PDA

View Full Version : Thumbwheel stud size

Blazer94
Jan-06-2010, 3:04pm
Does anyone know if there is a standard stud size and thread on most mandolin bridges? I have a stripped out thumbwheel and would like to replace it without replacing the stud. I do not know the brand of the bridge.

mandroid
Jan-06-2010, 3:16pm
I doubt any Standard, .. Asia made brand, or US, Or Europe?

You can take the other one to the hardware store, try it on bolts ,

and take the bridge there and try on nuts till

you find one to fit.

stud and thumbwheel sets are sold. perhaps replace both.

Dave Cohen
Jan-06-2010, 3:34pm
The ones that I have seen more recently on Gibsons are 5-40 threads. That is, #5 rods, with 40 threads per inch. I use 6-32 for my own bridges. Chances are that most of what you will see is either 5-40 or 6-32. 4-40 is a bit small and bendy for a bridge adjusting post. Iirc, Stew-Mac sells bridge adjusting post/thumbwheel combinations for not very much, if you are not obsessed with making your own.

http://www.Cohenmando.com

Rolfe
Jan-06-2010, 4:31pm
Stew-Mac sells the metric sets: 3.5mm X 6 threads/mm. Most adjustable bridges were made in Germany a couple of decades ago, and that's why the metric post/thumbwheel became common. First Quality has the non-metric sets. Life ain't easy when it comes to instrument parts.

Rob Grant
Jan-06-2010, 5:40pm
FWIW: If you're not fixated on the traditional (and somewhat useless) knurled thumb wheel, you can replace the post with a bit of fine threaded rod (cut the head off a bolt) and a suitably threaded nut. The neat thing about a nut is you can get a thin profile spanner on it if you decide to adjust the bridge under full tension. Small, unf or fine metric stainless steel bolts (for the posts) and nuts are a good "flash" option for this bit of "surgery."

slausonm
Jan-06-2010, 6:29pm
Does anyone know if there is a standard stud size and thread on most mandolin bridges? I have a stripped out thumbwheel and would like to replace it without replacing the stud. I do not know the brand of the bridge.

I am a novice stringed instrument builder but a seasoned band instrument repairman. I believe I have all of the American and metric thread sizes mentioned so far, in both taps and dies. If you bring your mandolin bridge to a good band instrument repair shop, they can should be able to figure it out for you.

sunburst
Jan-06-2010, 10:47pm
Steve Smith (Cumberland Acoustic) will sell the posts (in various lengths) and/or adjuster wheels (in nickel or gold) separate from the bridges. You can easily replace post and/or wheel on one or both sides of the bridge, unless the holes in the wooden parts are too big.

Keith Newell
Jan-07-2010, 12:09am
I make my own bridges and use a 6-32 thread out of stainless steel. I also make the thumbwheel but in a kind of gear/star shape fore easy grip.
Keith

amowry
Jan-07-2010, 12:26am
Bill James (Axiom) sells them too.

Darryl Wolfe
Jan-07-2010, 12:50pm
For clarification, the original Gibsons were 5-40. They later went to the 6-32. Most everything is metric these days

pops1
Jan-07-2010, 3:39pm
I am able to turn my wheels to raise the bridge under full tension with my fingers. If everything is right they shouldn't turn that hard and if they do you probably shouldn't adjust it under tension.