PDA

View Full Version : The straw that broke...

Hans
Jan-21-2010, 3:15pm
Several recent threads including a current one and several other sets of circumstances have brought me to the point where I must change a few things going on in my life.

I'm getting old. I can no longer continue on the breakneck pace that I have been on for the last few years. I have COPD and arthritis in my neck and shoulders (not to mention my hands). The arthritis is directly attributable to carving mandolin tops and backs. I find that I have slowed down considerably in the last year or so. Things around the house have been put aside for too long, and now I find that I will have to attend to things that I have let slide in order to be able to work 7 days a week on instruments.

This does not mean that I will quit building mandolins, but I am going to stop taking orders. My 63rd birthday is next month and although I thought I could hold out till 66, it is evident to me that it just won't work. So I will apply for Social Security next month and attempt to get Disability.

I will finish the orders that I have and beyond that I will build mandolins and guitars and put them on consignment. Life is too short to be under the gun seven days a week. I will likely only build a couple of mandolins per year. Guitars are a bit easier on my neck.

It has become clear to me that it is getting harder and harder to take orders for custom instruments and players are becoming increasingly wary of ordering an instrument to be built. That, combined with the invasion of Pac Rim instruments has made things worse. This latest thread has not been a boon to custom hand builders. You all will note that nary a builder will add comments to the ongoing conversation. The damage has been done to us all and I would guess that some builders will drop out of full time building. Even builders with stellar reputations are going to be affected.

Let me assure you all that I have not lost my desire to build instruments , only that I cannot continue to build them at such a pace as in the past. My desire is to build them at my own pace and not hurt myself further.
I would like to thank all of you that have been friends, customers, Cafe members, and I will cherish all the good times we've all had together and most importantly, will still have.
I will remain the good humored curmudgeon to you all.

Thank you my friends,

Hans.

Skip Kelley
Jan-21-2010, 3:22pm
Hans, You will certainly be in my prayers. I hope those things don't hold you back from doing what you enjoy. I spent almost a whole day carving a back this week and my neck and shoulders hurt the next day like never before. This type of work isn't completely easy on the body! Thanks for all your wisdom and humor you have provided here and I look forward to many more years of the same! God bless!

catmandu2
Jan-21-2010, 3:25pm
Hans, if the adjacent thread has prompted you to pay more attention to your health, then that thread has been of at least some benefit!

sunburst
Jan-21-2010, 3:25pm
I know you've been considering a move like for a while, Hans, and all I really have to say is good luck and even...congratulations!
Why not have some time for yourself(?) after all, you deserve it!

Tom C
Jan-21-2010, 3:26pm
Now you did it.. .I can't afford 25K for a brentrup :)
Sorry to hear that health issues are preventing you from doing something you really enjoy.

JEStanek
Jan-21-2010, 3:33pm
Hans, I sincerely appreciate all you bring to the forum and wish you health and happiness.

Jamie

journeybear
Jan-21-2010, 3:33pm
Hans -

Sorry to hear it's come to this for you. I don't expect to be in the market for a custom build in the foreseeable future, but I have literally seen nothing but positive comments about your work. I've also enjoyed your wry humor in many a post, and look forward to more in the future. ;)

Best of luck in this new chapter in the book of your life.

Chuck Naill
Jan-21-2010, 3:35pm
Hans,

I think you have a good plan. However, you have been blessed to be in such demand. I have a lot of respect for your posts and wisdom here.

Kirk Albrecht
Jan-21-2010, 3:39pm
Hans -

The craft of lutherie is losing a wonderful asset, or at least having it diminished, Hans. Your work speaks for itself, and we all appreciate what you have brought to this forum. Your eye candy alone has made me smile many times! :)

I wish you all the best, and hope that at the pace you are able, you can continue to bless the mandolin world with your creations.

red7flag
Jan-21-2010, 3:40pm
Hans, You are a class act. I both enjoy you as a person and your lovely instruments. I remember being in your booth at IBMA entranced by a H5 mandola to the point of not even paying attention to a lovely female also gracing your booth. That says a lot for that instrument. I wish you the best.

man dough nollij
Hans,

I always enjoy your posts here on the Cafe, and I have the highest respect for you as a builder. I disagree with you about the recent thread about a fellow builder with plummeting reputation. I thought about posting there regarding the Brentrups and Mowrys and Bussmanns of the world-- I have literally never heard of anyone having a problem with the builders who post on the Cafe (except that one...). I do see some positive role for that thread, but it gave me a sick feeling to think of participating in it. I can see how the tight economy will put a dent in orders for a while, but I can't see how the poor business dealings of one luthier can affect the whole market.

Sorry to hear that your health is limiting you from doing what you want to do. It's no fun to work all day in pain, though, and I admire you for taking care of yourself.

Lee

hank
As a player with disability I understand completely Hans. If I play too often or with less than perfect posture my hands and fingers go numb in combination with neck muscle spasms. Take care of yourself and hang in there. Posters like yourself are the reason I find the Cafe' such a pleasant retreat. A great place that I can go to and talk/listen & visit with interesting people that often find the same things interesting that I do.

Bill James
Jan-21-2010, 3:45pm
Hans thats all well and good but, you didn't mention anything about going fishing again. :(

Rolfe
Jan-21-2010, 3:50pm
Hey Hans,
As one older (70), but not wiser than you, I second your observations, motivations, and new approach to life. My arthritis has contributed to spinal stenosis, which is on watch for eventual surgery, so the long work hours seven days a week are a thing of the past. The "Golden Age of Luthiery" is definitely over, and the economy may be stressed for some time to come. So, why fight it? I'll service and repair what I've built, build at my whim for my own pleasure, tie some nifty new fly patterns and go fishing. My Trout Unlimited Lifetime Membership Card says "Expires in 2050," so I've got plenty of time to fish and to build what I enjoy.

SternART
Jan-21-2010, 3:50pm
In life, everything is always changing.......so stop to smell the flowers, and enjoy the trip......
Best wishes to you Hans......

BradKlein
Jan-21-2010, 4:05pm
I'll add my voice to thank you for the many fine posts in the past, and I'm looking forward to more. It sounds like you're making thoughtful choices. Best wishes.

Mark Walker
Jan-21-2010, 4:09pm
Hans - ditto what most everyone else is saying. A reduction in new custom-built Brentrup mandolins is a loss to the mandolin community, but we wish you the best as you take life at a pace you can truly enjoy!

I WILL walk across the ice on that Great Lake in between us (or more likely fly over or drive around) and pay you a visit someday in the not-too-distant future!

All the best, always! :)

frankenstein
Jan-21-2010, 4:13pm
Hans, kick back and smell the thorns, good luck to you.

Flowerpot
Jan-21-2010, 4:32pm
Hans, I wish you the very best. You have worked so hard to raise the bar, and have achieved so much in not only craftsmanship but also innovation, that you certainly deserve to be able to take things at your own pace.

Your work certainly speaks for itself -- and has become a big part of how I can express myself through my music. Thanks again.

Mandolin Mick
Jan-21-2010, 4:58pm
God bless you, hope you find happiness in all future endeavors ...

BlueMt.
Jan-21-2010, 5:39pm
Hans, We're about the same age and have similar health issues so I understand. I wish you all the best.

mandopete
Jan-21-2010, 6:05pm
Hans - you have always been one the classiest builders here on Mandolin Cafe and I have always enjoyed your comments.

I am so sorry that I never got to meet you in person at Wintergrass. Hopefully you will make it out here some time in the future.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do!

LKN2MYIS
Jan-21-2010, 6:06pm
Hans -

I hope that your future holds pain free, joyous, appreciative days.

You have my sincerest thanks to all I have learned from you on this Cafe. Your posts - in both sincerity, warmth, knowledge, and humor - have been a wonderful thing for me to experience. Again, thank you.

And thank you for making the world a better sounding place by the creation of such magnificent instruments. Your contribution on many levels is appreciated.

I hope that you will continue to take part in our family here. You are an important part of it.

jim_n_virginia
Jan-21-2010, 6:22pm
Hey Hans every think of taking on an Appentice or two? You could kinda stand over him or her and guide them as opposed to having to do all the work yourself. You have a LOT of knowledge to share if you wanted.

A lot of the old violin masters sometimes had several apprentices working in a shop for them Just an idea.

Also maybe there won't be much or as much of a loss of income because if you build less mandolins the ones that are left will become more valuable!

And also I want to say I have worked in the past with military vets getting SSI and dealing with SS can be a pain! Remember they almost always turn you down the first two times. Appeal it don't refile. Ask to go in front of the judge and explain your situation.

I hope things get better for you Hans. Good luck man! :mandosmiley:

goldtopper
Jan-21-2010, 6:36pm
Hey Hans,
You and I talked years back about making me one of your customers- I couldn't afford it, but you did scoop a fretboard extension for me on my Summit.
Anyhow-
My 80 yr old Dad has similar issues to yours and depends on help from friends from time to time. I can't help him often as I live in St. Paul and he lives in Phoenix.
I like to pay things forward, so.......
If I can help you with things you can't used to do, PM me. I'd be glad to give you any help you need. I remember where you live and am there for you.
Jay

Big Joe
Jan-21-2010, 6:41pm
Hans... I consider you a good friend and I appreciate YOU as well as what you do. I can fully understand the ravages time takes on our bodies. I certainly am not immune to that. I wish you well and if I can be of any help at any time with anything just let me know. Especially fishing! One of the things I miss most about Minnesota is the fishing. It's not bad in Tennessee, but nothing like Minnesota.

God bless you and don't be a stranger on the cafe or any other way my friend!

billkilpatrick
Jan-21-2010, 6:58pm
tante auguri pensionato! - time to write that book!

Chris Biorkman
Jan-21-2010, 7:03pm
Sorry to hear this, but I wish you the best and your decision is totally understandable. I hope you stick around here. Best of luck to you in the future.

amowry
Jan-21-2010, 7:03pm
Good for you, Hans!

Lee Callicutt
Jan-21-2010, 7:07pm
I entirely understand your decision, Hans. Although I do not build instruments for a living, I have great admiration for those who do, and I say that having earned my living all my life with my eyes,hands, neck, back shoulders, etc., and I can well testify that physical craftsmanship does indeed take its toll upon one's body.

I say take care of your body and take pleasure in what you choose to build.

woodwizard
Jan-21-2010, 8:24pm
Best of luck to you Hans. Enjoy life and be well.

David Rambo
Jan-21-2010, 8:28pm
As a person with some handicaps, I understand what you're going through. I'd like to say thanks for all you'e done for the cafe and the mandolin community. And as one who has fought with social security, I found out that there are different rules for disability at 60, and then at 62, than there are when you are younger than 60. When I applied at 56 I was rejected 2X, but when I was 62, I was accepted the 1st time. They decided that I'd been disabled for 12 months, already, and I was given a year of back SS payments. Remember that disability pays more than straight SS, so fight for it.
Again, my best wishes in retirement.

Ben Milne
Jan-21-2010, 8:36pm
It would be frustrating to have to deal with a condition which affects something you love doing so much.
Being able to manage these things in your own way I'm sure will prove to be an advantage for you.
Good luck with the change of approach in your business Hans.

Randy Smith
Jan-21-2010, 8:36pm
Hans,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. All of the messages this afternoon and evening show how highly your regarded here, so please take care. We want to read your posts and see your pics on the Cafe for a long time. Just enjoy that MN snow gathering on your sidewalk awhile.

George R. Lane
Jan-21-2010, 8:47pm
Mr. Brentrup,
It is indeed a sad day for all of the mandolin community, but do what is best for you and your family.
I came to your home little over a year ago, the Montana guy. You were a complete gentleman, gave me a tour of your shop and allowed me to play several of your lovely instruments. I did contact you last year about ordering one of your instruments, but finances got the better of me. I will regret this for the rest of my life.
I hope that you and your wife will be able to spend more time together.
All the best to you.

Spruce
Jan-21-2010, 8:49pm
Best of luck, Hans....

I know how you feel.... ;)

Charles E.
Jan-21-2010, 9:05pm
Hans, you have contributed so much to the mandolin community, but you need to do whats best for you. I have a feeling when the pressure is off from filling orders and you can get some time to wind down you will come up with some more beautiful concepts.
Best of luck to you!

Charley

D C Blood
Jan-21-2010, 9:08pm
Add my best wishes to all the rest, Hans...As just a regular picker a couple of years older than you, I know how badly my COPD and touch of Parkinson's Disease affect my pickin' and my life, I surely understand. Hope we still hear from you on the Cafe.:(

MikeEdgerton
Jan-21-2010, 10:02pm
My dream of owning Brentrup snake may never be realized. If only my wife hadn't needed the new car when I had the chance. Best of Luck Hans, you're a class act.

Eric Hanson
Jan-21-2010, 11:27pm
Hans,
May the time you share with your wife be what brings you the greatest pleasure. Very few of us can find a mate that supports us in our interests. It sounds like yours has supported you greatly and continues to have great love for you.
As you get your orders completed and wind down to an agreeable pace, please visit often and share your wealth of knowledge and wit. I have always enjoyed your entries.
Also, my hopes are only positive in your quest to gain what you deserve for your years of hard work.
May your pain be minimal and your joys be great!

JFDilmando
Jan-21-2010, 11:57pm
This has been an awful day for the Mandolin Community, in my humble opinion. The terrible, damaging, Custom order thing... and now knowing that fewer mandolins will be coming from you....

We have never met... I almost feel, like so many others, that I know you, from these forums, and from your mandolins... they are, and will be so special, long after all of us are gone.

I commend you for all you have produced to this point, all those that you will produce, from this point on, and more importantly, for the wisdom, and fortitude to know your path, and to follow it as it drifts a little away from creating these noise makers.... (in my hands)

Lots of best wishes to you, and your family... PLEASE don't disappear from our lives though...

Just this last week, I have used your "torch and wire" inlay as inspiration of a design of my own... thanks again, for so much inspiration.

John D

Geoff B
Jan-22-2010, 12:04am
Good luck, Hans! I'd like to shake your hand someday. Don't be a stranger, your presence on the Cafe is huge in my experience. Thanks!
-Geoff

Mike Snyder
Jan-22-2010, 12:28am
Huge x1

Michael Lewis
Jan-22-2010, 2:40am
As we age our bodies sort of guide us to change our habits. I only work 6 days a week now, and usually only 7 hrs per day, sometimes less! I get a short nap after lunch! You will enjoy less pressure, I know I do. Maybe now you folks will find time to come to Grass Valley again, you just never know what opportunities will turn up.

I'll add to the pile of good wishes, congratulations, accolades, and appreciation of your presence here. And thank you.:mandosmiley:~o)

peter.coombe
Jan-22-2010, 3:53am
All the best to you Hans. I have enjoyed your many contributions to the Cafe and often find myself agreeing with you. I also have been reading the adjacent post with some trepitation, but dare not add to the misunderstandings, and it is plain there is plenty of that! Long may your contributions to this forum continue, you have made many thoughtful posts. The stress of a long waiting list is something that we can all do without, although it does guarantee an income into the future. Enjoy your life.

I am a bit younger than you, and still healthy (although the eyesight is not improving), but have recently quit the real job, and moved closer to the coast into a new workshop and house, so now am full time. I'm looking foreward to not working 2 jobs, and being able to supply customers with instruments much sooner! Thanks to the financial situation, the waiting list has almost gone, so the stress levels are now much lower, and that has to be good. I have a pension from the real job and received a golden handshake, so if the mandolin maket collapses we won't starve. Added to that the fishing spots are now close by, so life is pretty good.

frankenstein
Jan-22-2010, 4:47am
Hans, I just remembered that when i asked Mike Blohm to build my mandolin for me we traded emails and such. He was willing to build it for me but explained how his life had other priorities at that time. I said O.K. that's fine with me, it took a while but every now and then he would send info and pics. Communication is the key. He built me an exceptional 3 point f-5, i love it. but i digress as in discussions with him i asked which builder does he admire, Brentrup he replied. cheers, Slick.. Where's the beer icon ?

mandolirius
Jan-22-2010, 5:01am
Hi Hans, wannabee customer here. I think you're making a wise decision - I'm sure it will help. Glad there will still be some new Brentups availabe. And, like others, I consider you a valuable member of this forum and hope you'll stick around.

Ivan Kelsall
Jan-22-2010, 5:03am
Ultimately - the thing that defines what & how much we can do,is our health.Without that we're sunk. It takes a brave & intelligent person to realise that the end point has (almost) been reached & that to safeguard their remaining health,they must slow down or indeed stop.
This photo.from Hans' website has long been my PC 'background'. They are without a doubt two of the most beautiful instruments i've ever seen & possibly ever will see - the "F" style is to die for !. Anybody who owns an instrument by Hans,is truly fortunate.
Good luck & good health for the future Hans,you've done your part for us,now do it for yourself & those dear to you,
Ivan ;)

grassrootphilosopher
Jan-22-2010, 5:15am
Hans,

your decision is yours and does not need a "statement of defense". It´s your life and I wish you all the best. May your path be light and may your health not hinder you to enjoy each and every day.

As a luthier (and photographer) you have the admiration of this community. Never have I read any post here (or elsewhere) that was in the least critical of your work, work ethics, person and other. That surely speaks for itself.

I´d like to take the liberty to rebut your opinion concerning that feelings expressed in recent threads will affect the mandolin market. I think that builders like Randy Wood for example have stood the test of time and will not be affected by negative "propaganda". I´d like to extend this claim to you taking as an argument the aforementioned unanimous respect that your work has.

On the other hand the economy has slowed down, instrument sales have declined, the competition gets more difficult so from an economical standpoint I cannot disagree.

By the way, I excedingly like the F5C on the classifieds, I was stunned by the A4 that you had on the classifieds, Ken Olmsteads mando (and your inventive aproach to other designs) has my deep respect...

Don´t drift away from the scene, okay?

Bertram Henze
Jan-22-2010, 5:19am
"don't wanna go like a fading chorus" (Albert Hammond) - makes me think of what it will be like when I reach that point. On the other hand, there are always adjustments to be made, that's nature's way of preventing boredom; our's is to always have a plan for that next leg of the journey, and it's good to see you have one, Hans. Staying interested like a child is the way to go. Keep telling us how it feels.

pickloser
Jan-22-2010, 7:50am
I have enjoyed reading your posts and seeing pictures of your work. Thank you. I hope you continue to post your thoughts and opinions and, especially, pictures of whatever you choose to produce.

I wish you happiness and the best possible health.

Hans
Jan-22-2010, 10:42am
Thank you all for the kind words, folks! I feel blessed and honored for so many well wishers and friends. Rest assured that I will continue to provide any help that I feel is of aid to folks with problems with their instruments and attempts at my own kind of humor on this forum.
Since instrument building is in my blood, I am sure that I will be building mandolins and guitars till I step out of the canoe. After I finish my list I will just build them at my own pace.
My neck and shoulder problem has been bothering me for some time now, but recently it has gotten worse and I spend a lot of time in the evenings with a heating pad on my neck. I have been told that part of the problem is tendonitis, but I have some severe damage to my spine at the neck. However, this will not affect my determination to build some more A5C's and F5C's. I am hoping that a slow down will relieve some of the pain, strain, and stress.
Maybe I will even be able to take a real vacation...one that doesn't involve standing behind a table of mandolins for a week!
Anyway, thanks for the support, and not to worry, I'll be around...:)

swinginmandolins
Jan-22-2010, 11:04am
Hans,
I hope that you find joy and happiness, just as I'm sure your instruments have and will filled peoples lives. I've never played one of your instruments, but just by your reputation I hope to at least play one, if not own one someday.

Links
Jan-22-2010, 11:15am
Hans:

Your instruments are fabulous - but - that has nothing to do with the wonderful "character" traits that you have displayed over the years on this forum and in your dealings with your friends, clients, and total strangers. Honesty, integrity, loyalty, etc., are far more important than the quality of instrument you build - you just happened to have been blessed with both! Most of us have never met you - yet we know you - and we like what see!

Best Wishes!

Elliot Luber
Jan-22-2010, 11:23am
Hans,

Thank you for making such beautiful instruments. They are appreciated, and will be continue to be for many, many years to come.

Tony Sz
Jan-22-2010, 11:51am
I just have to say that I've never met a Brentrup that I didn't like, instrument or person. Best wishes going forward to you and Maureen.

trevor
Jan-22-2010, 3:36pm
Hans,
Take care of yourself. Without your health nothing else matters. I have had the privilege of having some of your outstanding work in my store and a keeper at home. I would love to see my ordered black top Eclipse v3 sometime but not at the expense of your continued health and comfort. Take the very best care of yourself.

sgarrity
Jan-22-2010, 5:31pm
Hans--

You make a mighty fine mandolin. I hate to hear that you're going into semi-retirement but you have to do what's right for your health and your family. I wish you all the best!

Bill Van Liere
Jan-22-2010, 9:12pm
Thanks for the mandolin Hans.

It is wonderful and I fully know why.

Take care

Your friend

Larry S Sherman
Jan-22-2010, 10:13pm
Hans...thank you for introducing such innovative designs alongside the traditional. I hope to own one of your mandolins one day. I think that you are a genius.

Larry

Dave Cohen
Jan-22-2010, 10:54pm
Hans:

Just now saw this thread. Might you and Maureen consider doing a little traveling? Maybe a visit to (relatively) warm central Virginia? The invitation is open.

I just hit 65 earlier this month. Had to convert from the State of VA health plan to Medicare (and Medigap), which entailed a visit to the local Social Security office to enroll. The receptionist was friendly, but the guy in back had absolutely NO sense of humor - all business and nothin' but. I got through it. So will you.

Dave

http://www.Cohenmando.com

barry k
Jan-23-2010, 12:55am
Good luck and good fortune to you Hans. I have never met you in person, but if in your travels , you find yourself in the Savannah Georgia area, give a holla. I can relate to your Arthritis problem, My whole spine is ate up with it, thats what got me discharged from the miltary 2 years ago. I also had a tussle with SS, but finally success, but had to get my congressman involved.
My program now is work 15-20 minutes, rest an hour, work 15-20 minutes rest an hour all day long, that the only way to give my back relief. Also I have that spinal stimulator installed , that was a Godsend in itself for relief of pain.....Keep your head down and your gun powder dry......

Keith Newell
Jan-23-2010, 1:28am
Good luck on the decision Hans. I am 11 years behind you and hope when I have reached that stage I can either continue because of health reasons or be in a position to slow down because of financial reasons (probably not). I think you are a such a well respected member of the cafe that if you were not around to provide input I would really miss it.
Keith Newell

tree
Jan-23-2010, 8:25am
Hans,

If you ever fancy fly fishing in the mountains of western NC, PM me. There are places that I love there that will refresh your soul, whether the fish cooperate or not. Your choice to cut back seems a wise one to me and I'm sure it will pay off for you, both physically and mentally. Congratulations!

tburcham
Jan-23-2010, 10:54am
Hans,
I wish you all the best as you "slow down" a little and operate at a pace that's commensurate with your well being. You're a wonderful luthier and you have pushed the envelope of mandolin art & design...well done!

P Josey
Jan-23-2010, 11:30am
Hans,
I don't think you can stop. A months rest and a visit or two to the chiropracter and you'll be right back at it :)

All the best.

Jim
Jan-23-2010, 4:56pm
Hans, I always enjoy reading your posts and hope one day to play one of your instruments. Take it easy, pace yourself and please continue to share your wealth of knowledge here on the cafe.

craigw
Jan-23-2010, 5:39pm
Hans, the collective comments rendered thus far attest to the love and respect you have from this community. And since you're now thinking about having a real vacation I'll echo Micheal Lewis and encourage you and Maureen to come out for the Grass Valley fest this June. My best to you both.

pops1
Jan-23-2010, 6:38pm
Hans, Was playing one of your 21V's just today and wishing i could afford to commission a mandolin from you as the 21 is just so wonderful. I am also close to you in age and have some of the same ailments. Have spoke to you on the phone and keep telling myself that i would like to meet you as i am not that far away. I have enjoyed watching the wonderful mandolins you make come up for sale and wonder why would anyone sell something so special. We all do what we must and taking care of yourself is the most important thing. Take care, God bless

hank
Jan-23-2010, 7:53pm
Hans, I live in the river valley between the Arkansas Ozarks and the Ouachita Mountains. I became disabled after multiple surgeries on my neck and lower back from injury simular to your own. My wife and I decided to move to Arkansas after being flooded in south Louisiana with hurricane Katrina. We feel like we are in paradise and absolutely love it here. Beautiful State parks with terrain reminiscent of Middle Earth from Tolkiens Lord Of The Rings are a wonderful place to camp and hike. We would love to have you come stay with us and do some camping and hiking. My guess is that there are many more from the Cafe' that feel the same and could keep you and your wife busy in a great extended vacation road trip.

jasona
Jan-23-2010, 9:41pm
Hans,

Please take care of yourself, and build at the rate that will keep you pain free. You know how to get the tone like few can, and I really desire a PML. Perhaps by the time you get around to building mine, I will be able to play well enough to deserve it ;)

Remember, few say to themselves "boy, I wish I had put off all of life's delights to work a little more".

Cheers, Jason

Sola
Jan-23-2010, 9:47pm
Hans,

I may be new around here, but time and again your posts have been just what the doctor ordered... whether sage building advice, a helpful observation, or a dose of wry humor.

Thanks for making this a great place.

Best wishes,
Jack Buckley

Gavin Baird
Jan-23-2010, 9:58pm
Hans,
While you andI have never been touch, one on one, I have always enjoyed reading your information on the Cafe. I understand exactly what you are going through with the shoulder and neck problem. I have the same problem. I guess the difference between you and I is that I am just this month getting ready to turn 75. That is the reason I did what you are doing some 6 years ago. The lack of the stress of meeting deadlines has been a great relief to me and I am certain you will find the same with your decision.
I wish you all the best in the years to come and enjoy the work that you do so well.....Gavin

Hans
Jan-24-2010, 8:30am
Thanks again for the support and kindness folks! I can't tell you how difficult it has been coming to face the reality of having to slow down. I was told by doctors to quit building a couple of years ago, but at the time the pain was minimal, and well, (ain't we all foolish animals) I just ignored it and kept building at a breakneck speed.
I thank you all for the invites! Sometimes Maureen and I think we should just pack it all up, buy a VW camper, and tour the country. But I fear we are just getting too old to ride the roads for long periods of time too.
Fact of the matter is that I just cannot stop building. You builders know. It's just in you. So, I will do what I can, stop and rest when I need to, and try to turn out fewer, better instruments.
Reading back through the posts and mail I have received, I wish I could visit each and every one of you, fish, talk instruments, but can't see that's possible right now. Maybe in the future...
To those that own one (or more) of my instruments, it was my pleasure to build it for you. To those on my list, they are coming. Those wishing for one, all I can say is I'll still build a few...
Be well, my friends.:)

robert.najlis
Mar-18-2010, 6:04pm
I have replied to a few other people on the site about some alternative remedies. I know I run the risk of sounding annoying, but I take that risk I guess, because from my experience I know there are things that can really help. For COPD and arthritis, for example, acupuncture has been know to help (no guarantees of course, but lots of good examples). I have a link to an article on COPD and acupuncture which I can dig up for you if you are interested. I also have a free website where you can ask about these kinds of things Coincidentally I will be near Minneapolis this weekend (in the suburbs), so if you want to talk I am happy to do so. Like most everyone else on the MandolinCafe, I appreciate what you and the other great builders are doing, and while I can't afford one of your mandolins, I sure would like to help you keep building. Not too much financial interest here, yes there is my website, but that is free (kind of the mandolin cafe of health care).

clarksavage
Mar-18-2010, 6:43pm
Well said, Hans. You make many important points. I take courage from your decision (for my own someday soon, but in an entirely different field....)

Clark

MandoNicity
Mar-18-2010, 8:04pm
Allow me to add my wholehearted best wishes as well. Your mandolins are works of art.

JR