PDA

View Full Version : Tell me something about Jade mandolins.

theguitarman92
Jan-03-2010, 10:18pm
Could someone tell me something about jade mandolins? I know there is an old post about this I need some info. What kind of instrument are they? Who makes them. How many of them were made? Are they good or are they just a so-so import or are they an actual handmade mandolin. I need as much info an I can get so anything will be helpful. Thanks in advance. :)

MikeEdgerton
Jan-03-2010, 10:21pm
Here (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/search.php?query=jade&exactname=0&starteronly=0&forumchoice%5B%5D=&prefixchoice%5B%5D=&childforums=1&titleonly=1&searchdate=0&beforeafter=after&do=process) is every thread that has the word Jade in the title. You should be able to find out everything there is to find out by looking through these. If you look for the threads started by Bob McRae you should have the entire history.

Scott Tichenor
Jan-03-2010, 10:24pm
It's my opinion and that of at least one dealer that used to carry them that they are no longer in business.

MikeEdgerton
Jan-03-2010, 10:43pm
I've been waiting for some confirmation of that. Bob hasn't been on here for a long time and the standard answer that the Internet connections in China are bad can only be used for so long. With that said, the above search thread is probably the definitive history of the company.

onassis
Jan-04-2010, 9:19am
I'm sorry to hear that. I acquired #8 (a JF18) back in the summer. Couldn't be happier with it. A great instrument for the price.

Capt. E
Jan-04-2010, 9:56am
Yes, it looks like Jade has disappeared (for now). Very nice mandolins, among the best of the chinese made instruments. I expect Bob will reappear at some time. Blame it on the economy. He has a passion for making quality mandolins and that doesn't just disappear. Hope we hear from him again soon.

Hans_k
Jan-05-2010, 3:30pm
Hope we hear from him again soon.

I hope so too!
Jade mandolins were, no ARE, great mandolins. I am very happy with mine!

skipdog
Feb-06-2013, 6:25pm
I own Jade "#50 Rob Black" custom bird's eye maple and an "Ole'37" extra wide neck with block inlays that has no label inside, was not signed or numbered or labeled by Bob McRee. I was told it was the last one to ship out. I've certainly researched the Jade story and have learned a piece at a time about Bob, I was originally just trying to get an "Ole'37" model yet found much more along the way. I'd like to thank Rob Black who I purchased the #50 from for telling me what he knew about Bob McRee and how Bob ended up in China making mandolins in the first place. And yes these are hand made, a gaggle at a time, probably 60 or 70 before they ended.

J.Albert
Feb-06-2013, 6:31pm
"I'd like to thank Rob Black who I purchased the #50 from for telling me what he knew about Bob McRee and how Bob ended up in China making mandolins in the first place. And yes these are hand made, a gaggle at a time, probably 60 or 70 before they ended."

I wonder if the Chinese folks who built for Mr. McRee are now building for any other makers whose mandolins are currently being sold in the U.S. market??

Caleb
Feb-08-2013, 11:41am
I always wanted a Jade for some reason. There was/is just some aura/vibe to them that I never could shake. There's been one of the earlier F's in a local shop for years now, way overpriced, just getting dusty on the wall. I thought the whole story was cool from the start. Odd how Bob just sort of vanished into thin air.

skipdog
May-02-2013, 3:26pm
Where would this local shop be? Send me a thread, I'd be interested in seeing this mando.

Caleb
May-03-2013, 11:46am
Where would this local shop be? Send me a thread, I'd be interested in seeing this mando.Waco Vintage Instruments in Mansfield, TX. This one is still on their site.
https://picasaweb.google.com/m/viewer#photo/105802297258331388374/5614038386630895441/5614038521216958034