PDA

View Full Version : Gavin Baird 2009 F4

Gavin Baird
Jan-03-2010, 7:49pm
2009 build of an F4, Englemann Spruce top and Big leaf Maple back and sides, arched finger board with "Banjo" sized stainless frets, mod. vine inlay in Abalone, "James" tail piece, Grover Nickel tuners, all wood binding, Cremona Plum spirit varnish satin finish..Thank you for taking the time...Gavin

Eric Hanson
Jan-03-2010, 7:59pm
Very nice. Is the sound hole smaller than most.
I really like the headstock inlay.

JEStanek
Jan-03-2010, 8:14pm
Very elegant, Gavin. Always a treat to see the new ones born.

Jamie

Chuck Naill
Jan-03-2010, 9:12pm
As always, Gavin, you get my full attention. The "plum" spirit varnish really satisfies the eyes.

How does Big Leaf differ tonally from other maple species?

Thank you for posting.

Have you ever finished a mandolin in a Gibson "Gold Rush" color? I am fond of pale yellow tones.

BlueMt.
Jan-03-2010, 9:34pm
That's a beauty, Gavin. The F4 is my is my visual favorite of the mandolin family.

Walt
Jan-03-2010, 11:43pm
Awesome Gavin! A Canadian band called the Dust Poets came down to Louisiana a few months ago, and their mando player was playing one of your F4 copies and it was amazing!

jasona
Jan-04-2010, 1:13am
Another beauty! Your finishes are smooth and perfect, and that colour is very attractive. Only Nugget does finishes as well IMO--I prefer this satin look.

Bertram Henze
Jan-04-2010, 6:13am
Awesome Gavin! A Canadian band called the Dust Poets came down to Louisiana a few months ago, and their mando player was playing one of your F4 copies and it was amazing!

That would be Corey Ticknor - he wrote a jig called "Gavin Baird's", second tune in this set (http://www.paythereckoning.com/CT1.mp3). :mandosmiley:

AW Meyer
Jan-04-2010, 1:53pm
Another beauty, Gavin. Well done.

Walt
Jan-04-2010, 4:25pm
That would be Corey Ticknor - he wrote a jig called "Gavin Baird's", second tune in this set (http://www.paythereckoning.com/CT1.mp3). :mandosmiley:

Yeah that's him. Great mando player. I think his mando was a black-top with sunburst back. Their band sat in and jammed with us on some bluegrass at Enoch's Pub. One of the funnest jams I had played in awhile. I especially liked it when their percussionist broke out the clarinet!

Randy Smith
Jan-04-2010, 9:07pm

Betram, thanks for posting that music. C.T. plays inspiring music.

Gavin, Congrats on another incredibly beautiful instrument. I hope whoever gets the mandolin has it for a long time and writes another tune named after you.

R.S.

kirksdad
Jan-05-2010, 8:11am
Beautiful..........

Don Grieser
Jan-05-2010, 10:13am
Thanks for posting the pix, Gavin. Looks wonderful in every way.

Skip Kelley
Jan-05-2010, 12:06pm
Gibson F4 look out! You have met your match!! That is a really fine looking mandolin! Gavin, that is a work of art!!

Darren Bailey
Jan-05-2010, 12:32pm
That has both classic lines and a shape of its own, beautiful. Does the size of the sound hole affect the tone or volume? I must stop looking at these, I'm content with my Kentucky. It's like a marriage, I'm faithful even when a pretty face walks by, but if I start looking too much at those curves I might be in trouble.

Bill James
Jan-05-2010, 5:59pm
I just love Gavin's finishes, they are truly amazing.

There's really only two mandolins that I lust after and one of them is Gavin's eggplant colored Peter O A model. Think I'll stop and buy a lottery ticket on the way home tonight.

Andrew DeMarco
Jan-05-2010, 6:08pm
Can we get a sound clip?

Elliot Luber
Jan-05-2010, 6:09pm
Wow! That is a beauty.

Gavin Baird
Jan-06-2010, 4:50pm
Thanks to all for your kind comments. For those who asked about the sound hole, the size determines the sound chamber resonant frequency and it is smaller..for those who want to hear a sound clip, actually a whole piece of music, see Bertram's post for access, the Mandolin is actually all Blue and I have attached a photo of when it was new. Once again thank you all..Best regards..Gavin