on a 600? After reading so much from so many, you'll get my business when I got enough ammo to pull the trigger.

Big Joe
Jan-30-2010, 9:13am
There are no LM600 or 700 in the warehouse at the moment, but I would expect to see them in just a few weeks. They go fast and they are a great instrument for the bucks.

tatwell
Feb-01-2010, 12:35pm
I'll have to add my satisfaction with my 600 to all the others. I have had mine close to two months now and play at least 2 hours a day and sometimes much more. I am perfectly pleased with it and since I bought it from Big Joe, it came in ready to play. I just replaced the J74's with some JM11's that gives it a different tone that works great for the types of music I play. The only problem I had was finding one when I was ready to buy, but I am glad now that I waited.

Steve Sorensen
Feb-02-2010, 1:50am
And once again, the Loar 600 is FANTASTIC. I'm up right now because I couldn't put mine down! :mandosmiley:

Just keeps opening up and getting richer with time.

Steve

Earlyman67
Feb-08-2010, 9:40pm
I waited two months for my 600, well worth it..