PDA

View Full Version : Gibson A-5 Master Model

Rick Schmidlin
Jan-20-2010, 1:38pm
Who has played one, whats the scoop??????

Mike Bunting
Jan-20-2010, 1:45pm
What do you mean, by "What's the scope?

Rick Schmidlin
Jan-20-2010, 1:49pm
scope means: does anybody know about this one, I never knew about this release

woof woof

Mike Bunting
Jan-20-2010, 1:58pm
scope 1 |skōp|
noun
the extent of the area or subject matter that something deals with or to which it is relevant : we widened the scope of our investigation | such questions go well beyond the scope of this book. See note at range .
Perhaps you mean "What's the scoop?" in the vernacular.

Rick Schmidlin
Jan-20-2010, 2:03pm
scope 1 |skōp|
noun
the extent of the area or subject matter that something deals with or to which it is relevant : we widened the scope of our investigation | such questions go well beyond the scope of this book. See note at range .
Perhaps you mean "What's the scoop?" in the vernacular.

Corrected prof.:grin:

Mike Bunting
Jan-20-2010, 2:45pm
AKA as the A-5L
http://www.12fret.com/new/Gibson_A-5L_mandolin_pg.html

F-2 Dave
Jan-20-2010, 5:26pm
Would you both stop speaking Canadian so we can all understand you?

Eric F.
Jan-20-2010, 5:32pm
If you mean the current A-5, which is like the old A-5L without some of the bling, I have played exactly one. It was a fine mandolin, but suffered in comparison with the exceptional Doyle Lawson model the store had hanging next to it. The A-5 wasn't as warm and rich sounding. Still, I thought it was the second best sounding instrument in the store, which had a lot of mandolins in stock. Did you just get tired of the Collings? I thought it was your life partner.

JEStanek
Jan-20-2010, 5:41pm
I think this is the same model now going under the part number Gibson A5 (http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/Mandolin/Gibson-Original/A-5/Overview.aspx)rather than A5-L like the one linked to at 12-Fret. This model has long been a part of the Gibson line. Based on the one Loar A5 (Griffith Loar (http://www.mandolinarchive.com/perl/show_mando.pl?51)). They now have the A9 and the Jam Master A both costing less than the A5 or A5-L.

Jamie

woodwizard
Jan-20-2010, 6:11pm
Jamie's right. I bought a brand spanking new A5L in 2002. Not sure what the current A5 has but the A5L had all the bells and whistles. Triple bound through out, gold, beautiful wood, etc. etc. Seems like the current A5 does not have back binding but I may be wrong there. Anyways ... I played a few of them and they were all very nice sounding mandolins. Mine was $2590 new way back then.

JEStanek
Jan-20-2010, 6:37pm
Looks like the Gibson made A5-L had a bound back while the current A5 doesn't...

Rick Schmidlin
Jan-20-2010, 6:47pm
I saw it advertised on Mandolin Brothers site.

Mike Bunting
Jan-20-2010, 7:23pm
Would you both stop speaking Canadian so we can all understand you?
:))

I'm the only Canadian involved, though,

Rick Schmidlin
Jan-20-2010, 7:27pm
And your sooooooooooooo polite:grin:

Mike Bunting
Jan-20-2010, 8:10pm
And your sooooooooooooo polite:grin:
Mais naturellement, je suis canadien, après tous.

Any responses to your ad for the Collings? It's a good deal for someone.

JEStanek
Jan-20-2010, 8:14pm
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~coigach/altimack/dudley.jpg
Play nice, fellas!

Mike Bunting
Jan-20-2010, 8:24pm
Hey, I know that guy!

woodysny
Jan-20-2010, 10:17pm
I used to own a Derrington-signed A5-L. It was a very fine mandolin. One of the best values in a mandolin that you could ever want. As long as you don't want an F model, you will like it a lot. I like F models, that's why I sold it.

Big Joe
Jan-21-2010, 2:56pm
First, they are not modeled after the Loar A5. They were designed to have the same body cavity volume as the Fern and MM. They are excelent mandolins that sound like the F5 without the built in strap holder :) . They are not really a Master Model since they are not varnish or red spruce top, etc. They did not build as many as they did the F models, but they are really good. Many want the F model rather than the A for whatever reason. I would rather have the F but I'm old and set in my ways... on the other hand, I just got a Randy Wood 2 point in that has got my juices flowing!!!

jim_n_virginia
Jan-22-2010, 1:05am
Who has played one, whats the scoop??????

Nice mandolin but it needs a scroll ... :grin: