PDA

View Full Version : genesis- jorma

ira
Sep-09-2004, 9:43am
thinking about doing genesis (off the album quah). anyone do this one? tab? alternative tab for the chordically challenged?http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif such a great tune.

ira
Sep-14-2004, 9:29pm
still nada on genesis. i was sure some old tuna fans would chime in. oh well, i'll keep tryin to pick it out, but hard to figure it.

PlayerOf8
Sep-15-2004, 6:01am
ira,
why don't you e-mail Jorma at the Fur Peace Ranch and ask him for the chord changes? I'm sure that he would be delighted to help you.

George

Tom C
Sep-15-2004, 7:42am
I will call Barry Mitterhoff today and get chord changes. If you have a fast internet connection I can email you .wav of them playing it over the weekend.
Off hand I believe Barry keeps a low profile on that tune and just tastefully plays
single notes rather than chords through out the tune.

ira
Sep-15-2004, 8:02am
i love this board!!!! hank you guys sooooooooooooooooooo much. i am a big fan of quah in particular when it comes to jorma solo stuff (too much tuna and airplane and solo to lump his stuff all together). genesis and i'll be alright someday are two of my fav jorma tunes.

thanks,
ira
ps- not to be a pig about it, but if your really have the ability to get info, looked all over the internet and couldn't find chords to i'll be alright someday, any clues. its probably easy and i'm just spacing out on it. would love any help even a basic idea of how to start off. unless something is basic major progression that i get the first chord on i still haven't mastered figuring out tunes. i wind up creating a completely diff. structure.

Tom C
Sep-15-2004, 8:25am
I love playing Hesitation blues, That'll never happen no nore, Trouble in mind,
Death don't have no mercy, along with the blue country heart material.
I have a great connection to learn all Jorma tunes but not too many people I know I can play them with.

David M.
Sep-15-2004, 9:15am
I have emailed Jorma on a couple of occassions and gotten polite responses each time. One of the emails was asking him what tunings he used on Quah and he said it was all standard with maybe one or two drop-D.

www.jormakaukonen.com and you should find his email address. 'Course you could always go the the Ranch for a lesson and ask him to teach it to you http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Also check out www.breakdownway.com which is his online lessons site. There are a couple of "freebies" on there.

My fave to fingerpick on flattop is 99 Year Blues and I Am The Light of this World. Both use capoes.

Good Luck!

Lee
Sep-15-2004, 12:36pm
Anyone being in the Philly area on Thanksgiving Wednesday can hear Hot Tuna at the Keswick Theater. This is a tradition for them and a first class venue to hear their acoustic music. Beware, only the first half is acoustic with Barry. The second half is electric most likely with no mandolin unless Barry has picked up a solid-body e-mando. Many years ago I asked Mike Falzarano if he could make the switch (he does play mandolin). He said he'd tried a Fender "mandocaster" just once and couldn't get used to it. What a pity...

Tom C
Sep-15-2004, 1:22pm
barry will be playing electric which will be pretty different to him. He does have a
couple of solid body electrics including a Tiny Moore model I believe. I believe
he plans on using these along with his F5 on some tunes if it works out with
electrics. I know he does have another solid body on order for a long time. I
forgot who the builder is but a couple of months ago, the builder sent him some
pics. But they were of the shop being built, not the mando.

Barry has not been home today so chords for tunes will have to wait til friday.

Lee
Sep-16-2004, 11:11am
Barry will need one helluva powerful amp too. Hot Tuna has consistently been one of the loudest bands I can remember.

Peakbagr
Sep-30-2004, 10:07pm
Have great seats to see Tuna at The Egg in Albany in early December. They are doing 1 acoustic set and 1 electric set.
When we caught them the last time in town, it was just Jorma and Jack, and all acoustic.
This will be another outstanding show.

mando bandage
Oct-01-2004, 7:07am
Agreed as to the inspirational nature of Hot Tuna, particularly the accoustic stuff. Saw them with Barry in Medina, OH a few months ago. What a show. While we're passing the tabs, anybody got one for Good Shepherd?

R

Tom C
Oct-01-2004, 7:08am
Sorry, I neglected to get chords. I will try again.
Tom