PDA

View Full Version : Neckstrap, and pick guard questions

mandolindude04
Jan-02-2010, 6:58pm
I have an Epiphone F style Mandolin that I got from Guitar Center a couple of years ago. The neckstrap slips and slides all over the place. I wear it like I see some Mandolin players do, with it slung on one shoulder, so you don't have to take off your ten gallon hat to play the thing. Is this the correct way to do it, or is there a better way? Should I leave the pick guard on, or take it off? It seems to get in the way when I attempt a tremolo.

Tim2723
Jan-02-2010, 7:14pm
Hi Thomas and welcome to the forum.

There's only one meaningful answer as far as I'm concerned, and that's to do what works for you. If the pick guard is a problem, remove it. A lot of players take them off, others add them to mandolins that didn't come with one. If tying the strap to the headstock gives you better control, do that. If wearing it across your back works, that's OK. There are no hard rules about those things. The only wrong things are those that limit us or slow our progress.

fishtownmike
Jan-02-2010, 7:23pm
Only if you wear a ten gallon hat. I never have seen a mandolin player wear the strap over one shoulder in person. I have only seen picture of a few who do it. My belief is it's better over the head. You have more control over the instrument that way. As for the pick guard I call it a finger rest since thats what it really is. I have never once hit mine while picking. So is it really there to protect the top from wild picking? I have some where I have removed it and some i didn't and I have seen no real problem with either way. I pivot slightly from the pinky for some things and can do it fine with the finger rest or without one. Its all about whats comfortable to you. Take it off and try it. If you don't like it you can always put it back on. Mike

Tim2723
Jan-02-2010, 7:29pm
When Mike says over the head and I say across the back, it's the same thing: like a guitar.

mandroid
Jan-02-2010, 9:08pm
on your right shoulder .. it's like eyeglasses , get used to pushing it back up.
after a while you wont notice how often you have to do it.

Pick guard shouldn't be holding back your tremolo, technique , perhaps.

Ivan Kelsall
Jan-03-2010, 2:48am
Maybe your strap simply needs a piece of rough material of some sort attached to the side that goes over your shoulder to add some friction.Try a 8" piece of self adhesive Velcro hooks stuck to it,on the part that goes over your shoulder,that should sort it out as long as you're not wearing clothing that's really 'fluffy' - or you'll never get it off (the opposite problem). One of my straps is one that i made from the strap on one of my wife's old shoulder bags. It's really shiny leather.I play with the strap around my back & it will slide around,but, as long as the Mandolin's clamped under my picking hand,it's fine.
If the pickguard isn't needed,& it's in your way,remove it,
Ivan

fishtownmike
Jan-03-2010, 3:27am
Staples work well:)

mandolindude04
Jan-03-2010, 9:02am
Thanks for the feedback everyone. This is a great way to ask questions. I enjoy playing the Mandolin, but I know I will never get really good at it in this lifetime. Guitar suits me better, as I am a fairly large man with large hands. I find fast picking a really hard thing to do, and finding time to practice is a challenge as well. I play trombone, guitar, mandolin, harmonica, and I'm trying to learn how to plink around on the piano too. That's one of the resolutions I want to accomplish in 2010. My Mom tried to teach me piano when I was a kid, but I was far more interested in playing stickball in the street, riding bikes, and hanging around on the street corners....This was back in the sixties, when kids didn't have video games and such.

mandroid
Jan-03-2010, 5:47pm
A shirt with Epaulettes , a strap on the shoulders that buttons near the collar would solve slippage off too,
Maybe get them on one of those Embroidered Satin shirts to make sure they notice the mandolin player ..
;)

:popcorn:

MikeEdgerton
Jan-03-2010, 5:55pm
I play with the strap over my right shoulder. You get used to it and it really is easier to switch instruments when you wear a hat.