PDA

View Full Version : My Weber Universal tailpiece.

8ch(pl)
Sep-08-2004, 6:53pm
On the 15th of September last year, I put a $20 deposit down for a Weber Universal tailpiece at a Halifax Music store. I was going to get it to be a Christmas present. I posted a couple of messages about it. It never arrived, I would go in and joke with the salesman about it, "I could have walked to Montana in this time"etc. It came in!!! I will pick it up tomorrow and will put it away for this coming Christmas.

I have no idea what the delay was, maybe they forgot to porder it, then forgot again. I ordered it through them to avoid going through customs, since they are a Weber dealer. I actually thought it was funny that it took so long, now I am happy to be getting it.

My Mid Missouri should sound and look a bit better. Maybe they will stock a few.

steve V. johnson
Sep-09-2004, 10:53am
Hey Glen,

Congrats on your patience, and its reward, too! <GG>

I had a real nice maple Mid-Mo octave mando here for a while, and I had the idea that it would benefit from a solid tailpiece.
So, I'm eager to learn how your retrofit goes, and how the MM sounds as a result.

All the best,

stv

Jasper
Sep-09-2004, 1:11pm
Hi Y'all,

I can't imagine what the delay was...I ordered two over the internet (about 6 or 8 months ago)and got them within a week. I put one on a Mid-Mo M-1 and the other on my Olympia F-style. They make a world of difference...no buzzing etc. I did find that I had to ream out the end pin hole a bit and the screws didn't match exactly, but close enough so that I didn't have to fill the holes and redrill.

Jasper

8ch(pl)
Sep-09-2004, 2:28pm
Well guys, I'll let you know after Christmas. The posts I did last year were toward " how will it sound.... are string changes easier than the Gibson type etc." I hear string changes are harder, but I think it will improve sound.

I picked it up this morning and it looks quite nice. It should dress up the old M-4 a bit.

I have also added a nice ebony pick guard which friction fits in the groove between the fingerboard and the top. Made it myself.

I may go for a Siren armrest. I wonder if I can get one sent to Nova Scotia in less time than the tailpiece took.LOL

Best wishes all

8ch(pl)
Sep-13-2004, 3:25pm
I refinished the top of my Mid Missouri. I had done it last year but was not happy with how it looked. While i have the original tailpiece removed, I compared the hole spacig for the new one.

Well, it looks like I will have to plug the screwholes altogether. Not only that, I will have to make a plug for the endpin hole, glue it in, cut it off and re-drill for the metal endpiece supplied by Weber. The endpin hole in the tailpiece is about to halfway down from lining up. I think I will drill only deep enough to accomodate the Weber end pin, without coming through on the inside of the instrument.

Looks like it will be fun.