PDA

View Full Version : I need advice on a new tune to learn

grandmainger
Sep-08-2004, 4:32pm
Since I don't have any background in country/old time/folk music, I'm getting a bit antsy about finding some nice tunes to learn. I can do some fiddle tunes already, but I feel like I'd like something a bit different next.

Last week, I got some great advice here for CDs to buy, and i got some Grisman and some Skagg CDs, and I'm loving them, but the tunes are way too hard for me to learn as yet.

Any recommendation (ideally coupled with a tabledit file)?

I'm essentially looking for a nice tune that would be not too fiddley/oldtimey; simple enough that I can learn it, but also good for me to try and work some slides/pulloffs/chords into it.

And no, I don't want the moon with it http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Thanks folks!

Germain

ShaneJ
Sep-08-2004, 4:42pm
Germain, it's not TablEdit, but I'd recommend Wayne Benson's DVD (and the CD that it's based on too). His music is mando all the way with plenty of slides and pulloffs. He goes through them slowly with closeups, and there's a tab book with the DVD. I've learned 3 or 4 of the songs so far. They really aren't as hard as they sound. They sound impossible, but they're doable - with work.

250sc
Sep-09-2004, 6:00am
When I feel I need to learn something new I listen to different TablEdit solos on mandozine.com. until something strikes me. I always come away with more material than I can learn in a year.

fatt-dad
Sep-09-2004, 6:32am
learn some bill monroe tunes. Monroe's hornpipe, Jerusalem Ridge, Roanoke, perhaps.

davestem
Sep-09-2004, 8:04am
That new signature of yours is a hoot, Fatt-Dad!

Germain, there's a cool Irish cross-picking mando tune called Rosin the Beau that I found a long time ago in Hal Leonard's "Irish Tunes and Fiddle Tunes for Mandolin" (or something like that). It's a cool book, comes with a CD, and has very doable transcriptions of most songs.

mandofiddle
Sep-09-2004, 10:07am
These are some of the latest I've been learning...

Daybreak in Dixie (also known as Ralph's banjo special)
Old Dangerfield (3 part Monroe tune)
Angeline the Baker

They all have tabledit files at mandozine.com

duuuude
Sep-09-2004, 12:18pm
How 'bout Bluegrass Stomp found on co-mando? Fun, easy to play, lotsa room for changes/additions.
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif

grandmainger
Sep-09-2004, 5:19pm
Cafe Members to the Rescue http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Thanks for the advice. I'm having fun already!

EasyEd
Sep-09-2004, 5:59pm
Hey All,

Second vote for Old Rosin the Beau. It's an Irish waltz - mixture of notes and chords an not too terribly difficult. It gives you good practice at not hitting the wrong string(s) on the chords. Plus to my ear it's a beautiful song I never get tired of. As a bonus there are two versions. Obviously it is my current project song.

After that I'll probably try rakes of kildare although I've no idea if I can figure out how to play 6/8 time correctly. Either that or maybe Black Velvet Waltz. Beautiful on a fiddle but I've no idea how it will sound on a mando. Ive also thought about flop eared mule but I don't know if a mando can handle a two fret (IIRC) slide maintaining adequate volume like a fiddle can.

Take Care! -Ed-

grandmainger
Sep-11-2004, 4:41am
I'm learning 'Old Rosin the Beau'. It's lovely.
Thanks for the great advice.