PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone identify this mandolin?

hunter548
Jan-01-2010, 3:55pm
I inherited this mandolin and would like help in identifying the manufacturer. I believe it was purchased in the late 70's or early 80's, but the only identifying marks are the tailpiece logo and a "Made in Japan" sticker on the back of the head piece. thanks for your help.

Glassweb
Jan-01-2010, 4:32pm
looks like one of the early Ibanez A-models that first hit the shores here in the mid 1970's. at about $65.00 back then it was alot of bang for the buck... the first ones i ever saw were a red/black sunburst. perhaps the blondies came a bit later

lenf12
Jan-01-2010, 5:57pm
Yes, as Glassweb says, it is an Ibanez model #512. I had one a few years ago that was very decent sounding. It had a solid spruce top with EI rosewood back and sides and a mahogany neck. The black paint on the neck was quite sticky so I removed it. I also replaced the bridge with a nice ebony bridge. They are really good "beater" mandolins. You can scroll down near the bottom of this page for a brochure picture and a bit more information (in really small print).

http://www.noahjames.com/vintagepage/banjo.html

Len B.
Clearwater, FL

Glassweb
Jan-01-2010, 6:17pm
thanks for the added info Len. gee, it seems like the 65 bucks i bought these for up in Vancouver BC was a steal! must have been the exchange rates back then... no doubt!

lenf12
Jan-03-2010, 9:56am
It must have been the exchange rate. I bought mine for $160 in very used condition without a case. It doesn't sound like much of a deal but the seller (at the NYC Guitar Show around 1998 or so) was asking $275. It took a lot of haggling and patience to get it at my price. It was a good enough mandolin that I took it to Europe in 1999 on tour with the Providence Mandolin Orchestra. I left the expensive Gibsons at home in favor of the worry free Ibanez 512. Good little mandolin. I would buy these all day long for $65 (if I could find them at that price). Hey Hunter548, are you interested in selling it??

Len B.
Clearwater, FL