PDA

View Full Version : SetUp, Set Up, Set Up!

Rex Hart
Jan-20-2010, 3:57pm
I can not stress how important a good set up by a professional can help the playability and tone of your mandolin. I took my fern to Morgan Music in Missouri and Alvin did wonders with it. I put a set of Bush monels on it and he adjusted the neck and it is out of this world. As Big Joe has been telling us, It's all about the set up!

Mike Snyder
Jan-20-2010, 4:30pm
Alvin is a good man to have on your side. He went to bat for me five years ago on a warranty deal where a BIG company was wanting to go cheap on a replacement mandolin. It came out good for me. His customers obviously mean a great deal to him. I didn't know that he did set ups.
I love those Bush monels.

GVD
Jan-20-2010, 4:39pm
Yep Alvin does first rate set up work. I haven't had him do any on my mandolin yet but he did do a great job on my Bourgeois Vintage D guitar.

Poener
Jan-20-2010, 5:16pm
I think half the battle is finding a set of strings you're happy with and sticking with them. I run into trouble when I change string gauges.

ColdBeerGoCubs
Jan-21-2010, 1:01pm
We could all take a cue from Stevie Ballmer on this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMU0tzLwhbE&feature=related

Clamdigger
Jan-21-2010, 1:39pm
You are certainly right about a good set up. Anyone know of a good setup guy in the southern New England area? Clamdigger

Chuck Naill
Jan-21-2010, 2:33pm
I can not stress how important a good set up by a professional can help the playability and tone of your mandolin. I took my fern to Morgan Music in Missouri and Alvin did wonders with it. I put a set of Bush monels on it and he adjusted the neck and it is out of this world. As Big Joe has been telling us, It's all about the set up!

You point cannot be overstated enough for me. Setup is king, but it does require a good product.

I corrected some bridge issues I was having on the MD504 with a Cumberland Acoustic bridge from Steve Perry. It was fun to fit the bridge, set the action and intonation. :)

Big Joe
Jan-21-2010, 2:42pm
Alvin is a good friend and a great man. You won't find a better person than Alvin! He's one of my hero's :) .

Stephen Perry
Jan-21-2010, 7:24pm
One thing about wooden instruments - they'll change shape over time, and not that much time. When I'd actually keep instruments around for a while, I noticed how the bridge fit, relief and fret level would shift gradually. I tell people that if they complain about how a setup from so and so didn't last or was done badly. Generally I can see that the bridge base was fitted, but now it's bearing here or there a little hard. Just the nature of wood under compression. I get mandolins in regularly for tuneups and see how some that I fitted the bridges on now have a different top shape, enough to throw things off.

I'm not sure how to accommodate those movements. I'm also tempted to put a slight bevel at the edges of the bridge base to keep the sharp edge from digging in, but I know people think that's a mark of a poor fit, not an attempt to limit varnish damage.

Mandolin Mick
Jan-21-2010, 7:39pm
A good set up makes the difference between a poor playing mandolin and a great mandolin!

Since there's only about 5 & 1/2 mandolinists in Milwaukee at any given time, I don't know how useful this info is ...

My guy is at Rockhaus in Milwaukee. Does a great job with mandolins, guitars basses, you name it. And, if he doesn't think you need work, he's honest and will tell you so.

Canister
Jan-21-2010, 8:15pm
Where is Morgan music located? I'm in North Central Missouri and am always interested in anyone that can do mando work that I can reach.

Mike Snyder
Jan-21-2010, 9:29pm
www.morganmusic.com Lebanon, Mo

R. Kane
Jan-22-2010, 1:04am
Clamdigger
Paul Neri in Clinton CT has done good work for me, and I have recommended him many times to others with good results. Full disclosure, he plays banjo and dobro in our band, and I can't think of anyuone else that I would recommend in the area. He's worked on my Ellis, and he did a setup for a friend's Rover this week for under $50. Paul Neri Lutherie. http://www.manta.com/c/mm0sl6g/neri-lutherie

Jeff Harvey
Jan-22-2010, 2:11am
Can anyone recommend someone in California? I used to have Larry Brown do all of the work on my instruments, but he is gone now and I dont have anyone. I'm in Southern California, specifically in the Orange County area. I take my guitars to The Guitar Shop in Laguna Beach, but they really dont do mandolins. I am willing to send my mando somewhere but have reservations about not being able to play for them so they can see the amount of attack and style I use. Any help?

citycountryguy
Jan-22-2010, 8:47am
And while we're at it--anyone in the DC area that comes recommended?