PDA

View Full Version : jamming

keymandoguy
Feb-11-2004, 11:47am
<= I have been playing mandolin now for 1 1/2 years playing once a week in a jam for 7 months. I thought i was starting to get to be a fairly good player ?This week a 5 piece band showed up to jam with us and I had to follow the mandolin player who made me feel rather inadequite even though he compimented me on my playing. how do you other guys handle this Decide to practice that much harder, shove it out of your mind , or just realize you aint that good yet!!I ll get there but taking longer than I thought http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

earthsave
Feb-11-2004, 11:52am
Do all three of those. There is always gonna be someone better than you at least at some aspect of playing.

Andrew Reckhart
Feb-11-2004, 11:55am
I have the same problem. Every time I feel like I am about to break through to the really good catagory somebody comes along and just blows my doors off. I guess that is a good thing, because it humbles me, shows me areas that I need to improve upon, and I can usually steal one or two of the better players licks and get some really good advice from them. I also get very inspired by superior players and find that I practyice harder if I know that they are going to be at the jam or in the crowd.

(sing it with 'Finding Nemo' in mind)
Just keep picking....just keep picking.....just keep picking

Michael H Geimer
Feb-11-2004, 12:10pm
" ... and I had to follow the mandolin player who made me feel rather inadequite even though he compimented me on my playing. "

I think you got a nice compliment from someone you think is a good player. That compliment if a fact, while your persepction of being inadequate is likely fiction. That is, I believe this guy gave you a sincere compliment, maybe you should too.

It will always help you to play with those who are above your skill level - story of my life! LOL!

Shrug of your concerns and get back out there next week ... and enjoy the music!

- Benignus

mrbook
Feb-11-2004, 12:28pm
Just like western gunfighters, there is always someone better to come along - at least here you will live to play another day. Listen to other people, enjoy their playing, and steal what you can from them. It's not always a matter of "better" as it being different - everyone has their own way of playing, and jams are a great place to hear what others are playing.

On a related matter - when I attend a great concert or jam session and see someone really good, it always inspires me to play more and try new things. Not to copy that person, but good playing shows how much fun it can be to play music. A couple of my friends say that when they hear someone really good (usually the same show) it makes them consider giving up playing, because they will never be that good - or worse, they say it makes them want to cut their fingers off (a drastic move). I've never thought that in 40 years of playing. How do others feel?

duuuude
Feb-11-2004, 12:38pm
Guess it kinda boils down to why you're playing, to feed an ego or to make music. Better players will always be around, use them for inspiration and enjoy their abilities, we can't all quit playin just because Monroe, Bush, Thile or someone does it better.
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif

Michael H Geimer
Feb-11-2004, 1:20pm
" ... it makes them consider giving up playing, because they will never be that good. "

Those comments always remind me of the signs at amuzement parks that read ...

YOU MUST BE THIS TALL TO GO ON THIS RIDE

LOL! It too bad really, that so many people - player and listeners alike - are so quick to judge and criticize musical performances - their own or others. I've seen this sort of insecurity keep some players I've known from going out to play in public. All becuase they don't think they're good enough, 'cause they can't play as well as #INSERT FAMOUS PLAYER NAME HERE.

I've been a happy but simple player for years, and while I do continue to get better and better, my desire to play faster, more, etc. has diminished with every improvement.

- Benig

John Zimm
Feb-11-2004, 1:29pm
I've been a happy but simple player for years, and while I do continue to get better and better, my desire to play faster, more, etc. has diminished with every improvement.
That is cool to read. One of the things I like about Bill Monroe's playing is that a lot of his intros were simple but effective. One comment I remember from a classical guitar book is that speed is a tool to use for a musical end, and not an end in itself.

Now, if only I could get my attempts at jamming to sound more musical, I'll be in business. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

-John.

John Flynn
Feb-11-2004, 5:22pm
"Some days you're the windshield. Some days you're the bug!"

Jamming is like that. Sometimes you will be really on. Sometimes, nothing seems to go right. Often the bad days are coincidental with some change, like new people in the jam, but sometimes not. You know, when I am not "on" my mandolin does not even sound right. I may have good strings and be perfectly set up and in tune, but to me, it sounds like there is something wrong with my axe. I sounds tinny, or "dead." I used to get upset. Now I smile inside and say to myself, "I think I'd rather not do any solos today. I'm gonna work on my rhythm playing." The magic will return at some jam later.

Sellars
Feb-12-2004, 2:42am
I would say: Learn from him!

If he's better than you, try to determine why you think that is.

What is that guy doing that you think is better than your playing.

is it his timing, his improvisational skills, (simply) his speed, etc.

If you can break it down to small pieces, and can determine why it is you find him so good, you're allready halfway in getting just as good.

You could ofcourse also ask him to show you some things, or to ply one in a while on a one to one basis.

in short: assimilate this guy, drain him from every last bit of mando knowledge he has http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

R

mando bandage
Feb-12-2004, 6:52am
The magic will return at some jam later.

Sometimes the Muse visits, sometimes she don't. Just make sure you keep inviting her.

R

jeffshuniak
Feb-12-2004, 2:37pm
hey, if you can gig out and sound decent, then do.

if you waite until you are "good enough" you may NEVER gig at all.