PDA

View Full Version : Looking for original tailpiece for Vega

James.smedley@shaw.ca
Jan-08-2010, 10:44pm
I have a Vega Mandolin 37352 and the tailpiece has been replaced. It is shiny and new and really does not suit the instrument. Any ideas on how I could find what the original tailpiece looked like so I could try and find one similar or the same.

Any tips on where to find a tailpiece for an old Vega?

Thanks
James

MikeEdgerton
Jan-08-2010, 11:08pm
Can you post a picture of what the original looked like?

8ch(pl)
Jan-09-2010, 5:50am
It will be a Waverly Cloud type tailpiece. They were made from early in the 1900's until I believe, the 70's. Although the later Martin mandolins from the 1970's may have used old stock. They were found on lots of mandolin banjos, in a modified form and also on many early American made instruments. It is about time reproduction units were made. There are loads of these in use, many that are missing their covers.

It is not impossible to find one, but it will be difficult.

bratsche
Jan-10-2010, 1:32am
I agree! Great opportunity for somebody to re-create those!

They will look like the ones on this thread (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?p=750406), James.

You might get lucky and find a busted up eBay beater mando going for cheap that has one that you could salvage.

As for the many out there with missing covers, I wish someone with one of those would give up trying to find one, and give me their uncovered tailpiece. My covers are present and intact, but the tailpiece on my Weymann Mandolute is smushed on one side, so that the cover, which attaches with some difficulty, looks cockeyed. But it still looks better than nothing.

bratsche

James.smedley@shaw.ca
Jan-11-2010, 9:20pm
Thanks, I'll start looking for a Waverly Cloud. Wish me luck.

James

Paul Hostetter
Jan-13-2010, 2:15am
Good luck!