PDA

View Full Version : Andy Leftwich

Kirk Albrecht
Jan-09-2010, 4:09pm
Listening to Three Ring Circle in the car as I did errands today, struck again by how dynamic a mando player (and fiddler!) Andy Leftwich. is. He can tear it up with speed only a few guys out there (like Chris Thile) can approach, but also has a great sense of creativity in his playing, at least to my ears.

Does he not get as much press as some of the other big names because he is hidden in Kentucky Thunder as the fiddle player?

I would love for him to do another solo or TRC project again soon.

Bob Borzelleri
Jan-09-2010, 6:57pm
I guess it's been a couple of years ago that we went to see TRC at The Palms in Winters. It was a Wednesday night and things started out slow in the audience count. By the time the show was slated to begin, it hadn't gotten much better. They did the show for 15 people.

On the up side, they played like they were in a packed house. Andy Leftwich is the real deal. Not sure if his level of notoriety is by design or what, but I think there are a whole lot of mandolin players who are much better known but are less accomplished musicians.

Glassweb
Jan-09-2010, 7:04pm
Not sure if his level of notoriety is by design or what, but I think there are a whole lot of mandolin players who are much better known but are less accomplished musicians.[/QUOTE]

couldn't agree more... Andy doesn't play second fiddle to ANY mandolin player as far as I can tell... i've heard him do things that are unequalled by ANYONE... what an amazing, young talent. Ricky ain't no dummy...

Chris Biorkman
Jan-09-2010, 7:16pm
He's not bad. ;)

Ivan Kelsall
Jan-10-2010, 2:03am
He's an amazing musician !.I first knew of him as a Fiddle player,then,when i heard him play Mandolin i realised just how good this guy is. He's up there with the likes of Aubrey Haynie in his Fiddle & Mandolin playing - a great talent indeed,
Ivan

mrmando
Jan-10-2010, 2:08am
There is another TRC album in the works; when I interviewed Andy a few weeks ago he was just getting ready to hit the studio. He also talked about additional projects he wants to do.

The interview is in "Worship Musician" magazine and will be available at the magazine's booth at NAMM.

Patrick Sylvest
Jan-10-2010, 2:42am
I was priviledged and blessed to have Andy Leftwich play both Mandolin and Fiddle on my Solo Songwriter CD. No kiddin'! Friend of a friend, and the rest is history. Rob Ickes dressed my tracks up as well.