PDA

View Full Version : Coming out of the closet

BloozeGit
Jan-12-2010, 11:16pm
Hi folks,

I've finally mustered the courage to post a video of my mandolin playing on youtube after recording it to check my technique.

DAh0D4W-oT8

For starters, I think my rhythm needs some consistency so it's back to the metronome for me. I'd like some feedback and comments on stuff that I can work on, thanks for listening. :mandosmiley:

Darren Bailey
Jan-13-2010, 3:47am
I'm not good enough to give you any pointers, but I did want to say how much I enjoyed your playing.

Bertram Henze
Jan-13-2010, 3:50am
Good toe-tapping timing, I don't think the metronome can teach you much more. In fact, it sounds good overall.

One hint though: your left hand seems to clamp around the neck, the thumb forming a hook. That might cause tension and eventually pain, especially when you are going to frequently shift positions and increase speed later. The left hand is for playing, not holding. The mandolin must be in a stable position while the left thumb just counters the fingers' force, thus sitting rather under the neck than over it. Test: are you able to play open strings while your left arm is hanging down? Because you should. A strap might help.

Ivan Kelsall
Jan-13-2010, 4:08am
Forget the metronome - that was fine !.Other than my personal remark,i'd second everything Bertram says in his post above,
Ivan

Walt
Jan-13-2010, 5:42am
Sounds great! How long have you been playing? Do you play other instruments?
As far as technique goes, it sounds like you are off to a great start. I would only ask is your right hand palm resting on the bridge, or is it floating above the bridge? It is hard to tell from the video.
There seems to be at least 3 ways to position your right hand.
1. Resting your palm on the bridge for stability--ChrisThile and Bill Monroe play like this.
2. Letting your hand float freely and not anchor it to anything--Sam Bush does this(probably the hardest)
3. Resting your pinky and/or ring finger on the instrument top for stability--Adam Steffey plays like this.

I don't think that one of those is particularly better than the other. Do a youtube search of some of those players and watch what their right hand looks like. You might find a technique that works better, or you might decide that what you are doing now is best. I played with my palm on the bridge for years until I started listening to guys like Adam Steffey, then I copied them to try and get that kind of tone.

Poener
Jan-13-2010, 9:27am
I had fun listening to that one. Nice job!!

chasray
Jan-13-2010, 9:47am
Lotta good things going on there. I enjoyed it.
About that left hand...most players you see the left thumb pointed more toward the headstock. It makes that pinky stretch easier.

nickster60
Jan-13-2010, 10:10am
It sounds good I wouldn't worry about your metronome as others have state it sound s good.

Nick

Tim2723
Jan-13-2010, 11:16am
I thought that was just fine! Good rhythm and a solid tempo. Other than the technique suggestions already mentioned, I would add that you know the tune well enough to start working on things like dynamics and phrasing. Don't be afraid to express yourself with the feel of the tune, that's what makes music come to life.

BloozeGit
Jan-13-2010, 12:05pm
Thanks for the kind words and the feedback folks! I'm primarily a blues guitar player (the clue is in the T-shirt!), originally got into the mandolin wanting to do some Johnny Young. Got distracted by Mr Monroe and never got back on track.

My right hand is sort of brushing on the bridge, not firmly planted except for slightly more pressure at tricky runs. I tried to rest my pinky at first but there was no pickguard and I couldn't reach the soundboard :redface:

I'm actually using a strap, just that it's black (salvaged from an old Nikon camera) against my black T-shirt. The open string test works fine, but the strap tied behind the nut gets in the way of my thumb pointing towards the headstock. I tried tying it around the neck joint, but I now have to contend with neck dive especially since my arm rest (sawn-off violin chin rest) is rather smooth. How do you guys get around that, apart from justifying an F-style purchase?:grin:

jim_n_virginia
Jan-13-2010, 9:39pm
Sounds pretty good to me! When I had an A style I tied the strap around about halfway on the headstock (loosely) so it would not be in the way of playing.

One thing I noticed though and thats because I used to do it too and that is your fingers come up off the frets when you play pretty high otherwise known as "flying fingers"

I learned from a great mandolin player years ago to keep the fingertips closer to the fretboard when you play you can play a lot faster and cleaner. Not too hard to get used to playing like that really. Chris Thile talks about flying fingers on one of his instructional DVD's too I believe I saw.

All those tunes I like playing! Now teach yourself three different variations of each tune so that if you are in a jam and the tune goes around a few times you don't have to play it exactly the same all three times! LOL! :mandosmiley:

billkilpatrick
Jan-13-2010, 11:04pm
well done! - nice variation on the melody. varying tempo can be a problem for me too but as you clearly show, practice makes perfect.

Bertram Henze
Jan-14-2010, 2:22am
The open string test works fine, but the strap tied behind the nut gets in the way of my thumb pointing towards the headstock. I tried tying it around the neck joint, but I now have to contend with neck dive especially since my arm rest (sawn-off violin chin rest) is rather smooth. How do you guys get around that, apart from justifying an F-style purchase?:grin:

The top-heavy headstock is a frequent problem. A good solution is fixing a strap button at the heel of the neck (on the treble side (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=37202&d=1230315217), so the strap wont slip off), which is just as efficient and much cheaper than a scroll.

Ivan Kelsall
Jan-14-2010, 3:50am
Re.strap attachments on an "A" style,i've always gone for a strap button,screwed close to the heel of the instrument on the back. If this is done properly,it gives a rock solid strap location.
This Mandolin used to belong to me & i added the strap button for use with this strap.The Mandolin hung straight down & was as stable as you'd wish,with no issues re.it tipping over towards the front. One other way favoured by many players on here,is to tie a leather thong (or strong cord)which is attached to your strap, under the fingerboard extension,
Ivan;)

BloozeGit
Jan-14-2010, 5:21am
The headstock dive thing seems less of a problem in the afternoon when I'm a little grubby and there's more forearm grip on the armrest :))

When you've got the thumb pointing towards the headstock, should the fleshy part of the palm just below the thumb be touching the neck at all? I'm asking this because if I keep it off the neck, my wrist ends up being bent inward at an awkward angle and I imagine this can't be good for the lower part of my wrist.

Bertram Henze
Jan-14-2010, 5:33am
When you've got the thumb pointing towards the headstock, should the fleshy part of the palm just below the thumb be touching the neck at all? I'm asking this because if I keep it off the neck, my wrist ends up being bent inward at an awkward angle and I imagine this can't be good for the lower part of my wrist.

Touching is always ok. Just clamping is not. The wrist should be straight. People who learned to play violin instinctively do it right (watch any classical violinist on YouTube), while native guitar players have to change their left hand attitude. (As a compensation, violinists have more right-hand issues when taking up the mandolin)

BloozeGit
Jan-15-2010, 12:16pm
Thanks Bertram and all, being in SE Asia there are no jams to go to or people to learn from, so the internet makes you my audience and instructors by default.

Lots of great tips here and they'll go a long way. This won't be the last you'll hear of me ;)

JeanM
Jan-16-2010, 6:49am
Very, very nice. Also, have you checked out the Song-A-Week Social Group?

BloozeGit
Jan-17-2010, 9:55pm
I never knew of the existence of these social group things till you pointed it out. Looks cool, will check it out in detail!

Mandobart
Jan-18-2010, 11:44pm
BloozeGit - Real nice medley of tunes. I especially like your version of Whiskey Before Breakfast - sounds better than the version I've learned. I'm a rank beginner myself, so I have no advice to offer. It looks like your right wrist is staying real flexible, didn't see any forearm movement, and that's good. A holdover from my guitar playing (chord banging) days is wanting to move the right elbow too much and the wrist not enough.