PDA

View Full Version : Flatiron Mandola model 3MC

Bragi
Jan-05-2010, 7:31pm
Does anyone have an opinion regarding the Flatiron mandola model 3MC (built in the late 90's)? How would you rate its quality? Also, are the Flatiron/Gibson models still built in the U.S.? I do not yet own a mandola and want to purchase something that would be suitable for diverse genres, including Celtic, jazz, renaissance, and other. (I am a brass musician who after many years is finding his way into the wonderful mando world.)

jefflester
Jan-05-2010, 8:04pm
It's quality is excellent, a highly recommended instrument. They were made in Montana, but those Flatiron/Gibson pancake models are no longer made. The Flatiron name (bought by Gibson) was dropped for a number of years, but recently resurrected for an F-model that is made in Asia.

Eddie Sheehy
Jan-05-2010, 8:31pm
I have a Flatiron Scout Mandola and I really like it. No fancy frills, no scrolls, no abelone... what's not to like about it?

allenhopkins
Jan-06-2010, 12:18am
Flatiron "pancake" instruments are consistently well-made, and have a distinctive voice -- clear, audible even in a mix of instruments, not as bassy or woody as carved-top mandolins. They ring for a long time when picked, and can be used in a variety of musical styles. Not as well suited for bluegrass, but my Gibson "Army-Navy Custom," which is just a post-merger fancy Flatiron "pancake" mandolin, has held its own in several bluegrass jams. Shorter scale, making for easy fingering, and generally pleasant to play.

bratsche
Jan-06-2010, 4:02am
I have a Flatiron 1N mandola (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?albumid=624&pictureid=4452). It's very nice and a definite keeper; however, it sounded a little "brash" to my ears tuned to CGDA (but then, I play more Bach than anything else). Since I already had a 17" pancake style Sawchyn Deluxe Beaver Tail Mandola (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?albumid=624&pictureid=4451) that sounds great tuned CGDA, I tried tuning the Flatiron to GDAE as an octave mandolin using d"Addario flat top mandola strings. and I like it that way!

bratsche

Eddie Sheehy
Jan-07-2010, 12:03am
I would have thought that GDAE would mean sloppy bass strings on a 17" scale, I know the Mandola strings work great on a 20" scale tuned GDAE though.

bratsche
Jan-07-2010, 12:20am
They're a bit jangly, but the tone is good overall, so I put up with it. I could never physically play a 20" scale anything, and if both my 17" mandolas were tuned to CGDA, then I know the Flatiron would get passed by in favor of the Sawchyn (not to mention my MidMo M-16 mandola, which I really love a lot too). Wouldn't want to neglect the Flatiron... actually, I probably would have opted to re-sell it, if I hadn't tried this experiment. :)

bratsche