PDA

View Full Version : Aria AM700

presto120270
Jan-19-2010, 2:09pm
Hello all,

I am new and really do not know alot about finer mandolins. I have a POS that I use right now and am trying to upgfrade. I have found an Aria AM700 for $600. It is in good shape, staight neck and sounds tons better than my POS(gotta start somewhere). I will post pics of the Aria next week. Is this worth it?
Thanks
Preston

Capt. E
Jan-19-2010, 3:59pm
I own a "Shiro" A made in the 70's. I am pretty positive it is one of Aria's other names. I often receive comments as to what a nice sounding mandolin it is, and also how loud it is. It compared favorably to most anything I have tried priced up to 1K and over. Aria has made some rather nice instruments over the years, but 70's Aria and the more recent models such as the AM line are not really comparable. The mandolin you are considering may indeed be worth $600, but there are a lot of good mandolins available for $600 and less (the Kentucky KM-505 being a prime example at under $500).

Here is an extract from a previous thread on Aria:

"Aria currently is only offering lower-range plywood mandolins, apparently. Earlier, they had a full line of mandolins, mainly based on Gibson designs. I found some Aria info at Blue Book Publications: (https://store.bluebookinc.com/InstantAccess/Category.aspx?product=3&id=11)

By the late 1970s, Aria was producing a full line of mandolins based on the popular Gibson A-style and F-style designs. Early series that were only produced in the mid- to late 1970s, include the PM and FM model lines. By the late 1980s, most production of Aria instruments was moved to Korea. In the 1990s and 2000s, some production has shifted to China as well. By 1994, the only mandolin series was the AM Series. Aria offers a full line of acoustic guitars, electric guitars, basses, amplifiers, banjos, and ukuleles. For more information, visit Aria's website or contact Hanser directly (see Trademark Index).

Aria also produced a model called AM500, but very little information is known about it (solid spruce top, select maple back and sides, last MSR $975 in 1991). A mandolin package that included a mandolin (unnamed model), gig-bag, pitch pipe, strap, instruction book, and picks was available during the late 1990s and early 2000s by Aria as well.

Aria instruments are distributed by Hanser Music Group in the US. The Blue Book link gives contact info. Apparently models and prices change frequently, and all mandolins shown in the Aria catalogs may not be in current stock at any given time."

presto120270
Jan-19-2010, 4:46pm
I saw that. I was told this is a early 70s model made in the US. I will get more info next monday when I go back to that store. Currently he has it listed at $800 but told me when I went to take a lesson this Monday he would take 6 for it. I did not consider it until I left the place and started thinking way too much. Like I said I will take some pics and get them up next week.

thanks
Preston

allenhopkins
Jan-19-2010, 4:51pm
I was told this is a early 70s model made in the US.

Don't think any Aria instruments were made in this country. "Aria" was a name based on the name of Japanese luthier Shiro Arai. So "Shiro" instruments were from the same source. I never say "never," but every Aria instrument I've seen is Asian-made.

Capt. E
Jan-19-2010, 5:03pm
Nothing by Aria was ever made in the USA. Of that I am absolutely positive. If the dealer is telling you USA, he is mistaken.

That little detail alone would cause me to stay away from the deal unless you "know" more than he does. Do some research, have the instrument looked at by a luthier if possible, then make your decision.

presto120270
Jan-19-2010, 5:22pm
Ok See how much I know. I am new to the mandolin. Been playing 9 months now. Sorry, I kinda asumed some info there when it said they moved to Korea. Learn a lesson on that one.

Thanks keep me honest please because my mistakes, while irratating will be honest as well. LMAO

:))

I truly mispoke saying what I said.

Capt. E
Jan-20-2010, 9:53am
Good luck to you in your mandolin hunt. So many choices can be confusing etc. Find a trustworthy, knowledgeable dealer and let him guide you. Not sure where you are living, but here in Austin I am lucky to have Fiddlers Green. The dealers who are shown here on the Cafe all have many happy customers. It would be best if you can visit a dealer who has a wide selection of instruments in stock. A place where you can sit and try out a variety of mandolins and get good advice. You should be able to find a great up-grade that fits your budget. Also keep an eye out here on the Cafe's classifeds. Honest, helpful people there as well and many a great deal.

presto120270
Jan-20-2010, 7:46pm
The odd thig is I am in Greeneville TN close to East Tennessee State University, only college with a major in blue grass or so they claim and the mandolin pickins is slim in the stores but theyare all dealers but do not keep them in stock. Just south of wheree I live is a place that has a large selection but will not work with extended payments because of my budget, but I look at MKs, MMs, and Webers there. Oh well it will happen at some point. I wnat to learn, get a better instrument and have some fun. It will happen, and when my fingers say yes you can play a F cord it will happen LOL

presto120270
Jan-25-2010, 3:49pm
OK more info.
Label inside mandolin says made in Japan but has no serial number. it is blank on the label , just says AM700.

DerTiefster
Jan-25-2010, 10:08pm
Let your ears and fingers be your guide. From my understanding, the Japanese '70s mandos included solid-topped items and the Aria AM700 is (I -believe-) one of them. Check the back for whether it's plywood if you're curious. The top grain should show through and match inside/outside for a solid top. But listen to it.

At $600 you have many options. Aria's finer '70s mandos can be found offered at high prices, but I've not listened to them. The "Rover RM-75" gets good press and one is in the classifieds now. The Eastman 515/615 are also well spoken of. I happen to have a '70s Japanese mandolin that I"m fond of -- solid top, plywood back.

If it feels good in your hands and you can't find a better bang/$ ratio anywhere, grab it.

brunello97
Jan-25-2010, 10:50pm
I had a 70s Aria M-700 mandolin for years and years. No 'A' in the model number. Or 'The' in the 'Aria'. It appeared perhaps a bit older than yours with a different, simpler label. I can't recall the serial number but remember finding something that lead me to believe it was from '77 or '78. Made in Japan. I traded a short scale Gibson EB0 bass for it when I was just a pup after seeing the Quintet '80 band. Yours looks like much prettier wood, though much the same profile, details etc. I can't tell from your photo--is it a carved scroll or flat?

Mine never had much in the way of volume, but it was solid, played easily-the neck was awesome-gave me no trouble whatsoever. I sold it a few years back, took the money and bought a Martin A. Never looked back. (That the old bass went for the Martin is a nice thought.) If yours has decent tone and volume, my hunch is that it is a solid instrument, likely to gain in interest if not $$ value. But folks are right $600 es mucho dinero.

Mick

presto120270
Jan-26-2010, 2:06am
Thanks, am going to move on and search for a while. It hs beren at his shop a bit. Ican look around and if it is still there when the timing is right, who knows it might be mine.

Thanks again