PDA

View Full Version : Strange Callus

Poener
Jan-12-2010, 8:04pm
Anyone else have a callus on their thumb from the pick? It's the only place on my hands that has a callus.:confused:

MikeEdgerton
Jan-12-2010, 8:20pm
You don't have a callous on any of your fretting fingers?

Marni Sorrick
Jan-12-2010, 10:05pm
I think you are a bit daffy, or else you aren't doing it right. Or both. LOL

Bertram Henze
Jan-13-2010, 6:19am
I used to have thumb callus when I used the Wegen TF140 - the holes have rather sharp edges (and they're supposed to, I guess). But it went away when I switched back to Clayton.

As for having no callus on the fretting fingers: congrats for accompanying Bob Dillon songs with an open-tuned mandolin... :grin:

Poener
Jan-13-2010, 9:25am
I used to have thumb callus when I used the Wegen TF140 - the holes have rather sharp edges (and they're supposed to, I guess). But it went away when I switched back to Clayton.

As for having no callus on the fretting fingers: congrats for accompanying Bob Dillon songs with an open-tuned mandolin... :grin:

You may be on to something. I use Jim Dunlop's .88 mm and they are not smooth but I don't drop them ever. Also, my fretting fingertips are as smooth as a baby's bottom. Either I haven't been fretting notes properly, or I have been fretting notes properly for the last 45 years. I get calluses from the string bass but that's why I shy away from that.

tree
Jan-13-2010, 9:25am
I have a bit of callus on the inside of my LEFT (fretting hand) thumb, where it contacts the neck. Oddly enough, right where Mike Marshall says it's supposed to do that. ~:>

Bertram Henze
Jan-13-2010, 9:32am
I have a bit of callus on the inside of my LEFT (fretting hand) thumb, where it contacts the neck. Oddly enough, right where Mike Marshall says it's supposed to do that. ~:>

Yes, I have that too. It's from my habit of using the thumb for open D chords.

miami
Mar-04-2019, 10:28pm

Can anyone point me to where M. Marshall talks about this?
Thanks

kurth83
Mar-05-2019, 12:44am

Glad to know I'm not the only one. I found that callus a bit painful on some sharper v-necks, and the softnek product worked wonders.

Callus-free playing..., I only ever achieved that on a nylon string guitar. Maybe possible on a uke too. :-)

Denny Gies
Mar-05-2019, 8:26am
Count me in for the left hand thumb callus. I've never heard of a callus caused from the pick. Well, we learn something new every day.