PDA

View Full Version : We got snow

Darren Bailey
Jan-05-2010, 12:21pm
But my Kentucky likes the sun!

woodwizard
Jan-05-2010, 12:26pm
Not much snow here, (just a white haze), but it's freakin' COLD! here in Arkansas this week. I'm ready for Spring!

jim simpson
Jan-05-2010, 8:52pm
This is the view from our kitchen from our first snow of this season. It went away and was resplaced with our current powdery snow and extreme cold.

Ivan Kelsall
Jan-06-2010, 4:35am
Yesterday morning - & more to come !!,
Ivan:(
And Darren,i thought that i told you to keep that Mandolin WARM !!! ( strewth,these young-uns !)

Dfyngravity
Jan-06-2010, 7:28am
This was our first snow of the season here in Virginia about a week before x-mas, about 10" here in Richmond. It's gone but as most of the country it is down right cold and has been for the last week.

Hans
Jan-06-2010, 7:41am
Big deal...:))

Dfyngravity
Jan-06-2010, 7:47am
Haha yea...:grin: Though here in Richmond, 10" truly cripples us because that's the most snow we have had in a number of years, and just west and north of here got 18-26". We Central and Eastern Virginians just aint use to a lot of the white stuff.

Randy Smith
Jan-06-2010, 9:14am
QUOTE=Hans;752220]Big deal...:))[/QUOTE]

So have you guys got any snow yet in the North Central? We've just received a thirty-six hour storm warning that it sounds your area's part of. Let's enjoy!~o)

Randi Gormley
Jan-06-2010, 9:26am
I love looking at snow — and over the years, I've certainly seen enough of it! Raised in northeastern Ohio (think lake-effect snow over Lake Erie and snow so high you had to tunnel through it as a kid with it waist high or higher); then young adulthood in Michigan, and now middle age in Connecticut, where we had 10 inches last week (now mostly melted) and we're expecting more tomorrow. Snow isn't that bad, though, it's the cutting wind that makes me feel the years more. I keep myself amused when I'm shoveling out the driveway and sidewalk by reminding myself that I'm actually moving air. All it takes is one nice day, and all my hours of effort will evaporate into the atmosphere and you'd never know there was anything to shovel!

When winter snows keep me in, I spend more time practicing. That's a good thing.

Randy King
Jan-06-2010, 5:43pm
Yep

Mike Bunting
Jan-06-2010, 5:55pm
I'm from Alberta Canada near the foothills of the Rockies, I may post a pic, but you can imagine. About 2 feet on the ground. -20C today, maybe above 0C (32F) by the weekend.

Denny Gies
Jan-06-2010, 6:01pm
You want sun for your Kentucky? Move to Florida 'cept tonight it's going to be 19 here in Gainesville. I'm moving south.

Darryl Wolfe
Jan-07-2010, 12:52pm
We may get some tonight...haven't had any in three years

John Kinn
Jan-07-2010, 1:57pm
-20c here, but thanks to the cold it has stopped snowing. So I can do some pickin instead of shufflin..

Darren Bailey
Jan-07-2010, 2:16pm
She insisted on playing out in the snow Ivan, but came straight back in.

Sandy Beckler
Jan-07-2010, 3:00pm
I hate to gloat but....it's 76 degrees a clear as a bell here in sunny Southern California.

Sandy;)

Mike Bromley
Jan-07-2010, 5:11pm
I'm from Alberta Canada near the foothills of the Rockies, I may post a pic, but you can imagine. About 2 feet on the ground. -20C today, maybe above 0C (32F) by the weekend.

We are about to experience a Chinook. It warmed up today by 15 degrees...

...But, Mon, I'll be in Negril by the time the thaw hits. Hah!:popcorn:

Mike Bunting
Jan-07-2010, 5:51pm
Yep, it's warmed up here too by about 10 degrees, it's welcome. Have a good trip.

Ivan Kelsall
Jan-08-2010, 2:53am
Overnight on Wednesday,at my old place of work at BAE Systems Airfield in Woodord,Cheshire, UK,it achieved the lowest 'lowland' temp.ever -17.6 deg.F.
We're simply not geared up & prepared for really severe snow over here as it rarely happens.
You can understand our local councils not wanting to stock up 100's of tons of salt/grit mixture for our roads 'just in case'. They spend the cash elsewhere. Subsequently when it does happen,we're up the creek sans paddle !!.
We're always pointing to other countries & talking about the wonderful machines they have for shifting snow & how they're always prepared for it,but these countries have ultra-severe weather EVERY year !. I can't remember snow as bad as we're having right now for at least 15 years.
My late friend over in Ottawa,Canada,David Tinkoff,used to phone me or me him,& he'd ask about the weather. I'd say it was about -6 deg. over here,he'd laugh & reply " hell fire ! - you're having a heatwave " . It would usually be around -25 - 30 deg. over there. It didn't make me feel any warmer knowing that,
Ivan:))

Mike Snyder
Jan-08-2010, 3:17am
Four layers, as of now, with the first coming before Christmas. No thaw in-between. Thick and crunchy underneath, soft and fluffy atop, and hoovering around zero. I usually haul my mando to
work, practice over lunch/break time. Baby is NOT going out in cold this bad.

Mike Bromley
Jan-08-2010, 8:17am
Baby is NOT going out in cold this bad.

Take it from a Cryogenic Canadian:

As long as you don't shock the instrument (i.e., by taking it outdoors out of its case), you should be able to get it to a vehicle or a bus before it gets cold. It's the sudden change that kills 'em.

evanreilly
Jan-08-2010, 9:48am
And of course the reverse is true.....
Let it warm up on the beach slowly...
and don't drip any high octane stuff on the finish!!!
Bye-bye varnish!!!!

Mike Snyder
Jan-09-2010, 4:04am
I can testify that Gibson lacquer will withstand both Chevas and Los Jimadors. The coldest weather is my busiest time of year at work. I never get time to loaf in January, so it stays home.
I take it out to gig and jam every other weekend, weather be damned.

Bertram Henze
Jan-10-2010, 11:19am
Made it to a session and back yesterday through the snow, will drive to another one tonight. Radar shows more snow coming. And there is "The Day after Tomorrow" on TV :mandosmiley:

Mike Bromley
Jan-10-2010, 11:42am
And of course the reverse is true.....
Let it warm up on the beach slowly...
and don't drip any high octane stuff on the finish!!!
Bye-bye varnish!!!!

Such great advice....[hic]
and now, what a difference two days makes....a half-yard of snow to some liquid sunshine....Calgary to Negril. A little reggae mando in the making.

hank
Jan-10-2010, 12:34pm
Mike you are THE MAN! JAMAICA!! Whoo hooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

Mark Walker
Jan-11-2010, 10:57am
Big deal...:))

Hans - I agree. Here in West Michigan - where the lake effect snow machine runs on a regular basis - 2-4 additional inches nearly every morning is fairly common!

Keeps me healthy shoveling the walks and snow-blowing the driveways! :)

But I can appreciate the novelty (and inconvenience) for those who don't often get snow.
I read something funny here a few weeks back, where someone from Virginia (or somewhere south) had some snow and while driving were spinning all over the roads and into and out of ditches. The joke here in Michigan while driving in slippery conditions is "Here, hold my ~o) and watch this!" :))

Meanwhile, we just sit in our wood-stove warmed houses and play mandolins and guitars!

mandroid
Jan-11-2010, 7:47pm
Anyone using their new top floor entry door[window] yet?

Bertram Henze
Jan-12-2010, 8:24am
Anyone using their new top floor entry door[window] yet?

Like in this case (http://www.impawards.com/2004/posters/day_after_tomorrow.jpg)?

journeybear
Jan-12-2010, 9:09am
You want sun for your Kentucky? Move to Florida 'cept tonight it's going to be 19 here in Gainesville. I'm moving south.

You're gonna have to head even further south than here. We've been socked into cold weather here going on two weeks, rather than the typical 2-3 day cold snap, and people are freaking out. Yes, I know highs in the 50s doesn't sound so bad to a lot of y'all right now, but bear in mind there's no such thing as central heating here, so it's as cold inside as it is outside. Yesterday it got down to 42, one degree shy of the all-time record set coincidentally on the same date in 1886. Weather like this really separates the tourists from the locals. They're still going around in shorts, T-shirts, and sandals, while residential dress codes require jeans, 2-3 layers of shirts, down or fur jackets, boots, hats, and even gloves. Hard to do any pickin' with gloves on, unless you're using a slide. :mandosmiley:

JeffD
Jan-12-2010, 11:16am
The view out my window

journeybear
Jan-12-2010, 1:08pm
The view out of my back door ...

I know it doesn't really convey the brutal cold we've been experiencing here - five days in a row below 50, for one thing - but at least you can tell it's overcast.

Bill James
Jan-12-2010, 2:50pm
brutal cold we've been experiencing here - five days in a row below 50

Oh my gawd!! Are we talking 50 above, as in Farenheit above the zero?

Taking some liberty with the word "brutal" there Journybear. I'm thinking "mild", "pleasant", "tolerable" would be more accurate!

Wimps!! :))

Bill James
Jan-12-2010, 2:59pm
Journeybear I appologize. I missed the part where you had confessed to being a weather wimp. No offense intended. :)

man dough nollij
Jan-12-2010, 7:26pm
Yep.

Bertram Henze
Jan-13-2010, 2:36am
Interesting dark streak there, Lee, about knee-level - did Mt. Erebus erupt?

Tosh Marshall
Jan-13-2010, 5:12am
North Kensington, London, UK today....a rare sight.

journeybear
Jan-13-2010, 8:01am
brutal cold we've been experiencing here - five days in a row below 50

Oh my gawd!! Are we talking 50 above, as in Farenheit above the zero?

Taking some liberty with the word "brutal" there Journybear. I'm thinking "mild", "pleasant", "tolerable" would be more accurate!

Wimps!! :))

I see my sarcasm is too subtle for some ... :whistling:

Journeybear I appologize. I missed the part where you had confessed to being a weather wimp. No offense intended.

Hey now, I made no such admission. Just reporting the rather comical behavior of the local citizenry.* I still aver, though, that without central heating, it's as cold inside as outside, and that gets pretty uncomfortable when it's below 50 for five days in a row in the middle of a two-week cold snap, even if many of you would kill for weather this warm, to you. There are some relativistic effects at play here, you understand. ;)

Just sayin' ... :)

BTW, come on down, the fishing is great. Fish are going belly up from the cold. You can just go out and scoop 'em up. You do want to be quick about it though, and catch them when they're recently deceased. :disbelief:

*Continuing in ths vein, people here have been known to light fires in fireplaces when it dips below 60.

Bill James
Jan-13-2010, 9:03am
"BTW, come on down, the fishing is great."

I prefer warm weather fishing! :)

journeybear
Jan-13-2010, 10:53am
"BTW, come on down, the fishing is great."

I prefer warm weather fishing! :)

Now THAT'S ice fishing!!! :))

While watching the Patriots get crushed by the Ravens Sunday, I was amused by a shot they ran coming back from a commercial of two guys ice fishing not far from the stadium. It was good for a chuckle. ;)

I was up thataway over New Year's for family and while it was perfectly appropriate to stand in a cemetery in 20 degree snowy weather with 30 mph wind it was also nice to get back inside, and finally back here, even with our unseasonably cold weather. It's been so cold here I even had to get my (ptui!) Miami Dolphins windbreaker out of storage - it's the warmest jacket I have. I'll be really glad when this cold snap is over. :grin:

Big Joe
Jan-13-2010, 12:02pm
I spent ten years in Minnesota. That was the longest winter of my life! :) . Last week we got about 1/2 inch of ice under about 1 inch of snow. That would be pretty mild for Minnesota, but for here in Tennessee it is a bit different. We could not get off our hill for a day and a half. We have a pretty steep hill we have to get down and a worse one to get up to get out of our place. Our road is very narrow, with bad curves, and no shoulders... just deep ditches. It is not unusual to see cars stranded everywhere. Schools close for days because they cannot handle the ice. Yep, after seeing 36 inches of snow in one night in Minnesota and still getting to work the next day it is a bit strange to be stranded for a day and a half with only 1 1/2 inch :) .

journeybear
Jan-13-2010, 1:08pm
Sometimes it's the little things that get ya. The hellacious winter of '77-'78 I drove from CT to AZ with a friend, heading south and then west. Visited a friend of ours at UNC, who told us the day before they'd had a light dusting, 1/8" or so, and there were 50 accidents - drivers there just weren't used to it.

But the story you really brought to mind was the time I finally got a vacation from my old, old job and spent a month exploring the Southwest in my Gremlin, October 1984 - canyons, Indian ruins, hot springs, the best bowl of chili. I got stranded outside of Taos for nearly a week because of a perfect storm of seemingly insignificant factors. Where I was visiting was on a hillside, the ground was a fine red clay/sand mix, it snowed just a little every night then warmed up during the day, and my car was parked sideways to the slope. That little bit of moisture turned the surface into very slick mud and I couldn't get traction - if I'd been parked in line with the slope I could have rolled down the hill - and then it would freeze up over night. After a few days I deduced there would be a small window of opportunity when my escape would be possible, but I had to wait until the conditions were just right. Now, if I'd only had a horse instead of a car ... ;)

man dough nollij
Jan-13-2010, 1:36pm
Interesting dark streak there, Lee, about knee-level - did Mt. Erebus erupt?

That was the big storm of February '09. It snowed sideways for a couple of days, and when the snow was stripped by the wind, it blew dirt. Here we call that weather condition one. This was shot by my coworker, Antz Powell, and his wife, Christine. Mando content... hmm... I'll get back to you on that.

qz2SeEzxMuE

Scotti Adams
Jan-13-2010, 2:14pm
Me too

AlanN
Jan-13-2010, 2:32pm
Now, Lee, that looks downright freaky.

journeybear
Jan-13-2010, 2:34pm
Nice reflections, Scotti, especially in #2.

Scotti Adams
Jan-13-2010, 3:43pm
Thanks..Yea..its a cool mandolin. No pun intended.

buckhorn
Jan-13-2010, 9:12pm
bring those puppies in from the cold.......

jim simpson
Feb-07-2010, 8:49pm
Yesterday's snow did a number on our Magnolia tree. Today I cleaned up everything and hope the tree survives. It provides some nice shade.
The deer didn't seem to mind the snow too much.

Mark Walker
Feb-10-2010, 10:57am
A colleague of mine near Huntsville, AL sent me a photo Monday of a flock of turkeys eating worms in his yard from rain on Sunday. Later Monday afternoon, he sent me pictures of the flock in his same yard walking around in several inches of SNOW! (Okay, no mandolin content, but people who don't normally see snow have been getting a LOT of it the past week or so!!)

Jim, I hope your Magnolia tree survives! Many species don't tolerate snow and ice too well!! (I just read something about a guy in Texas who was losing several trees due to snow and ice - they're 'dead-dead' - not just dormant.) :(

Steve Hinde
Feb-10-2010, 9:49pm
I just hope my wife gets all that new foot of snow out of the driveway so I can get home from West Palm Beach Friday................sometimes the day job sucks too.......Boston in 2 weeks....right after Houston.....then Canada... what day is it?.....where am I.....no snow in the hotel room.....

Nice bass berg there Bill. You don't use the mando for a paddle do ya?

Mark Walker
Feb-12-2010, 5:15pm
I'm down here in Houston on business, and everyone's buzzing about Dallas getting 12"-14" of snow down here...

Earth to Doug Edwards - are you burried in snow somewhere deep in the heart of Texas?? :)

Mandolin Mick
Feb-12-2010, 6:02pm
Here's my new Gibson F-9 in my front yard in Wisconsin!

Bill James
Feb-13-2010, 4:31pm
Last week I sent a package to builder Martin Fair (Fairbuilt Guitar Co.) in Virginia and I keep getting a message that the UPS truck can't get to his place because of the conditions. I emailed Marty, he said they got 40 inches and it'll take a while for UPS to get to his remote location.

He sent me this image with the caption, "this is my commute to work". :)

Darryl Wolfe
Feb-16-2010, 1:06pm
Well, here in Aiken SC we had snow for the first time since 1998. We got about 5 inches on Friday evening. It was all gone by 3:00Pm Saturday. I figured the KM-1000 could handle it.

Scotti Adams
Mar-08-2010, 12:01pm
Snow is no biggie when you have one of these http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Mune8nm9P0

Bertram Henze
Mar-09-2010, 6:00am
Snow is no biggie when you have one of these http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Mune8nm9P0

In a next step, that thing should be able to talk and say "I am your father" and then go on to become governor... :))