PDA

View Full Version : Sound differences between colors

Justin Brockway
Jan-22-2010, 1:40pm
Hi everyone,
I am new to the forum. Is there a noticeable sound/tone difference between a glossy Amberburst and a glossy tobacco sunburst? Or is it purely appearance? The 2 links below show my examples. Thanks for all of your help!

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Michael-Kelly-Legacy-Elegante-514034-i1176988.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Michael-Kelly-Legacy-Elegante-F-Style-Mandolin-511723-i1147226.gc

250sc
Jan-22-2010, 1:50pm
Any difference in tone between those two instruments won't be caused by the finish. You might look for a dealer who deals in mandolins to purchase from though. Setup is the most important thing for any instrument but especially in that price range. There are "mandolin" shops that carry MK mandolins and setup is part of their price/service. Shop around and check the classified adds on this site too.

CES
Jan-22-2010, 1:57pm
I don't mean to give advice you're not interested in, so if you're set on one of the ones you posted stop reading after the next paragraph :) .

Provided the woods used are the same (spruce/maple) and provided the laquer is similarly applied, there really shouldn't be that much difference in tone. There may be dramatic differences in tone from instrument to instrument within the Michael Kelly line based on QC issues, but I wouldn't expect the color of the finish to make that much of a difference.

If you just like MKs or are looking for an affordable acoustic electric instrument, by all means consider one. For that price, though, there are several Kentucky F styles (630 and 675 come to mind) within that range, and I think some of the Eastmans (515 at least, maybe 615) come in under or near a 1000 as well. Loar (the 600 models, not the 500s) falls in there as well. Generally, I think you get better QC and consistently better instruments across their lines than with MK based on some mandos from MK friends of mine have had and based on my experience with a Kentucky 675 S.

If you're willing to consider an A style, you can come in for about half that price with an import or even find some new Breedloves around 1000 (a huge step up from MK, IMO).

One final note: Nothing at all against Guitar Center, as they do get instruments into the hands of the masses. BUT, I'd consider shopping some of the Cafe sponsors, not b/c they're sponsors (I have NFI whatsoever) but because they will offer a good set-up prior to shipping. GC and Musician's Friend basically ship the instrument to you without ever meaningfully checking it. Sometimes you can get great finds through them, but more often than not factor in another 20-100 dollars in setup work to get the mando as playable as it can be.

Good luck!!

JEStanek
Jan-22-2010, 2:00pm
Justin, Welcome to the Mandolin Café. Between those two models of the MK brand, there would be no difference associated with the color. They also have the same finish over the color. Many people agree that a thinner, hand applied finish (esp. varnish) gives the best results. However, in this case, there is no difference between the instruments other than instrument to instrument variation. I agree, you should buy from someplace that will set up your mandolin for you or you will likely need to spend another $40-100 to have it adjusted once you get it to have it at its full potential.

Good luck with your mandolin hunt.

Jamie

Greg H.
Jan-22-2010, 2:24pm
Either is going to be pretty much the same.....it would depend on the specific mandolin. However, my bet would be a fairly solid one in going for (for the same money):

http://www.themandolinstore.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=7539

Oh,. . . .and GC doesn't do setup (whereas the mandolin store does).

Justin Brockway
Jan-22-2010, 2:40pm
Thank you all for your information, advice, and welcomes. I'm an average player, and also, where I live, there are no mando shops with 100 miles of me. I have to be considerate of reality and practicality. GC has 20% off + no interest or payments for 12 mos. today only. I don't feel I can pass this up. I'm sorry if this hurts smaller shops. If there are any mando shops reading this, now is your chance :)

$799
free shipping
$100 luthier set-up later on (my choice)
$10 fuel to luthier (my choice)
Possible Total is $909 setup, no interest, pay it off later

If I can get a better F-style mando with setup and no money down and shipped for $909, call me at 913-898-2387

Thanks! :)

CES
Jan-22-2010, 2:47pm
Good for you for going with it--I hope it works out well for you either way, and totally understand the economics of it...my first purchase was an ebay kentucky for 350, b/c it's all I could spend...I've put a couple hundred more into it getting it playable and have grown quite attached to it. Funny, but at the time I didn't get a new MK because they were too exspensive!!

Get it playable and wail on it, man!

Justin Brockway
Jan-22-2010, 2:57pm
I just talked to the mandolin store, they can get me a great price on the Eastman 515. I would just have to come up with the money right now...

I have heard the Eastman's are better, anyone disagree?

Greg H.
Jan-22-2010, 3:51pm
In general, Eastmans and Kentuckys are a consistently better the MK. Yes, there is always the chance that one specific MK could be better, but I stand by my bet (in my earlier post). Also the Mandolin Store has a VERY good reputation (I'm going by what I've read from others reports here. . .I haven't purchased anything from them...yet :)). If you use the Search function in here you can find a great deal about them . . . .

Patrick Gunning
Jan-22-2010, 3:56pm
Dennis @ The Mandolin Store is 100% legit.

Most Eastmans would be better than that MK in all likelihood, in my experience.

Scott Holt
Jan-22-2010, 3:58pm
"I just talked to the mandolin store, they can get me a great price on the Eastman 515. I would just have to come up with the money right now...

I have heard the Eastman's are better, anyone disagree? "

I had an Eastman as my first mandolin and it served me well for 3 yrs before moving up. I have had very good luck with Dennis at the Mandolin Store, both telephonically and in person. If he says that it is a good mandolin, I would trust him.

250sc
Jan-22-2010, 4:07pm
You'll be happier with a mandolin with a good setup. GC does not set up their new instruments.

fishtownmike
Jan-22-2010, 4:34pm
I don't know. Since some think there are differences between the white and black wegen picks maybe there is difference between colors. Maybe there is not.

allenhopkins
Jan-22-2010, 5:52pm
I have heard the Eastman's are better, anyone disagree?

Can't disagree with that! Eastman mandolins are made with a great deal of hand-work, and the success Eastman is having, starting with the violin family and expanding into mandolins, mandolas, mandocellos, arch-top and flat-top guitars, shows that they're delivering consistent value for the price. The 515 is a good mid-price F-style mandolin for around $1K or so. The Mandolin Store does pro set-up, and all those who've dealt with them have said they stand behind the instruments they sell. You'll miss some of the Michael Kelly "bling," but should get better construction, thinner finish (which is a good thing), and more customer support.

By the way, watch out, banjo players: John Bernunzio is working with Eastman to develop an open-back "frailing" banjo. Looks like that's their next move.

Phil Goodson
Jan-23-2010, 8:36am
Hi everyone,
I am new to the forum. Is there a noticeable sound/tone difference between a glossy Amberburst and a glossy tobacco sunburst? Or is it purely appearance? .....

Yeah. The mando in THIS LINK (http://www.condino.com/cricket.html) sounds very eco-friendly to me.:grin: (or maybe a bit like a yellow fleshed watermelon?) ;)

Rob Gerety
Jan-23-2010, 11:15am
Go with Dennis. Eastman's are consistently good. You will get good customer service. By far the better choice. Color means basically nothing.

Steve Ostrander
Jan-23-2010, 11:17am
Having owned all three, I would definetly go for a Kentucky or an Eastman before the MK. Also, I highly recommend The Mandolin Store. At least call Dennis and pick his brain, he will have good advice for you.

David Rambo
Jan-23-2010, 7:40pm
Having both an Eastman 805D and a MK AO, I can safely say, go for the Eastman. If economics are a problem, you can get more for your money with the A style. Bluegrass seems to like the F style more, if that is going to be an issue. Do you need F holes, or would an oval hole work?

Justin Brockway
Jan-25-2010, 12:17am
Having both an Eastman 805D and a MK AO, I can safely say, go for the Eastman. If economics are a problem, you can get more for your money with the A style. Bluegrass seems to like the F style more, if that is going to be an issue. Do you need F holes, or would an oval hole work?

I'm truly open when it comes to a mando. I like the sound of the F holes, but I'll be playing live and recording with a folk/rock band. The idea of F style is appealing for the "strap holder scroll", but I would go with an A style too. Care to suggest some things? (like saving for a breedlove or collings?)

Douglas McMullin
Jan-25-2010, 7:01am
I'm truly open when it comes to a mando. I like the sound of the F holes, but I'll be playing live and recording with a folk/rock band. The idea of F style is appealing for the "strap holder scroll", but I would go with an A style too. Care to suggest some things? (like saving for a breedlove or collings?)

It really depends on what you are looking for, and perhaps you still need to figure that out by playing some different mandolins. If that is completely unrealistic and you need something now, the recommendations for Eastman or Kentucky over MK are commonly supported in similar threads. I will also support the "consider an A over an F" idea, as you will get substantially more mandolin for your money. Both the Kentucky 505 or Eastman 505 would be great starting points.

I will also plug the Mandolin Store as an excellent outfit to deal with. The Eastman 505 I had came from them with a really good setup and they have great service.