PDA

View Full Version : Holoubek 131/42

Greg Potter
Jan-23-2010, 1:07am
Well, I have had my Holoubek for about five months now and figure I should tell everyone how much I love it. It is drop dead gorgeous and plays like butter. This has quickly become my favorite mandolin that I have owned. To date I have owned a John Wynn F-5, a Carlson signed Gibson F-5L, a Dearstone F, and two Sam Bush models. All were good mandolins, especially the last Bush model which I decided to sell last fall. My intentions were to pay some bills and buy a good mid-priced mandolin. What I got was way more than a good mandolin. I paid off my truck and medical bills which allowed me to lower my monthly payments by almost $500. I was also able to purchase Holoubek 131/42, which in my opinion, is the the best mandolin I have owned. Just a reminder that you don't have to spend a ton of money to get a killer mandolin.

As for the sound, it is very well balanced and clear with exceptional cutting power. It can give you sweetness, but surprisingly It makes me want to play more Monroe stuff. I am continually amazed at it's versatility and can't imagine a better instrument for the money.

I haven't seen any of these for a while or even seen any recent posts. Anybody know if he is still making mandolins or is anyone else out there currently playing one? I will attempt to post some photos.

Ivan Kelsall
Jan-23-2010, 2:00am
I played a Holoubek Mandolin at a Bluegrass festival a couple of years back & thought that it was excellent. Easy to play & with a beautiful tone. No surprise then that when i met the owner again last year it was 'gimme,gimme,gimme !!'. For my money, the Czech.Republic builders are making some of the best built Mandolins on the market,especially for the price - stay with it,it'll just get better,
Ivan

swampstomper
Jan-23-2010, 3:55am
I've heard several of Holoubek's mandos at the European World of Bluegrass festival over the past few years, and yes, they are quite nice. As for Czech builders, I own Prucha and Lebeda, and I've also been impressed with some Capeks. Those guys had to learn the hard way, behind the iron curtain, and developed their own approach to instruments, also their local wood supplies. And the prices from all those named above are quite reasonable for the quality. Each builder has his own "take" on both classic-inspired and modern instruments, and combined with the quality woods and build, gives each of their models a character. Definitely worth trying out.

Greg Potter
Jan-23-2010, 10:48am
Swampstomper, I love the looks of those Pruchas. I'm thinking an a style blacktop would be right up my alley. I have always admired the Czech builders. I played a Petr Slama about 15 years ago that I still can't get my mind off. Got the chance to play another one about 3 years ago and loved it. That first Slama has caused me to look at every Czech mando I come across.

One other thing about the Holoubek. It is the first x-braced mandolin I have owned. It takes about ten minutes to wake up, but after that:disbelief:

swampstomper
Jan-23-2010, 2:55pm
Swampstomper, I love the looks of those Pruchas. I'm thinking an a style blacktop would be right up my alley.

Write to Jarda via his website http://www.pruchabanjos.cz/ (http://www.pruchabanjos.cz/here) (too bad about the URL! but he is better known for the banjos) and tell him what you're thinking about. Unlike some builders who have been mentioned recently :-) he is reliable and customer-oriented. He has no problem selling his completed instruments so unless you really want something unusual I doubt he will need a deposit. He loves the challenges of making different kinds of instruments.

Ivan Kelsall
Jan-24-2010, 2:18am
One important thing to remember re.the Czech.builders,is that central Europe as a whole,has 100's of years experience in building members of the Violin family. Not ALL Violins etc.originated from Italy,so somebody had to make them. One of the most wonderful Violins i've ever heard,was a German made instrument belonging to a friend of mine. I've not seen a Czech.built instrument that was less then excellent re.the build quality. Regarding tone,well,i love my Lebeda,but tone is a very personal thing anyway.The 'Krishot' Mandolins made by Eduard Kristufek also get a lot of good press. I've played one "A" style & it was superb. I think that in the USA they're retailed by Byron Berline for one,
Ivan:cool:

grassrootphilosopher
Jan-25-2010, 8:14am
The Holoubek brothers are noted for building guitars, resonator guitars and mandolins. They operate a small shop where one takes care of the guitars and mandolins while the other (Ondra I think) is the resonator guru. They frequently display their fabulous instruments at czech festivals like the inimitable and exquisite Banjo Jamboree in the little town of Caslav.

While we talk about Ellis, Collings etc. there are/were the "underdogs" like Cliff Sargent, John Hutto etc. that were better known regionally. It may be the same with folks like the Holoubek bros., the Kristufek bros. (Edu builds mandos while the other makes banjos) etc. Their instruments are quite good (especially for the money).

HoGo
Jan-26-2010, 6:39am
I know Ondrej Holoubek and he is really good builder now striving for true Loar specs. I believe he builds more guitars this year and his current mandolins will be very Loarish. He used to use X bracing in some of his mandolins in the past

JimRichter
Jan-26-2010, 7:43am
Good mandolins. I had one for awhile. Aesthetically, very beautiful. Tonally, almost there.

Ray(T)
Jan-26-2010, 11:46am
Ondrej has always seemed to be illusive. On the one and only occasion I corresponded with him (2 or 3 years ago) he said that his web-site would be up and running within a couple of months - still nothing!

One thing I can tell you about 131/42 is that its nowhere near as good as No.117! (I think Ondrej has changed the numbering system). I've had 117 from new and its awesome. I've also owned Kimble No.150 for a year and a half and suspect that it will take much longer to reach the volume and projection of the Holoubek. Perhaps some of it is down to the "X" bracing.
Ray

Greg Potter
Jan-26-2010, 7:30pm
Ray, how long has it been since you played this mandolin and what was your impressions of it then? It doesn't have a huge bottom end like some of the mandolins I have owned but it cuts a jam better than any of them. I still have not got to really try it through a mic as I am playing guitar mostly these days, but I suspect it will do very well.

Jim, when you say "tonally almost there", was it lacking something for you? Do you happen to know what # yours was?

Ray(T)
Jan-27-2010, 6:40am
Hi Greg, I still have it and have no intention of getting rid of it. Bearing in mind I always have difficulty describing a sound in words; no, it doesn't have a huge bottom end (if you want that buy a mandola!) but it can be heard clearly in a jam and has as sweet a tone as you would want. Play it hard and it just gets louder.
Ray

Greg Potter
Jan-27-2010, 7:55pm
Ray, I was actually curious about your impressions of my mandolin (#131/42) when you played it and possibly who owned it at that time.

Ray(T)
Jan-28-2010, 2:37pm
Sorry Greg, it was my poor attempt at a joke! I've not played it I was simply trying to say that they were great instruments, particularly mine. I remember starting a thread looking for Holoubek owners a couple of years ago. I don't recall many folk sticking their heads up to be counted.
Ray

Greg Potter
Jan-28-2010, 7:31pm
I totally understand your point Ray. Great instruments indeed and at great prices if you can find one. I have seen a couple in the classifieds and on Ebay in the last few years and thought that maybe they just didn't sound that great as reflected in the going prices. All I can say is that a lot of folks probably missed the boat on this one.