PDA

View Full Version : Help needed

stargazer
Jan-13-2010, 10:18pm
Hello, I am Jim and new in here and was wondering if any of you would be so kind to help me out. I am now the proud owner of my grandfathers 12 string bowl mandolin and black case. I have no knowledge of and can not play the mandolin sorry to say. I have been trying to find more information like the maker, age and value of this mandolin. My grandfather passed in 1970 at the age of 78, plus I have a picture of him with this mandolin and he looks to be in his late teens or very early 20's so with this to go on I am placing it to be around 1910-1915 perhaps. Also he was from the WNY area if that might be of any help. Any and all info would be greatly appreicated. I have not been able to find anything close to this at all so I am on square one. I see no markings on it what so ever, no paper label, no numbers, etc. I have included some pictures and can offer more if needed. Thank you much, Jim

MikeEdgerton
Jan-13-2010, 10:34pm
There are already answers to your other post on the same subject.

bigbike
Jan-27-2010, 2:59am
You are lucky to have such a beautiful instrument. Why not take up playing? Instruments not being used are artwork-not what they were intended for. It needs to be played and appreciated.

stargazer
Jan-31-2010, 1:19am
Thanks, yes it is a beauty for sure.

Well it has 9 more strings than 3 so what's that make it then?

I wish I could learn to play it, but I had a hand injury many years ago that left my first 3 fingers on my left hand with limited movement and no feeling so this will never happen. Perhaps some day someone will learn to play and really enjoy it.

bigbike
Feb-02-2010, 1:43am
Well Stargazer:

I am sorry that you can not play it left handed, but what about right handed:)

Seriously, reverse the stringing, and use your 3 fingered left hand to hold the pick. OR if you have children, nieces, nef., pass it on to them to play. I would only consider selling it as a LAST option as in no one in the family wanted that heirloom. They have a beautiful tone, and I am sure that your dad (grandfather was it?) would be proud to have someone in the family play it again.