PDA

View Full Version : Michael Kelly Mandola

MDW
Sep-10-2004, 11:03am
The introduction of the new MK octave mandolin started me wondering about the possibility of a similar MK mandola. So I wrote Tracy at MK. He responded back promptly that their market research indicated that there was more demand for the octave but that they were considering a mandola also. They are waiting to see how sales of the octave go before proceeding. However, he said he thought there was good possibility that something could get rolling as soon as Jan. 2005. So if you have some interest in seeing MK produce an F style mandola you might want to drop him a note at info@MichaelKellyGuitars.com

Mark

steve V. johnson
Sep-10-2004, 4:02pm
I might ask if they'd make -any- of their instruments without all the decoration...

stv

dane
Sep-10-2004, 11:17pm
Arrgggghhh!!!

I'm sorry, I just can't help myself, it's Friday night and the devil is in me.

Carved F-style mandolins are expensive to build and beautiful to look at, and Bill Monroe fortunately or unfortunately made the carved-top F the standard for bluegrass. So I'm sympathetic with folks that feel compelled to buy a Michael Kelly rather than saving up twice as much for a Weber or something similar.

When you get into OMs and bouzoukis (and IMHO mandolas as well), there really is no standard (or else Stephan Sobell set it). The majority of (professional) players are using flat top A-style instruments which are relatively inexpensive to make and sound great, so there really is no excuse for someone wasting money on a piece of ####. There are good American builders (or, if you're patient, you can wait for the next administration and a stronger US$ to buy English, Scottish, or Australian again) who make great flat top instruments that will blow away a Michael Kelly. Really, don't waste your money.

Ancient
Sep-11-2004, 11:45am
A Weber??? I just sold my Weber Bitterroot and got a real nice Breedlove Rogue. What a difference. I do own an amber Michael kelly Firefly. It is one of two in this color that was made. I don't know why but this is an exceptional mandolin. It has such a deep sweet sound that it is hard to believe it is an import. It is very loud and will stand up to any banjo or accordion. They don't all sound this good.

MDW
Sep-11-2004, 12:54pm
Dane,

Jeez, give me a break. Get off your high horse. Don't assume you know the whole situation from one post. 1) I do happen to own a very good, small builder Canadian (Muth) mandolin that is my main instrument. I owned a Gibson and a Weber before this so I am familiar with the value associated with a hand built instrument. 2) In general I happen to prefer the voice of a carved top f-hole instrument over a round or oval whole flat top. 3) I don't play Celtic so I don't have a need or desire to play something with that sound. 4) Mandolin is my main instrument so I'm not planning on putting another $2000 or more into an instrument which will only get about 5 or 10% of my playing time. 5) So while I very much appreciate and value hand made-small builder instruments, I still appreciate Michael Kelly bringing instruments to market at a reasonable price that will serve well as a secondary instrument. The MK mandolins I've played weren't great but they weren't dogs either.

MDW

pickinBob
Sep-11-2004, 1:23pm
Not exactly mandola or octave related but these are some new options:

Michael Kelly Oval hole F style (http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/items/MK10-ATBS.htm)

and

Michael Kelly A style oval hole (http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/items/MK12-AS.htm)

dane
Sep-14-2004, 1:53am
Mandolin is my main instrument so I'm not planning on putting another $2000 or more into an instrument which will only get about 5 or 10% of my playing time.

I think you missed my point. #As I stated in my original post, flattop A-style instruments are relatively inexpensive to make -- so there is no reason you shouldn't be able to buy a good one (perhaps used) for the $1K or so you'd pay for a new MK. #I have bought and sold Flyde, Moons, Peterson and Weber OM's for well under $1K, and I regularly see Freshwaters selling in the same range. #All fine hand-built instruments.

Of course, if you're dead set on a carved-top instrument, then you're absolutely right -- you probably can't touch a hand-built one for under $2K. But I'd sure encourage you to A/B the MK against an equivalently priced flattop A.