PDA

View Full Version : Multi Quote?

Rooster59
Jan-12-2010, 8:50pm
I can't seem to figure out how to do the "multi quote" thing.
I see quite often where someone will have quotes from more than 1 post in their reply and speak to each of those quotes, all in the same reply.
I've searched and read the instructions on the "board guidelines" page but I still can't get it.
Please Help?~:>

jefflester
Jan-12-2010, 8:57pm
You have to do it manually, open up multiple windows and copy and paste the parts you want. Or just copy and paste the words and manually add the user/quote info. Just make sure the quote (with brackets) and /quote (with brackets) are there at the start and end of each section you want.

At least that's how I do it.

journeybear
Jan-13-2010, 7:56am
Hmmm? No, you don't. Just to the right of the "Quote" button is the multi-quote icon, with the " on it. You can select up to three messages to quote by clicking on that icon at each message, then click on "Reply" and the selected messages will appear, as if by magic. :cool: You can then edit them as you wish, reply to each one separately, correct them for spelling and punctuation (I often do this to save the quotee from further embarassment) - in other words, proceed as before. To multi-quote more than three, you have to repeat the process, but first you have to start your reply. Otherwise the quoted messages stay on your clipboard, which you'll learn if you try to reply to another thread first.

You can do it Jeff's way, especially if you like grunt work :) but this is easier. What he says about the /quote code instructions is true, though, and I use this mehod occasionally if I want to break up a quoted message which touches on separate issues that I want to address individually. You'll see how these coded instructions look in your message or edit pane. If the posted message doesn't look right, go back and change it. It's the scientific method - observe and adjust.

Rob Gerety
Jan-13-2010, 6:54pm
Thanks for that info. I never knew how to use that. Works great.

jefflester
Jan-13-2010, 7:16pm
Well, silly me, I didn't even notice that multi-quote button was there. :redface:

Rooster59
Jan-13-2010, 8:12pm
I can't seem to figure out how to do the "multi quote" thing.
I see quite often where someone will have quotes from more than 1 post in their reply and speak to each of those quotes, all in the same reply.
I've searched and read the instructions on the "board guidelines" page but I still can't get it.
Please Help?~:>

Like this?

You have to do it manually, open up multiple windows and copy and paste the parts you want. Or just copy and paste the words and manually add the user/quote info. Just make sure the quote (with brackets) and /quote (with brackets) are there at the start and end of each section you want.
At least that's how I do it.
And like this.

Hmmm? No, you don't. Just to the right of the "Quote" button is the multi-quote icon, with the " on it. You can select up to three messages to quote by clicking on that icon at each message, then click on "Reply" and the selected messages will appear, as if by magic. :cool: You can then edit them as you wish, reply to each one separately, correct them for spelling and punctuation (I often do this to save the quotee from further embarassment) - in other words, proceed as before. To multi-quote more than three, you have to repeat the process, but first you have to start your reply. Otherwise the quoted messages stay on your clipboard, which you'll learn if you try to reply to another thread first.

And again like this.
Thanks Journeybear. You just solved one of lifes mysteries for me.~:>

man dough nollij
Jan-17-2010, 4:27pm
Well, silly me:

testing...

Thanks for that info.

testing...

Hmmm? No, you don't.

Hey, that's pretty slick! I didn't know how to use that either.

journeybear
Jan-17-2010, 6:22pm
The penguins have been whispering this to you for a long time, you just haven't been hearing it ... ~:>

man dough nollij
Jan-17-2010, 7:16pm
I thought that was just the voices in my head...

journeybear
Jan-18-2010, 11:43am
A bit of both, I reckon! ;)