PDA

View Full Version : Whomping the server

danb
Jan-27-2010, 9:16am
Hey folks, I'm whomping the server a bit here, but I reckon it'll be un-whomped soon. This is in case you spot any kind of "hey, this seems slightly less than instantaneous today" going on..

Scott Tichenor
Jan-27-2010, 9:28am
Precisely, that would be the little known command:

# whomp -f * | grep foo

MikeEdgerton
Jan-27-2010, 9:35am
This really is geek heaven.

danb
Jan-27-2010, 9:36am
Actually I niced my whomp

f#54
Jan-27-2010, 9:42am
Mandolin content? :confused:

danb
Jan-27-2010, 9:46am
Mandolin content? :confused:

Sorry, you've come to the wrong place, we are currently waving wands over the server and chanting, please return to your regularly scheduled forum

f#54
Jan-27-2010, 10:04am
Sorry...I see its a magic thing.
While your at it please wave the wand over my tremolo

Ted Eschliman
Jan-27-2010, 10:17am
Ah, tech support. If you aren't a part of the solution, there's money to be made in prolonging the problem.
:)

JEStanek
Jan-27-2010, 10:29am
I would like to see the TPS report when the whomping has completed along with an exception roster and corrective action resolution summary, please. We must document these activities throughly or the Bluegrass IT Police may be called in.

Mike Bromley
Jan-27-2010, 11:11am
Grep Foo

A combination of Kung Fu and Egg Foo Yung; but pronounced in the accent of Mr T from the 'A-Team'

"Grep, FOO!"

journeybear
Jan-27-2010, 4:14pm
Sorry, you've come to the wrong place, we are currently waving wands over the server and chanting, please return to your regularly scheduled forum

And this is Post 5000 for you?!?!? Bardeen, Shockley, and Brattain would have been so proud. Noting the milestone with style! :cool:

HddnKat
Jan-28-2010, 6:56pm
Okay, I think we need some new tech-speak.

If rebooting the server is known as 'whomping' then what is it when we have to disconnect everything from the NIC through the router and the cable modem? Is that retuning the router or twanging the cable modem?:))

Bertram Henze
Jan-29-2010, 3:44am
For everyone interested in those secret linguistics, I recommend FOLDOC (http://foldoc.org/kluge)

danb
Jan-29-2010, 5:07am
And this is Post 5000 for you?!?!? Bardeen, Shockley, and Brattain would have been so proud. Noting the milestone with style! :cool:

Boy that's somewhat embarrassing. Time for a little sql..

update forum set post count=433 where userid='danb';

that should result in

$patheticness --;

danb
Jan-29-2010, 5:14am
For everyone interested in those secret linguistics, I recommend FOLDOC (http://foldoc.org/kluge)

Any significance to the fact that you pointed to the definition of "Kludge" in your link there Bertram? Hmm?

Bertram Henze
Jan-30-2010, 4:39pm
Any significance to the fact that you pointed to the definition of "Kludge" in your link there Bertram? Hmm?

In fact, that is the concept I encountered most in my 30 years of programming, and much of which I did myself. :redface:

More geekspeak to feed the fantasies of non-geeks here:
ksh> rm -rf /bin/laden

bagpipe
Jan-30-2010, 7:56pm
As a Scottish Engineer, I want to point out how offended I am by:

http://foldoc.org/kludge

Although, I have to admit that I've written some software kludges in my time!
(but mainly to work around hardware problems!@ ;))!

HddnKat
Jan-30-2010, 8:09pm
Thank you for the FOLDOC link - reading through their list of humor (http://foldoc.org/contents/humour.html) terms brought back many chuckles left over from misspent days debugging output in the basement of the computing building way back when.:))

danb
Feb-01-2010, 2:59pm
When i needed to register my "publishing company" for the CD, I chose "crufty music"..

Tom C
Feb-01-2010, 3:18pm
In my unix days... I used to call my server Elvis. So when one would ping Elvis, it would come back with..."Elvis is alive"

CES
Feb-01-2010, 3:21pm
Do you get better tone whomping with a Blue chip or Wegen??

(I have no idea what you guys are talking about...when I took computer science everything was still DOS based :redface: )

Anyway, thanks for keeping things running!

:mandosmiley:

Bertram Henze
Feb-03-2010, 9:48am
In my unix days... I used to call my server Elvis. So when one would ping Elvis, it would come back with..."Elvis is alive"

Another unix classic:

ksh> make love

Dont know how to make love

Mando_Danny
Feb-04-2010, 5:34am

Ok that made me LOL...for real. :))