PDA

View Full Version : Brasileirinho - choro documentary film (on LINK TV)

mandocrucian
Jan-18-2010, 7:55pm
FYI, if you haven't seen this one before: (includes somes bandolim playing)

Brasileirinho

Airdates:
Wednesday, January 20th 01:00 pm EST
Thursday, January 21st 07:00 am EST
LINK TV (DIRECTV Channel 375 | DISH Network Channel 9410)

Category: Documentaries
Regions: South America
Topics: Music / Art / Culture
Brasileirinho is a musical documentary film directed by Mika Kaurismäki about Choro, the first genuinely Brazilian urban music. It was back in the late 19th century in Rio de Janeiro when Brazilian musicians started to blend European melodies, Afro-Brazilian rhythms and the melancholic interpretation of the Brazilian Indians' music to create Choro. Choro is credited as being the first musical expression of Brazil's melting pot and had a prominent place in the development of Brazil's cultural identity. Choro remained a major popular music style until the 1920s, leading directly into Samba and later to Bossa Nova. After a slight decline in popularity, Choro music has made a remarkable comeback over the past few decades.

The film remembers the history but shows, above all, a colorful picture of Choro's vitality today. The guiding line of the film is the combo "Trio Madeira Brasil" composed of three of Brazil's outstanding Choro musicians. During a "Roda de Choro", a traditional Brazilian kind of private jam session, the Trio brings up a concert project. During these sessions or at their homes, some of the most interesting Choro musicians play and remember key events in the history of this Brazilian urban music. A look into a Choro workshop with over 450 participants of all ages illustrates the off-hand genuine Brazilian way to play. "Playing" interviews with well-known Samba and Bossa Nova artists like Zezé Gonzaga, Elza Soares and Guinga illustrate the reciprocal inspiration with Samba and Bossa Nova music. A final show of the "Trio Madeira Brasil" with their guests in one of Rio's traditional music halls show once more the opulence of rhythms and melodies in Choro that has evolved over the past 130 years into a fascinating form of modern tropical sound.

LEARN MORE:
Visit the Brasileirinho (http://www.brasileirinhothefilm.com/) homepage

http://www.linktv.org/programs/brasilerinho

NH

groveland
Jan-19-2010, 11:35pm
Yes! I recorded this a few days ago and just got to see it tonight - It's a keeper. What a breathtaking rich musical heritage down there... It it's all so natural. Lots and lots of pandeiro shots - I'll be watching those closely for a long time. Did I see Hamilton de Holanda on the ferry in the National Choro Day jam? Now those are some jam sessions there. Great documentary. Thanks for posting. Go and see.

And they say there's no good TV... :)

Doug Hoople
Jan-21-2010, 12:26am
Yes, highly recommended. I own this on DVD and pull it out every few months for a refresher.

Hamilton's there (not prominently enough, but he's there), along with Ronaldo do Bandolim and Joel Nascimento.

I must say that the personal portrait of Joel is really engaging, but they could have picked a better musical number. In this, he sounds a bit tentative, like he's reading the piece for the first time. I've seen him play live, and he's one of the great masters, so this is not particularly representative.

My favorite segment is the non-mando piece on clarinetist Paulo Moura. His gafieira club appearance is right out of an idealized cinematic fantasy of Rio de Janeiro, and he just tears it up with his Brazilian swing.

Also, Yamandu Costa's solo 7-string 'Brejeiro.' This is the same segment that Mike brought to the Symposium a couple of years back, and is the first that many of us saw of this legendary guitarist. Still a knockout.

Jim Garber
Dec-08-2010, 2:47pm
I rented this on Netflix and even after the first 20 minutes, for some odd reason, I had tears in my eyes. Maybe it was Ronaldo's mom singing or the genuine emotion of these musicians. Highly recommended. I will prob buy the DVD before it is no longer available.

Jim Garber
Dec-09-2010, 2:24pm
I watch only a little bit at lunchtime. That Yamandu Costa solo is incredible -- that guy is an amazing player. I also like the segment with the three pandeirists. The whole film has a great way of giving you a sort of reverse engineered way of looking at the parts that make up the music. I did order it from Amazon. For under $20 if figure i will watch it a few times, if only to see people's fingers.

I also had a thought that the bandolim is the most difficult part to leanr in this music and that maybe I should play another instrument but i think every instrument is subtly difficult.

Jim Garber
Dec-09-2010, 10:20pm
Here is that segment with Yamandu Costa playing Brejeiro.

hWSxLe_CnnE