PDA

View Full Version : Banjos dangerous weapon

Susan H.
Jan-05-2010, 11:19am
I couldn't believe this when I read it. But, here in Colorado the banjo is considered a dangerous weapon....Another reason to give it up? I just don't know. Am I going have to get a permit for this thing now? Check it out. http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/22131184/detail.html

Links
Jan-05-2010, 11:24am
Probably a tenor! With my conceal/carry permit, I usually only carry a banjo uke!

Scott Holt
Jan-05-2010, 11:27am
That's some serious stuff! I wonder what they were arguing about in the first place? I wonder if it improved the sound of the banjo?

Tim2723
Jan-05-2010, 11:28am
That's funny in a tragic way.

I don't imagine they have a specific law about banjos, but about anything that ends up used as a bludgeoning weapon. I suppose a mandolin could qualify if you whacked somebody with it.

Mattg
Jan-05-2010, 12:43pm
Ever see the movie "Zombieland"? Woody Harrelson swings a mean banjo.

billkilpatrick
Jan-05-2010, 12:45pm
mind is boggling a bit here ...

Chuck Naill
Jan-05-2010, 12:50pm
Just remember, when banjos are outlawed, only criminals will play banjos. :grin:

banJoe
Jan-05-2010, 12:53pm
I read that in the local news paper this morning. Hilarious!

Ted Eschliman
Jan-05-2010, 1:35pm
The banjos I find most threatening are the semi-automatic ones. I know the owners defend them as only used in recreation and hunting, but I don't buy it.

John Kinn
Jan-05-2010, 1:42pm
The scroll might make the F-styles dangerous weapons as well. Personally I go for the A...:)

ColdBeerGoCubs
Jan-05-2010, 2:02pm
Some of these laws amaze me, seriously. In Michigan the accordian and several other instruments are illegal like that. Weird.

Elliot Luber
Jan-05-2010, 2:03pm
He probably didn't hit him with it, he only played it. That's enough to do serious damage.

Elliot Luber
Jan-05-2010, 2:04pm
In New York it's illegal for "unsightly people" to walk on the streets. I guess baj&%s would come under unSOUNDly people.

Scott Tichenor
Jan-05-2010, 2:06pm
http://www.banjodog.com/assets/merch_shirt_large_LO.jpg (http://www.banjodog.com/)

If you liked this article and particularly the image above, you need to visit the web site of most excellent mandolin builder and banjo player Mark Franzke - banjodog.com (http://www.banjodog.com/)

Scotti Adams
Jan-05-2010, 2:21pm
It was bound to happen.

un5trung
Jan-05-2010, 2:33pm
I have three banjos, but I keep them unstrung and I lock the banjos and strings in different cabinets. When I do string one I use a string lock. The cello banjo has a kick like a mule. I have a rack for a pickup truck -- now alls I needs is a truck . . .

barry k
Jan-05-2010, 2:45pm
Also, If the other guy woulda had a banjo in the fight , they could of charged them both with dueling banjos........:grin:

Travis Wilson
Jan-05-2010, 2:55pm
If both the banjo and the accordion are considered "deadly weapons," then where do bagpipes fit in the conversation?

ColdBeerGoCubs
Jan-05-2010, 2:57pm
Weapons of mass destruction?

Weapons of festival destruction, possibly?

Dave Greenspoon
Jan-05-2010, 3:46pm
Weapons of mass destruction?
I just asked a priest buddy of mine. He said that's true only if played in church.

Weapons of festival destruction, possibly?

Who knew that Colorado was so progressive? But is there a disctinction between possession and playing? Can one carry an unconcealed banjo without a license? I just wonder what are the implications for next year's Telluride. Will Bela be busted for baring a banjo?

MikeEdgerton
Jan-05-2010, 4:10pm
http://www.banjodog.com/assets/merch_shirt_large_LO.jpg (http://www.banjodog.com/)

If you liked this article and particularly the image above, you need to visit the web site of most excellent mandolin builder and banjo player Mark Franzke - banjodog.com (http://www.banjodog.com/)

I own that shirt!

mandomurph
Jan-05-2010, 4:11pm
Maybe it applies only to "clawhammer" banjos.

Eddie Sheehy
Jan-05-2010, 4:16pm
Do I need a permit for a Bazooki?

JeffD
Jan-05-2010, 4:29pm
Here you go on this thread too.

REPHCXPwHCM

David Rambo
Jan-05-2010, 4:48pm
Maybe in California you can possess and use medicinal banjo.

re simmers
Jan-05-2010, 5:01pm
You need a permit for every banjo, whether they're tuned or not.......because they never are.........which is one of the reasons they're deadly.

Bob

barry k
Jan-05-2010, 5:13pm
You MAY carry your banjo inside your car or glovebox while in Colorado, BUT, the strings MUST be in the trunk, out of reach. :))

oldwave maker
Jan-05-2010, 5:36pm
I thought Indiana had a 2 week waiting period for banjo purchases after that guy broke 2 mastertone copies over his wife's head and kilt her a couple of years ago.......

Richard Morrison
Jan-05-2010, 5:46pm
Every time i hear about Aspen i think of Dumb and Dumber.

...John Denvers' full of s**t!

Mandoviol
Jan-06-2010, 1:25am
Some of these laws amaze me, seriously. In Michigan the accordian and several other instruments are illegal like that. Weird.

And let us not forget, dear friends, that post the '45 rising in Scotland, the great highland pipes were categorized as weapons of war...

Ivan Kelsall
Jan-06-2010, 4:12am
It begs the question - 'when & why were Banjos declared a dangerous weapon in Colorado in the first place ?'. There's nothing more deadly than a fiddle played badly (IMHO) & there's few of those around for sure !,
Ivan~:>

Bertram Henze
Jan-06-2010, 5:16am
There's nothing more deadly than a fiddle played badly

Especially when played too near the bridge, i.e. when that fingernails-on-blackboard sound sends ripples of goosebumps through your body :))

Mandoist
Jan-06-2010, 6:15pm
Charlie Poole may be the first known professional to whack someone in the head with a banjo. It was a cop who was taking part in a raid in an establishment full of heathens drinking alcohol.

Anyway, does this Colorado law mean Pete Wernick is a fugitive from justice?

swampstomper
Jan-07-2010, 8:11am
Charlie Poole may be the first known professional to whack someone in the head with a banjo. It was a cop who was taking part in a raid in an establishment full of heathens drinking alcohol.

Anyway, does this Colorado law mean Pete Wernick is a fugitive from justice?

Now, I know Pete, and he is one of the few **responsible** banjo owners. Notice how his playing is melodic, tasteful and even complements his mandolin player (Tim 'O). When he goes undercover as Waldo Otto and pulls out the lap steel and puts on his porkpie hat backwards, he looks a lot more sinister behind that fake goofy smile...

mculliton123
Jan-11-2010, 3:33pm
post removed by the author

MikeEdgerton
Jan-11-2010, 3:48pm
Meanwhile on the cafe, let's keep in mind that this is a family forum and we should try and stay within the limits of good taste if nothing else.

mandroid
Jan-11-2010, 6:09pm
My 'Manjo', banjo-mandolin seems to be treated as if it had a barrel,
when I get requests to point it in another direction.

sasquatchmedicine
Jan-11-2010, 6:16pm

fredfrank
Jan-11-2010, 6:20pm
I thought Indiana had a 2 week waiting period for banjo purchases after that guy broke 2 mastertone copies over his wife's head and kilt her a couple of years ago.......

I should have bought my banjo in Indiana . . . my Huber took 5 months to get out here where I live!

bigbike
Jan-11-2010, 10:26pm
That's funny in a tragic way.

I don't imagine they have a specific law about banjos, but about anything that ends up used as a bludgeoning weapon. I suppose a mandolin could qualify if you whacked somebody with it.

Nah-if you whack someone with a mandolin you end up with expensive kindlin, kind of like that kentucky model on ebay right now that looks like it was run over or perhaps used as a weapon.

mrmando
Jan-15-2010, 12:17pm
Pink Floyd fans might recall this episode from the tragic life of guitarist Syd Barrett (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syd_Barrett):

In the book Crazy Diamond: Syd Barrett and the Dawn of Pink Floyd, authors Mike Watkinson and Pete Anderson included quotes from a story told to them by [Barrett's friend Storm] Thorgerson that underscored how volatile Barrett could be. "On one occasion, I had to pull him off Lynsey (Barrett's girlfriend at the time) because he was beating her over the head with a mandolin."

mandopete
Feb-17-2010, 12:58pm
Banjo - good fer killin' zombies!

fredfrank
Feb-17-2010, 6:53pm
Seems appropriate:

Zigeuner
Feb-17-2010, 11:54pm
Probably a tenor! With my conceal/carry permit, I usually only carry a banjo uke!

Yeah, probably a tenor. I have a 1923 Gibson TB-4 and I was toying with the idea of getting a CCW permit for it but now I've thought better of it. LOL.

I hope the banjo was still in a case when it was used as a weapon. :)

jim_n_virginia
Feb-18-2010, 9:12pm
I couldn't believe this when I read it. But, here in Colorado the banjo is considered a dangerous weapon....

Oh man that scene in Zombie Land cracked me up! Not only can you kill a Zombie with a banjo you can attract them too!

zombywoof
Feb-18-2010, 11:27pm
Could be downright lethal if Keef played one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyK0y02HvVc