PDA

View Full Version : Teaching suggestions

G'DAE
Jan-23-2010, 7:28pm
A young person is very interested in learing the mandolin. We live too far from instructors, so I have been asked to help her get started. I don't know where to start. Any tips?
Thanks, Bob.

AW Meyer
Jan-23-2010, 7:35pm
Talk with her parents about what they specifically would like her to to learn. Talk to the girl about the same things. Try to find out about musical preferences and the like. It's good to have a few goals in mind, things upon which to focus. Try to get her pointed in the right direction, in terms of technique, how to hold the pick, how to finger the notes and chords (which fingers to use and that sort of thing). I think that's a good way to get things started.

G'DAE
Jan-24-2010, 11:13am
Thanks. You are right. Great place to start. Knowing her musical preferences will help to keep her interested. I guess we'll need to chose a song she likes.
Bob.

mandroid
Jan-24-2010, 12:19pm
Maybe a song she can sing, already? ... the tune is already in the head,

then it's getting the notes to come out thru learning the motor skills,

to be like what can be produced without the instrument..

Pete Martin
Jan-24-2010, 12:45pm
I have posted a number of basic mandolin ergonomic videos on Utube. You can find the links at my web site below.

Jim MacDaniel
Jan-24-2010, 8:32pm
Some teachers have done distance teaching via the internet; you might look into that for them. If not, Homespun has a variety of DVD that you could look into, including those for beginners IIRC.

Regarding approach, now is the time to get them acquainted with learning standard notation, so that they are not solely dependent upon tab -- but it wouldn't hurt to become familiar with tab as well if their interest leans towards genres where tab is the norm.

Ridge54
Jan-25-2010, 8:15am
I have been training myself for about 30 years. It starts with the hearing, then a passage, then a song. What keeps ringing in my head is a pronouncement that a mandolin player in my home town who said at my start. "You are a great mandolin player!" This could be said of most of us out there, but it needs to be said.

Basics would be: care of the instrument, changing strings, keeping it in tune.

If her family is musically inclined a family member should also be present.

Where would Roland White be if not for Clarence and family?

All this is just foundation, the rest will follow.

Teachers for me include:
MelBay Books
Brad Laird
Dan Huckabee
Pastor Ray
Prayer
Holy Spirit

Ridge

G'DAE
Jan-25-2010, 8:40pm
Thanks for all your ideas. I think I'll also introduce the Nashville numbering system.
Bob.

EdSherry
Jan-25-2010, 11:19pm
Depending on how young the individual is, you might think about starting her on a (GASP!) ukulele. You can tune one like a mando, but they tend to be (a) easier to play (single string/nylon rather than double course/metal) and (b) cheaper.

Butch Baldassari's BG mando DVDs are excellent.

Jim MacDaniel
Jan-26-2010, 11:39am
Regarding distance learning, you can google skype mandolin lessons and get several hits for instructors who offer real-time interactive lessons over the Internet using Skype web conferencing software (a free download), including mandolincafe regular John McGann, who takes on all levels of learners: link to his MC classifieds listing (http://www.mandolincafe.com/cgi-bin/instructors/instructors.cgi?search_and_display_db_button=on&db_id=1128&query=retrieval) (NFI).

Pete Hicks
Jan-26-2010, 1:20pm
Check out the Abbot family's learning site. www.playingbyear.com;)

Earl Gamage
Jan-26-2010, 1:55pm
It's pretty exciting to help a young person learn. I hope it goes well for you.

G'DAE
Jan-26-2010, 6:22pm
Well, Thursday is the night. I'll keep you posted on how it goes!
Bob.

G'DAE
Jan-28-2010, 10:32pm
It went pretty good. I ended up teaching her the pentatonic scale, as she wanted to learn how to play notes. I also showed her how to hold a pick along with some pick stroke exercises. A week of practice and we'll see.Very cool!
Bob.